Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannebaum to Blame for lack of depth

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Tannebaum to Blame for lack of depth

Through the years Tannebaum has made many decisions we've liked (especially his drafts). He has also made many decisions that have really hurt this team and I believe this year he has.

Going into the season the Jets had a number of question marks.

1. What do we do at right tackle? Do we draft someone, sign someone in free agency or trade for someone? Well he let the draft and free agency go by and nothing. He tried to trade for an injury plagued player and catch lightning in a bottle. Right now we are stuck with a bad right tackle situation that could hurt us this year. Maybe we will sing someone after being released but this reminds me of 2007 when we had Adrian Clark and the team suffered with him.

2. We have one proven receiver and we sign an injury plagued veteran and draft a rookie with a ton of potential (it takes 2-3 years for receivers to develop). Now Holmes hurts his ribs (which could linger the rest of the year) and it leaves Sanchez with only really Keller to throw to with experience.

Defensively he seems to have addressed though I would've liked another quick linebacker or two.

The lack of depth at receiver and at the offensive line can really do us in this year. The lack of depth at the center position will really hurt us if Mangold goes down and we saw that with Colin Baxter last year.

I hope that we can make these corrections or I can see a repeat of 07 where we underachieve because the lack of depth and us sticking with a player (Wayne Hunter) who can't do his job and gets our qbs destroyed. Just look at the Ravens game from last year. Sanchez and the offense never recovered.

Just wondering what others think.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with ya. Very concerned about RT, the backup linemen, and our WR situation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    its not that easy...they still have all preseason to address some of your concerns...RT worries me though...Happy Feet(Sanchez) gonna dance all over if that remains a problem...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    can we blame Tanny for a lack of depth at WR when he drafted 2 this season, including Hill in the 2nd round. It's a problem they are trying to fix.

as for Right tackle, I don't know what people expect. Mitchell Schwartz is a starting right tackle for the browns, he was taken with a high 2nd. Cordy Glenn was also off the board before the Jets pick. The Jets couldn't get Stephen Hill and a right tackle.

JMO the WR situation was worse than the RT situation and you can't fix all the team's problems in one draft.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis byrd 90 View Post
    Through the years Tannebaum has made many decisions we've liked (especially his drafts). He has also made many decisions that have really hurt this team and I believe this year he has.

1. What do we do at right tackle? Do we draft someone, sign someone in free agency or trade for someone? Well he let the draft and free agency go by and nothing. He tried to trade for an injury plagued player and catch lightning in a bottle. Right now we are stuck with a bad right tackle situation that could hurt us this year. Maybe we will sing someone after being released but this reminds me of 2007 when we had Adrian Clark and the team suffered with him.

2. We have one proven receiver and we sign an injury plagued veteran and draft a rookie with a ton of potential (it takes 2-3 years for receivers to develop). Now Holmes hurts his ribs (which could linger the rest of the year) and it leaves Sanchez with only really Keller to throw to with experience.

Defensively he seems to have addressed though I would've liked another quick linebacker or two.

The lack of depth at receiver and at the offensive line can really do us in this year. The lack of depth at the center position will really hurt us if Mangold goes down and we saw that with Colin Baxter last year.

I hope that we can make these corrections or I can see a repeat of 07 where we underachieve because the lack of depth and us sticking with a player (Wayne Hunter) who can't do his job and gets our qbs destroyed. Just look at the Ravens game from last year. Sanchez and the offense never recovered.

Tanny has never been shy about making moves. I think this has more to do with lost revenue from unsold club seats, etc. In other words Woody has tightened the purse strings.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel that Tannebaum has had a total transformation from Mangini to Rex. When Mangini was HC we drafted well and did not give up as many picks for marginal players. Under Rex, Tannenbaum has been average to slightly below. Giving up too many picks for players we do not need or have failed. It shows with our depth.......

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea who our backup linemen are. Do any of them have potential?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes and no.

Yes, we are weak at key spots and it's going to hurt us this season.

No, it's not entirely Mike Tannenbaum's fault. Since 2007, he's clearly been under orders to sign every sexy free agent possible to stir up interest in the team and help sell tickets in the new stadium. Favre, Faneca, Franks, Jenkins, Law, Pace, Richardson, Woody, Izzo, Leonhard, Scott, Taylor, Cromartie, Burress, Mason, and Tomlinson weren't just players of need; they were names intended to make a splash.

The price we pay for the free agent spending spree and the 2 AFCCG's is that for a few years we've got no up-and-coming depth because we traded away draft picks, we've got aging ex-stars with fat contracts, and we've got a cap situation that needs a timeout so we are set for 2014.

So, yes we've got problems that a GM can solve but no, it's not Mike Tannenbaum's fault. He did a great job from 1997-2010, made us a 10 win playoff caliber team year after year. He'll do it again when he can.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gave away too many picks, it catches up to you.

And the picks we've made havent been slam dunks either.

The big picks we've made on offense recently, not counting Hill...have been Shonn Greene and Mark Sanchez...both players we traded up for and both have been mediocre at best.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eh, that's a stretch SAR. Look at some of those names. They weren't splashy players but filled big needs. You think they signed Faneca and Woody to make a splash? Really? They needed a LG and RT and they were good at those positions. We also desperately needed a DT (Jenkins) and some linebackers (Pace and Scott).

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Yes and no.

No, it's not entirely Mike Tannenbaum's fault. Since 2007, he's clearly been under orders to sign every sexy free agent possible to stir up interest in the team and help sell tickets in the new stadium. Favre, Faneca, Franks, Jenkins, Law, Pace, Richardson, Woody, Izzo, Leonhard, Scott, Taylor, Cromartie, Burress, Mason, and Tomlinson weren't just players of need; they were names intended to make a splash.

The price we pay for the free agent spending spree and the 2 AFCCG's is that for a few years we've got no up-and-coming depth because we traded away draft picks, we've got aging ex-stars with fat contracts, and we've got a cap situation that needs a timeout so we are set for 2014.

So, yes we've got problems that a GM can solve but no, it's not Mike Tannenbaum's fault. He did a great job from 1997-2010, made us a 10 win playoff caliber team year after year. He'll do it again when he can.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have never really been upset at Tanny using picks to trade up to get guys they want. However he has wasted a LOT o later round picks over the last few years and if we get even a player or two out of some of those later round picks we are much further ahead.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow is the only example of this team going for "star value" over filling actual needs. All those players you listed were meant to fill holes on this team.

Woody Johnson: "We have no FB. Sign Tony Richardson, though, because he's the one that the fans will get excited about!"

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Yes and no.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Salz View Post
    Tebow is the only example of this team going for "star value" over filling actual needs. All those players you listed were meant to fill holes on this team.

Woody Johnson: "We have no FB. Sign Tony Richardson, though, because he's the one that the fans will get excited about!"
    It wasnt the only reason he was drafted, but Woody definitely saw Sanchez as a marketing piece. Especially over someone like Josh Freeman.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eh, that's a stretch SAR. Look at some of those names. They weren't splashy players but filled big needs. You think they signed Faneca and Woody to make a splash? Really? They needed a LG and RT and they were good at those positions. We also desperately needed a DT (Jenkins) and some linebackers (Pace and Scott).
    There was a pace to the signings, seemed like not a week could go by without the Jets making some sort of noise in the papers and getting free agents to sign up. Some were very noisy (Favre) some only noisy to a diehard fan in-the-know (Richardson) but both were intended to help fill the stadium. A Favre signing would potentially entice a fringe fan, a Richardson signing would entice a knowledgeable one.

The Jets need for noise continues to this very day, Tebow a perfect example of that. Until the stadium is sold completely, this stuff continues.

SAR I

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a general statement, not directed towards you. I don't understand why people keep having to say that our lack of depth is b/c Tanny sucks. The reason we have a depth problem is simple and every fan is to blame. When Tanny went out and signed the "core four" (Revis, Mangold, Harris, DBrick) everybody cheered and said that we had to do that. We also drafted a QB top 5 before the rookie salary cap came into play which is costing us a fortune but at the time we desperately needed a young QB to provide us with hope. I don't blame Tanny for that. Also, we needed a #1 WR after 2010 and their were slim pickings out there. After the way Holmes performed in the 2010 season there are few people who said that he wasn't a #1. We could argue if they paid him $1-2 million more per year then was necessary but we don't know what other offers he had. So I don't blame Tanny for that b/c hindsight is 20/20. The Cromartie deal is interesting. We paid him more then he was worth in my opinion but we needed him. It's not like we're paying Cromartie or Holmes double what they are worth, it's more like $1-2 million a year more. That won't kill your teams salary cap. You can't sit here and beg the front office to sign really talented guys for a lot of money and then complain about our perceived lack of depth. The question is would you rather have the 7 guys I mentioned or lost 2 or 3 of them for an additional 5 back up players that may never see the field. I would rather have a strong starting lineup with few holes then a weaker starting lineup with a deeper bench. It's the difference between the Jets and the Jaguars in my opinion.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    The defense is deep at pretty much every position.

On offense, I don't think depth is the issue, it's that the starters at the skill positions are all pretty much average. No elite receivers, running backs, tight ends. And the QB has a lot to prove.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Newsflash...Every team has position(s) with ?'s and lack of depth at positions..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

If you believe this and work backwards off the belief you can convince yourself of anything.

But if you believe they think that Tebow can help them win, that he was worth the low price tag we paid, kind of blows this up.

Teams don't have depth, most do, name me the complete team with three solid units loaded with talent. And then show us how all part of the team are loaded depth wise. There's a cap to deal with that makes it hard to fill a roster top to bottom and then makes it next to impossible to keep all.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 08-07-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I feel that Tannebaum has had a total transformation from Mangini to Rex. When Mangini was HC we drafted well and did not give up as many picks for marginal players. Under Rex, Tannenbaum has been average to slightly below. Giving up too many picks for players we do not need or have failed. It shows with our depth.......
    2006 Draft - 10 picks - only D'Brick, Mangold (both #1s), ESmith, BSmith and Leon (both 4s) amounted to anything..DColeman is a jag

2007 - 4 picks - Revis, Harris...Stuckey was a Jag

2008 - 6 picks - DKeller..Lowery was a Jag

I don't know exactly the % but I believe there are more UDFAs in the NFL playing than 7th round picks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need a pro bowler at every position and a pro bowler for every back up, Tanny freaking sucks at this!