Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NYP: Jets coaches comparing Landry to Ravens' Reed

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Let me just say one more thing on this though, any quote that begins, "as good as Ed Reed..." attached to a player that has been in the league already and has not wowed like Ed Reed should be looked at exactle as it is, blather. Tell me some kid I've never heard of, who hasn't played a snap in the league yet reminds the coaches of a young Ed Reed, and I think I would be more excited. This is just another guy on the roster, who was not allnworld elsewhere before.
    I for one am shocked that Landry healed with that holistic approach, but he seems to be back. In all fairness he is an amazing specimen when healthy. No one thought he would be. This could be huge for us....and for the doctor that treated him.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Lol, a bit extreme here SAR
    Perhaps, but I can't recall a one year period as extreme as this one.

A year ago, we're Super Bowl favorites, we're checking Tweets every 60 seconds as we add luxuries like Plaxico Burress and are in the running for Nnamdi Asomugha to strengthen an already-powerful roster after destroying the Patriots in the playoffs and turning the worm against Brady and Belichick for a new era of Jets supremacy.

Today, we're an 8-8 team on the heels of an 0-3 collapse watching the Giants and Patriots in the Super Bowl because we couldn't stop them under a head coach who turned out to be a fraud running a strategy that can't win in today's NFL and a GM that thinks newspaper coverage gets him closer to a Lombardi.

Yeah, extreme all right.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

A year ago, we're Super Bowl favorites, we're checking Tweets every 60 seconds as we add luxuries like Plaxico Burress and are in the running for Nnamdi Asomugha to strengthen an already-powerful roster after destroying the Patriots in the playoffs and turning the worm against Brady and Belichick for a new era of Jets supremacy.

Today, we're an 8-8 team on the heels of an 0-3 collapse watching the Giants and Patriots in the Super Bowl because we couldn't stop them under a head coach who turned out to be a fraud running a strategy that can't win in today's NFL.
    Yeah, extreme all right.

SAR I
    Shottenheimer had a lot to do with the teams failures imho, but that's for another thread. I still like Rex as our coach.

All Pro
    I'll tell you why:

Because we've had it up to here with the non-football nonsense since January and our head coach continues to humiliate the franchise and its fans.

SAR I
    Proving my point is SAR. Only reads the headline, and jumps to conclusions. Always negative because he has more than his share of humility and humbleness.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You left out the is.. He also said; They’re different,” Thurman said. “Ed is a great ball-hawk. He can play center field. But LaRon Landry is a different animal. He is an explosive, fast athlete that can do a variety of things for us. Jet fans still lead the league in whinning..
    My gawd...No kidding.

Hall Of Fame

Today, we're an 8-8 team on the heels of an 0-3 collapse watching the Giants and Patriots in the Super Bowl because we couldn't stop them under a head coach who turned out to be a fraud running a strategy that can't win in today's NFL and a GM that thinks newspaper coverage gets him closer to a Lombardi.

Yeah, extreme all right.

SAR I
    That is the NFL in a nutshell. Things change very quickly. 3 weeks is a lifetime. 2010 was an eternity ago. Some people fail to recognize that.

All Pro
    Cmon I loved the Landry signing but he isn't half the ballhawk Ed Reed is/was. (I know he said that he isn't the same kind of player Reed is, but then why make the comparison?)

I hope to be wrong though...

Jets fans on this board really hate optimisim.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Cmon I loved the Landry signing but he isn't half the ballhawk Ed Reed is/was. (I know he said that he isn't the same kind of player Reed is, but then why make the comparison?)

I hope to be wrong though...
    Because it gives Jet fans a chance to whine even when you admit he said their not the same.. Is there a law against comparisons?? I remember when Chaddy cakes was being compared to a young Montana.. In all sports some players are compared to a former player..

All Pro
    Because it gives Jet fans a chance to whine even when you admit he said their not the same.. Is there a law against comparisons?? I remember when Chaddy cakes was being compared to a young Montana.. In all sports some players are compared to a former player..
    No one's whining here sir....there's no law against comparisons, just like there isn't a law stating that I have to agree with them.

Like I said I loved the Landry signing and I hope he stays healthy and becomes that true playmaker we need out there at Safety....

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    No one's whining here sir....there's no law against comparisons, just like there isn't a law stating that I have to agree with them. Like I said I loved the Landry signing and I hope he stays healthy and becomes that true playmaker we need out there at Safety....
    That's right...And there is no law for you to misquote what he said either..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    I have a feeling we will be franchising Landry after this season. If of course we don't reach a multi year deal after the season.
    We can't - his 1 yr deal prohibits the Jets from franchising him.

If he has a good (and healthy) year, he's going up for auction. He wants that last big payday. If its from the Jets, great. But JMO, he's taking the most money this off season, regardless where its from.

I remember seeing his place in VA in some magazine a while back. This dude is a spender. IIRC, he lived alone with his mean looking dog and had a 10k sq ft house. The kind of joint that was over the top lavish but sucks for resale because the walls spell out LSU Tigers (or something of that nature).

He's gonna have a good year and its gonna be "Show me the money!"

Edit: Here it is. I was off - 13k house....with a dog and a monkey, appparently.

http://www.homeanddesign.com/article.asp?article=21048
    Last edited by crasherino; 08-07-2012 at 09:46 AM.

All Pro
    That's right...And there is no law for you to misquote what he said either..
    Touche!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Sorry but I've never seen humility, and humbleness get anyone anywhere. They get you walked on, and abused. Self confidence, and assertiveness will take you places. My favorite saying is "Good things come to those who wait." Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Good things come to those that go out and get them. Nobody's gonna come knock on your door with good things. Thank you for your patience.
    You can be self confident and assertive while showing humility and humbleness:

Derek Jeter, Jerricho Cotchery, Steve Nash, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Bernie Williams, Mike Thomlin, Chad Pennington, Tom Coughlin, David Wright, Clyde Frazier, Kevin Durant, Terry Colins, Joe Girardi, Michael Phelps, Charles Oakley, and Kevin Garrnett are some players/coaches off the top of my head who have had success over a long period of time showing characteristics of humility and humbleness without sacrificing self confidence and assertiveness.

Its very difficult to make a list of "winners" who act and speak like Rex, Holmes, Cro, etc..............

Jets Insider VIP
    Listen I love everything about the Jets and have for most of my life, howver comparing Landry to arguably one of the greatest to have played the position is silly, and something I thought the team was going to get away from. Let's go win some games first okay.
    Superbowl baby

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Jets fans on this board really hate optimisim.
    It's because the fanbase is made up largely of Italians and Jews, both equally adept at incessantly complaining.

The only comparison made was that Landry is a better all-around athlete, from a purely physical point of view.

I think even Reed might agree with that.

I doubt Thurman brought up the Ed Reed comparison on his own. The quote sounds as if somebody asked him if Landry can be the Jets "Ed Reed" and he answered honestly saying he might be a better athlete. He is bigger, faster and stronger, so that isn't hard to believe. Reed has instincts and a knack of being around the ball that Landry will prolly never have.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    We can't - his 1 yr deal prohibits the Jets from franchising him.

If he has a good (and healthy) year, he's going up for auction. He wants that last big payday. If its from the Jets, great. But JMO, he's taking the most money this off season, regardless where its from.

I remember seeing his place in VA in some magazine a while back. This dude is a spender. IIRC, he lived alone with his mean looking dog and had a 10k sq ft house. The kind of joint that was over the top lavish but sucks for resale because the walls spell out LSU Tigers (or something of that nature).

He's gonna have a good year and its gonna be "Show me the money!"

Edit: Here it is. I was off - 13k house....with a dog and a monkey, appparently.

http://www.homeanddesign.com/article.asp?article=21048
    If you sign a player to a 1 year deal you can't franchise them when they become an UFA?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    If you sign a player to a 1 year deal you can't franchise them when they become an UFA?
    You can (with any contract).....unless the contract explicitly states that the team waives that right. In the Landry deal (as well as the Revis deal - and others), part of the agreement is that the team agreed to waive the right to Franchise him after the contract expired.

He bargained for that provision because he views this year as a tryout in order to show everyone he's healthy. Fair move on Landry's part as he wasn't getting a big time/long term deal with the state that his achillies is in right now.