Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tannebaum to Blame for lack of depth

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    We need a pro bowler at every position and a pro bowler for every back up, Tanny freaking sucks at this!
    And cut a pro bowler from every position

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, can we actually wait for the season to start before we start attacking Tannenbaum?

One 8-8 year and now its like boom the Jets will suck forever.

Second,

Go back and tell me which moves Tanny made that scream oh yeah that was stupid and obvious and that killed our depth.

You could argue Kris Jenkins to some degree but while he was here he was an absolute monster and without him I don't think the Jets win their first three games in 2009. That move did cost some depth.

Braylon Edwards- I mean are any of us really complaining about losing guys like Stuckey and Trusnik. Even though he was only here for 2 years I still do that trade again. What he did getting the Jets to two AFC Championship games was important. I also think not having him really made Tanny aware they needed a guy like Stephen Hill.

There were two moves Tanny made that I thought he shouldn't have like and I think this was obvious and too risky:

Having Scott and Pace take pay cuts in 2011 and guaranteeing their salaries for 2012 was really bad. Had he not done this the Jets could have cut these two guys and gone for Mario. I don't know if they would have gotten him. But to guarantee their salaries for this year was too risky. Both of these guys were good not great players who you definitely thought could decline after 2010 which they ultimately did.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    so the GM is responsible for the success/failure of the roster he has assembled??

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I feel that Tannebaum has had a total transformation from Mangini to Rex. When Mangini was HC we drafted well and did not give up as many picks for marginal players. Under Rex, Tannenbaum has been average to slightly below. Giving up too many picks for players we do not need or have failed. It shows with our depth.......
    THIS............ I AGREE with in spirit and have stated.

The NFL is YOUTH. Teams get punished slowly for trading away picks. We did and came away with 2 AFC Champ games. Now we are somewhat exposed as our picks have been well.... (Ducasse like)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need a pro bowler at every position and a pro bowler for every back up, Tanny freaking sucks at this!
    putz won

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Some were very noisy (Favre) some only noisy to a diehard fan in-the-know (Richardson) but both were intended to help fill the stadium.
    Yes, I'm sure fans were dying to get a look at our veteran fullback.

Definitely a PSL move.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    And cut a pro bowler from every position
    We have 0 pro bowlers in our practice squad! ZERO! Tanny sucks!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    The defense is deep at pretty much every position.

On offense, I don't think depth is the issue, it's that the starters at the skill positions are all pretty much average. No elite receivers, running backs, tight ends. And the QB has a lot to prove.
    Hmmm... Rex is a defense minded coach and the coach has influence on the GM's draft picks. Exactly how much influence is open to debate. Nonetheless, it is no accident that we are deeper on defense than offense. That said, Tanny has been making more offensive (no pun- lol) picks lately.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I feel that Tannebaum has had a total transformation from Mangini to Rex. When Mangini was HC we drafted well and did not give up as many picks for marginal players. Under Rex, Tannenbaum has been average to slightly below. Giving up too many picks for players we do not need or have failed. It shows with our depth.......
    We did trade up for Revis and Harris. Both defensive players under Mangini.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have just as many starters from the draft as anyone. Why does it matter how many we drafted. It only matters how many we keep. The Pats have drafted a million guys that work at McDonald's. So what? The only one that matters is that 6th rounder they lucked into.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm still waiting to hear about that one NFL team with great depth everywhere.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious, what was your opinion last year when Mangold went down and we had NO ONE to play center? Or imagine if any one of the other 4 had gotten hurt, who would have come in and ADEQUATELY filled the position?

And are we THAT much better off this season? Especially at the T position?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Newsflash...Every team has position(s) with ?'s and lack of depth at positions..
    Agreed plus to answer this guys questions:

1- AUSTIN HOWARD at RT is 6ft 7 and 330 and can play! They have Slauson practicing there as well. Landolt was injured today and he had some talent! HUNTER has played well in the past for us. Last year the OL was out of synch. BRICK played as poorly as Hunter did yet the poster goes at HUNTER only. There are 4 preseason games left to play. We will know by then if Hunter has gotten better or not. Until then all the worry is getting ridiculous.

How the heck many linebackers does the poster want us to carry? We have depth at every position. Yet he wanted more linebackers.

The poster did not mention that PATRICK TURNER and ENRON RILEY are big guys that have speed and are on our team. Turner was a third round pick a few years ago and has talent. He was Sanchez' favorite target at USC. I saw no mention of that by the poster! Plus T did draft two receivers this past draft. A week ago T signed two other receivers! Yet we are playing the blame game! Lets give it a break and see what we have in the preseason games before we get out shorts tied in a bunch!

CAMP in not over and the season has not begun! That is a news flash! I do not doubt that T will always be looking to improve the team. Our defensive talent looks awesome on paper. It will on the field too.

If Turner, Hunter, Riley & Bilal Powell steps up and ditto McKnight we will start to look deeper. Offense is typically behind at the start of camp! Before we panic and start to blame T forPresident Lincoln's assassination lets give the team some more time to develop and credit for what they have put together! As BITONTI said a team can not fix everything in one off season. I suppose with the recent cuts T made something is in the works! Some guys are never happy unless they are blaming someone on the Jets for whatever suits their fancy!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post

1- AUSTIN HOWARD at RT is 6ft 7 and 330 and can play!
    How do you know this??

The poster did not mention that PATRICK TURNER and ENRON RILEY are big guys that have speed and are on our team. Turner was a third round pick a few years ago and has talent. He was Sanchez' favorite target at USC. I saw no mention of that by the poster!
    I think Damian Williams was Sanchez' favorite target at USC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    How do you know this??

I think Damian Williams was Sanchez' favorite target at USC.
    so who do you want to fill your concerns??

Tanny has admitted he did a bad job last yr...I know that doesn't matter to some people here because they've never made mistakes and would never admit so.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post

1- AUSTIN HOWARD at RT is 6ft 7 and 330 and can play! They have Slauson practicing there as well. Landolt was injured today and he had some talent! HUNTER has played well in the past for us. Last year the OL was out of synch. BRICK played as poorly as Hunter did yet the poster goes at HUNTER only. There are 4 preseason games left to play. We will know by then if Hunter has gotten better or not. Until then all the worry is getting ridiculous.

How the heck many linebackers does the poster want us to carry? We have depth at every position. Yet he wanted more linebackers.

The poster did not mention that PATRICK TURNER and ENRON RILEY are big guys that have speed and are on our team. Turner was a third round pick a few years ago and has talent. He was Sanchez' favorite target at USC. I saw no mention of that by the poster! Plus T did draft two receivers this past draft. A week ago T signed two other receivers! Yet we are playing the blame game! Lets give it a break and see what we have in the preseason games before we get out shorts tied in a bunch!

CAMP in not over and the season has not begun! That is a news flash! I do not doubt that T will always be looking to improve the team. Our defensive talent looks awesome on paper. It will on the field too.

If Turner, Hunter, Riley & Bilal Powell steps up and ditto McKnight we will start to look deeper. Offense is typically behind at the start of camp! Before we panic and start to blame T forPresident Lincoln's assassination lets give the team some more time to develop and credit for what they have put together! As BITONTI said a team can not fix everything in one off season. I suppose with the recent cuts T made something is in the works! Some guys are never happy unless they are blaming someone on the Jets for whatever suits their fancy!

I'm sick of hearing that Tanny had no backup at center.... he had Turner, who also got injured. After that, towards the end of camp, no Pro Bowl center shook loose to sign........ Tanny obviously blew it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis byrd 90 View Post
    Through the years Tannebaum has made many decisions we've liked (especially his drafts). He has also made many decisions that have really hurt this team and I believe this year he has.

Going into the season the Jets had a number of question marks.

1. What do we do at right tackle? Do we draft someone, sign someone in free agency or trade for someone? Well he let the draft and free agency go by and nothing. He tried to trade for an injury plagued player and catch lightning in a bottle. Right now we are stuck with a bad right tackle situation that could hurt us this year. Maybe we will sing someone after being released but this reminds me of 2007 when we had Adrian Clark and the team suffered with him.

2. We have one proven receiver and we sign an injury plagued veteran and draft a rookie with a ton of potential (it takes 2-3 years for receivers to develop). Now Holmes hurts his ribs (which could linger the rest of the year) and it leaves Sanchez with only really Keller to throw to with experience.

Defensively he seems to have addressed though I would've liked another quick linebacker or two.

The lack of depth at receiver and at the offensive line can really do us in this year. The lack of depth at the center position will really hurt us if Mangold goes down and we saw that with Colin Baxter last year.

I hope that we can make these corrections or I can see a repeat of 07 where we underachieve because the lack of depth and us sticking with a player (Wayne Hunter) who can't do his job and gets our qbs destroyed. Just look at the Ravens game from last year. Sanchez and the offense never recovered.

Just wondering what others think.
    I was one of the most outspoken critics of that move; refusing to pay a disgruntled Pete Kendall then trading him and going into the season with a guy that I knew sucked. That season really hurt.

Just the same, while I agree with you from the standpoint that Tanny hasn't learned the important lessons when it comes to the OL, this is in no way similar to 2007. Wayne Hunter is bad, yeah, I get that. But NO way is he as bad as Adrien Clarke was. AC couldn't have played for a CFL team. He was a genuine useless POS FAT A$$.

Wayne Hunter could get better. I don't hold out hope for it, but I do believe it is possible. In Hunters case, we can point to the 2010 playoffs and say, "We know he's capable of playing well". There was never any such thing to point to with Adrien Clarke. AC was truly a never was.

I hold out hope that late in TC some other team will cut an established veteran and the Jets will swoop in and grab him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am very comfortable with our receivers. Let them develop with Sanchez and bring some year to year consistency to the group. I am not a fan at all of revolving veteran has beens at receiver.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    eh,really no team in the league has great depth,however I think he is taking a huge risk sticking with Hunter.He obviously is concerned about this as well with the failed Otah trade.

2nd biggest mistake I feel they made the last couple years is the love affair with Eric Smith,I like the guy as a dime in the box knock the snot out of you guy,but a starting safety is a joke.