Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NYP: Jets coaches comparing Landry to Ravens' Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    It's because the fanbase is made up largely of Italians and Jews, both equally adept at incessantly complaining.

lol, I fall into one of those categories and can vouch for the stereotype

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    We can't - his 1 yr deal prohibits the Jets from franchising him.

If he has a good (and healthy) year, he's going up for auction. He wants that last big payday. If its from the Jets, great. But JMO, he's taking the most money this off season, regardless where its from.

I remember seeing his place in VA in some magazine a while back. This dude is a spender. IIRC, he lived alone with his mean looking dog and had a 10k sq ft house. The kind of joint that was over the top lavish but sucks for resale because the walls spell out LSU Tigers (or something of that nature).

He's gonna have a good year and its gonna be "Show me the money!"

Edit: Here it is. I was off - 13k house....with a dog and a monkey, appparently.

http://www.homeanddesign.com/article.asp?article=21048
    You're right...pictures of that house says it all.

I love Landry...he's an impact player that can be a force on this Jets defense, if he can stay healthy.

But the Jets are going to be hard pressed to try and extend Revis' contract to both parties mutual satisfaction. And I just don't see Landry settling for anything less then what the market is willing to pay him.

I have no hard feelings if Laron embraces the huge sack of $money$ that some other team will throw at him. I just want Landry to have a year he's capable of. Giving the Jets great safety play that this team hasn't seen in ages.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You can (with any contract).....unless the contract explicitly states that the team waives that right. In the Landry deal (as well as the Revis deal - and others), part of the agreement is that the team agreed to waive the right to Franchise him after the contract expired.

He bargained for that provision because he views this year as a tryout in order to show everyone he's healthy. Fair move on Landry's part as he wasn't getting a big time/long term deal with the state that his achillies is in right now.
    Ok thanks! I didn't realize he negotiated that into his deal. Smart on his part.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    You're right...pictures of that house says it all.

I love Landry...he's an impact player that can be a force on this Jets defense, if he can stay healthy.

But the Jets are going to be hard pressed to try and extend Revis' contract to both parties mutual satisfaction. And I just don't see Landry settling for anything less then what the market is willing to pay him.

I have no hard feelings if Laron embraces the huge sack of $money$ that some other team will throw at him. I just want Landry to have a year he's capable of. Giving the Jets great safety play that this team hasn't seen in ages.
    Agreed - everyone went into this season with their eyes open as to Landry. He accepted part of the risk by virtue of taking non-guaranteed bonuses for every game he plays. But, on the flip side, the Jets can't franchise him. Based on this deal, he's got every incentive to play hard every game. The Jets structured the deal well. Biggest problem is if they end up getting too good a deal and Landry turns out to be a truly elite Safety. At that point, you have to hope he really likes playing for Rex and would give the Jets at least a first shot to sign him.

But, inevitably we'll hear the complainers whining that he's disloyal for moving on in 2013, if that's what happens as everyone has a short memory.

Banned
    Agreed - everyone went into this season with their eyes open as to Landry. He accepted part of the risk by virtue of taking non-guaranteed bonuses for every game he plays. But, on the flip side, the Jets can't franchise him. Based on this deal, he's got every incentive to play hard every game. The Jets structured the deal well. Biggest problem is if they end up getting too good a deal and Landry turns out to be a truly elite Safety. At that point, you have to hope he really likes playing for Rex and would give the Jets at least a first shot to sign him.

But, inevitably we'll hear the complainers whining that he's disloyal for moving on in 2013, if that's what happens as everyone has a short memory.
    This is Landry's opportunity at a final large payday and if he plays 16 games at a high level, he will get that contract.

Unfortunately for the Jets, he will go to whatever team pays him the most money.

Still a very good low risk/high potential signing for the Jets this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    That's great, hope he plays all 20 including Playoffs.
    Fixed
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    This is Landry's opportunity at a final large payday and if he plays 20 games at a high level, he will get that contract.

Unfortunately for the Jets, he will go to whatever team pays him the most money.

Fixed

I can hope

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Jets fans on this board really hate optimisim.
    I guess that all depends on how many years one has gone through being optimistic only to be let down.

Perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Listen I love everything about the Jets and have for most of my life, howver comparing Landry to arguably one of the greatest to have played the position is silly, and something I thought the team was going to get away from. Let's go win some games first okay.
    It's not silly at all.. WHen a safety gets drafted 6th overall, a lot of people are absolutely comparing him to Ed Reed.

And read the specifics of the comments either way... They aren't saying he's going to be as good or better than Reed, just comparing. Atheltically and physically he's better than Reed. He's bigger, faster, and stronger. What makes Reed great however is his brain and instincts and that's why Reed is the better safety. I'm sure each Jets coach agrees that Reed is the better safety.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    This is Landry's opportunity at a final large payday and if he plays 16 games at a high level, he will get that contract.

Which is why I said the best that the Jets could hope for is for him to do them the courtesy of speaking to them first. Or, at least giving them a chance to match whatever offer he gets.

If he likes playing for Rex and his defense, you could at least envision him allowing the Jets to come reasonably close to matching other offers he gets on the open market. Considering the (relative) discount he's playing for this year, that's all you could legitimately hope for.

But, that would be a lot of money dedicated to the secondary to have 1) the highest paid CB (which is coming shortly) 2) a #2 CB who is basically being paid like mid level #1 CB and then 3) a high priced, injury prone SS. On the flip side though, Cro could come off the books after 2013 so its possible in theory.

And yes, I fully realize that we are getting ahead of ourselves and already giving Landry credit for a great season that hasn't happened yet.

Banned

And yes, I fully realize that we are getting ahead of ourselves and already giving Landry credit for a great season that hasn't happened yet.
    If he makes it through 16 games, he will have a very good season.

He's a very talented safety, and the only thing holding him back have been the injuries.

Let me just say one more thing on this though, any quote that begins, "as good as Ed Reed..." attached to a player that has been in the league already and has not wowed like Ed Reed should be looked at exactle as it is, blather. Tell me some kid I've never heard of, who hasn't played a snap in the league yet reminds the coaches of a young Ed Reed, and I think I would be more excited. This is just another guy on the roster, who was not allnworld elsewhere before.
    I haven't read the whole thread and maybe somone brought it up already but it doesn't make sense in any context for him to start off his sentence with "as good as..."

I think there were more words prior to the statement, like say...

Reporter: What's his ceiling
    Thurman: I feel he can be as good as Ed Reed

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread and maybe somone brought it up already but it doesn't make sense in any context for him to start off his sentence with "as good as..."

I think there were more words prior to the statement, like say...

Reporter: What's his ceiling
    Thurman: I feel he can be as good as Ed Reed
    not even.

all Thurman said is that Landry is just about the most athletically-gifted safety he's ever coached, even when compared to Ed Reed.

the assessment is made from the purely physical standpoint. nobody was comparing skills, play-making ability or football instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    not even.

all Thurman said is that Landry is just about the most athletically-gifted safety he's ever coached, even when compared to Ed Reed.

the assessment is made from the purely physical standpoint. nobody was comparing skills, play-making ability or football instincts.
    Makes sense when combined with the latter quote in the OP...

Thanks for clarifying.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    You can be self confident and assertive while showing humility and humbleness:

Derek Jeter, Jerricho Cotchery, Steve Nash, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Bernie Williams, Mike Thomlin, Chad Pennington, Tom Coughlin, David Wright, Clyde Frazier, Kevin Durant, Terry Colins, Joe Girardi, Michael Phelps, Charles Oakley, and Kevin Garrnett are some players/coaches off the top of my head who have had success over a long period of time showing characteristics of humility and humbleness without sacrificing self confidence and assertiveness.

Its very difficult to make a list of "winners" who act and speak like Rex, Holmes, Cro, etc..............
    Well that would be the key right there. So you're putting on an air of humility, while actually believing you're the best. Showing humility, and being humble are two different things. You can't be proud and humble at the same time. Those are opposites. You can act humble though so as to not show up others. That I can agree with.

Bewildered Beast
    You know I'm not a whinner, I guess I'm just tiring of the superlatives before anything gets accomplished.
    Another Rex SuperlativeMan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    not even.

I agree.

The writer created his own "story."

I heard Landry stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night too....

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm with jetswin - we don't need no hyperbole at this point of the pre-season.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I heard Landry stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night too....
    Did he pull a hammy when he got up in the middle of the night to take a leak?

Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    It's because the fanbase is made up largely of Italians and Jews, both equally adept at incessantly complaining.
    Being Irish, I would not mind knowing the breakdown.