Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 63

Thread: Tannebaum to Blame for lack of depth

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I am very comfortable with our receivers. Let them develop with Sanchez and bring some year to year consistency to the group. I am not a fan at all of revolving veteran has beens at receiver.
    If Tone can stay healthy our receivers will be ok. If not, we're in for trouble and maybe Cro should start thinking about playing Ironman football like Deion Sanders did for about 5 minutes in the 90's.

    OL depth has to be a concern. Vlad Ducasse is our top backup - that has to scare you.

  2. #42
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,257
    ... tanny is one of the best gm's in football ... we are very lucky to have him at the top of our football pyramid ...



    ... still want to see a RT TC cut from another team brought in over the next month ...












    l_j_r

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    can we blame Tanny for a lack of depth at WR when he drafted 2 this season, including Hill in the 2nd round. It's a problem they are trying to fix.

    as for Right tackle, I don't know what people expect. Mitchell Schwartz is a starting right tackle for the browns, he was taken with a high 2nd. Cordy Glenn was also off the board before the Jets pick. The Jets couldn't get Stephen Hill and a right tackle.

    JMO the WR situation was worse than the RT situation and you can't fix all the team's problems in one draft.
    That's right. One has to be realistic and there's still time to assess the situation in preseason games for the fans etc. TC reports on Hunter are mostly encouraging. I expect the playcalling this year not to stress and tire the OL with predictable long developing plays etc.

  4. #44
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,548
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Just curious, what was your opinion last year when Mangold went down and we had NO ONE to play center? Or imagine if any one of the other 4 had gotten hurt, who would have come in and ADEQUATELY filled the position?

    And are we THAT much better off this season? Especially at the T position?
    When a guy like Mangold goes down you are going to feel it, no matter who comes in for him. The tackles had a crap season, brick will bounce back and hunter will get help if he struggles. Tanny took a shot with Otah and it did not pan out, you only have so much money to spend and so many high picks to draft.

    Every team has issues at different positions, I think we will ok.

  5. #45
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,497
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    That's right. One has to be realistic and there's still time to assess the situation in preseason games for the fans etc. TC reports on Hunter are mostly encouraging. I expect the playcalling this year not to stress and tire the OL with predictable long developing plays etc.
    Hopefully the tackles won't be left one-on-one with Pro Bowl sack machines either ... Schotty didn't utilise the TE / RB / FB on chip blocking, even when it was obvious his OL was struggling.

  6. #46
    I never thought the Bean Counter was a pro personnel guru. Remember, he was the contract guy on the staff. Having said that, what about REX? Dont you think that Rex has huge input into what Tannenbaum goes after when it comes to players?

  7. #47
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,767
    It is the job of the GM to be thinking about depth even when the fan base is not.

    Mike T. has done a very substandard job in this regard. Too many picks traded away for too little in return and too many draft day misses.

    I am not sure that you can grade him any better than a C/D in terms of the coach hiring decisions he has made.

    We are a good number of years into the Mike Tannenbaum era and we are thin or old or both almost everywhere you look. His contract shenanigans with camp Revis both times around showed him up as someone who it was pretty easy to take out to the woodshed. Once even on national TV.

    He is aces though when it comes to pulling some bullsh1t stunt or other to get the Jets and himself onto the back pages of the tabloids. He does have that trick pretty much nailed down.

  8. #48
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,518
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    It is the job of the GM to be thinking about depth even when the fan base is not.

    Mike T. has done a very substandard job in this regard. Too many picks traded away for too little in return and too many draft day misses.

    I am not sure that you can grade him any better than a C/D in terms of the coach hiring decisions he has made.

    We are a good number of years into the Mike Tannenbaum era and we are thin or old or both almost everywhere you look. His contract shenanigans with camp Revis both times around showed him up as someone who it was pretty easy to take out to the woodshed. Once even on national TV.

    He is aces though when it comes to pulling some bullsh1t stunt or other to get the Jets and himself onto the back pages of the tabloids. He does have that trick pretty much nailed down.
    Yep.... be careful, the kool aid drinkers are gonna revolt.

    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    I never thought the Bean Counter was a pro personnel guru. Remember, he was the contract guy on the staff. Having said that, what about REX? Dont you think that Rex has huge input into what Tannenbaum goes after when it comes to players?
    It should work this way.... yet we go to Kentucky for a linebacker and come back with The terminator.

    GREAT teams dont operate this way. We take a 2nd for Vlad and Cruz is undrafted. How is that possible that we look at UMASS IN DEPTH to evaluate VLAD and we dont see CRUZ?

  9. #49
    i think tanny had a good offseason and draft this year, and i'm hoping this reflects a learning curve in terms of how the better gms run their teams. he didn't squander draft picks, he appears to have drafted BAP rather than for need (ala ducasse), and didn't overspend in FA (mostly b/c they didn't have the cap space). and taking a flier on otah for a 7th rounder and hoping he could pass a physical was also a good risk. getting maybin looks more and more like a genius move too. powell is impressing in camp and if he contributes, well, you have 3 midround rb picks who are all playing. i think he's had 1 real bad drafting year, the wilson/ducasse year. and some of the FA signings were probably motivated to sell tickets, as SAR has pointed out. how much was woody the force behind the farve/braylon/cromartie/holmes/tebow decisions, we may never know.

  10. #50
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,171
    just received my 2012 Jet Yearbook in the mail (oh those perks of Investment Gold!!!)

    Of the current 90 or so Jets on the squad as of the time the book was printed

    THREE (countem THREE) players are from the era prior to Mike Tannenbaum becoming the GM and handling the draft for the first time in 2006

    Bryan Thomas drafted in 2002 and Sione Pouha drafted in 2005 and Brandon Moore signed as a veteran free agent in 2002

    27 Jet players were drafted by Mike Tannenbaum in 2006-12 including Hall of Famers Nick Mangold and Darelle Revis, Ferguson, Harris, Keller, Sanchez and Greene

    4 were acquired in trades - including Holmes and Cro

    5 were acquired as UFAs

    and 48 were signed as Veteran free agents including the 13 2012 UDFAs (mostly camp fodder) currently in camp


    so, it's obvious that Mike Tannenbaum has done a terrible job as the Jets GM and we would have been better keeping Terry Bradway on the job finding high draft choices like Justin Miller, Dewayne Robertson and Mike Nugent to build the roster

  11. #51
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,767
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    just received my 2012 Jet Yearbook in the mail (oh those perks of Investment Gold!!!)

    Of the current 90 or so Jets on the squad as of the time the book was printed

    THREE (countem THREE) players are from the era prior to Mike Tannenbaum becoming the GM and handling the draft for the first time in 2006

    Bryan Thomas drafted in 2002 and Sione Pouha drafted in 2005 and Brandon Moore signed as a veteran free agent in 2002

    27 Jet players were drafted by Mike Tannenbaum in 2006-12 including Hall of Famers Nick Mangold and Darelle Revis, Ferguson, Harris, Keller, Sanchez and Greene

    4 were acquired in trades - including Holmes and Cro

    5 were acquired as UFAs

    and 48 were signed as Veteran free agents including the 13 2012 UDFAs (mostly camp fodder) currently in camp


    so, it's obvious that Mike Tannenbaum has done a terrible job as the Jets GM and we would have been better keeping Terry Bradway on the job finding high draft choices like Justin Miller, Dewayne Robertson and Mike Nugent to build the roster
    First of all massive turnover six years later is pretty much the norm for every team in the NFL.

    The only thing that is obvious is that good bad or indifferent this GM is responsible for the head coach (and by extension everyone who works for the HC) plus all but three players on the roster being here. If the results are deemed to be not good then there is one and ONLY ONE man who bears the ultimate responsibility for that.

    This is Mike Tannenbaum's baby. In other words he cannot blame the hand he was dealt. That sh1t does not fly after six years.

  12. #52
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,171
    agreed

    and it's a baby that was in the final four of the NFL postseason for two seasons and hasn't had a losing season in three.

    Compare and contrast these three seasons with those of any Jet team and/or GM since 1970...

  13. #53
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,767
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    agreed

    and it's a baby that was in the final four of the NFL postseason for two seasons and hasn't had a losing season in three.

    Compare and contrast these three seasons with those of any Jet team and/or GM since 1970...
    I am not discounting those two appearances. I am talking about an honest state of the union about the current roster.

  14. #54
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,767
    Look if a bunch of the kids come on like gangbusters AND... if one or two of the veteran pickups can stay healthy, AND... if our offensive line is not as porous at some of us fear it might be, AND... if Sanchez shows up in season 4 with real improvement.... Then things could be good. Possibly even really good.

    Alternatively if one or more of the above does not happen and/or we have below average luck on injuries it could get ugly. Part of the reason for that is the perception (one which I share) is that Mike Tannenbaum has been all too willing to promise to pay next Tuesday for a hamburger today. Well now it is next Tuesday.

  15. #55
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,171
    So we agree



    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Look if a bunch of the kids come on like gangbusters AND... if one or two of the veteran pickups can stay healthy, AND... if our offensive line is not as porous at some of us fear it might be, AND... if Sanchez shows up in season 4 with real improvement.... Then things could be good. Possibly even really good.

    Alternatively if one or more of the above does not happen and/or we have below average luck on injuries it could get ugly. Part of the reason for that is the perception (one which I share) is that Mike Tannenbaum has been all too willing to promise to pay next Tuesday for a hamburger today. Well now it is next Tuesday.
    yet, if they had a decent RT, there really wouldn't be a position that sucks.

  17. #57
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,257
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    yet, if they had a decent RT, there really wouldn't be a position that sucks.
    + 1





    l_j_r

  18. #58
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,497
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    yet, if they had a decent RT, there really wouldn't be a position that sucks.
    Fans will ALWAYS find a position that sucks ... even if it has to be punter, or backup nickelback, or 3rd string long snapper.

  19. #59
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,767
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Fans will ALWAYS find a position that sucks ... even if it has to be punter, or backup nickelback, or 3rd string long snapper.
    or

    Quarterback, and
    Running Back, and
    Right Tackle, and
    Wide receiver, and
    Safeties. and
    Tight end, and yes,

    Punter.

    All of the above list is SO SMALL because we are assuming Bart Scott can bounce back from being simply terrible last year and/or that we drafted well enough so that our LB corps is no longer too old and too slow.

    All of this is assuming that some how some way that we will get a pass rush that we have not had for the better part of a decade. That between Coples, Maybin, Wilkerson, Ellis, and Pace in a contract year that someone steps up in a big way to fill that gaping hole.

    All of the above is assuming that a brand new offense is able to click from season-1 now that we have unloaded Schotty. This assumption is made even though our own experiences have taught us to expect that somewhere along the way the players and even coaches are going to blame the "new system" for indifferent or poor results. No, No, we are assuming that everything here is going to click perfectly from day one.

    All of this is assuming that the bad apples and locker-room cancers who still around from last year are going to somehow either clean up their acts or that "new Rex" is going to be have a tighter control on the team and not permit the kind of internal meltdown that sank us at the end of last year. We are taking it as read that this WILL NOT be a problem this year.

    But you must be correct. Nothing at all to worry about on this team except for obscure unimportant f*ckin' positions like punter.


    Since I am not permitted by the TOS to call someone a idiot and waste of good oxygen I feel somewhat constrained right now.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    or

    Quarterback, and
    Running Back, and
    Right Tackle, and
    Wide receiver, and
    Safeties. and
    Tight end, and yes,

    Punter.

    All of the above list is SO SMALL because we are assuming Bart Scott can bounce back from being simply terrible last year and/or that we drafted well enough so that our LB corps is no longer too old and too slow.

    All of this is assuming that some how some way that we will get a pass rush that we have not had for the better part of a decade. That between Coples, Maybin, Wilkerson, Ellis, and Pace in a contract year that someone steps up in a big way to fill that gaping hole.

    All of the above is assuming that a brand new offense is able to click from season-1 now that we have unloaded Schotty. This assumption is made even though our own experiences have taught us to expect that somewhere along the way the players and even coaches are going to blame the "new system" for indifferent or poor results. No, No, we are assuming that everything here is going to click perfectly from day one.

    All of this is assuming that the bad apples and locker-room cancers who still around from last year are going to somehow either clean up their acts or that "new Rex" is going to be have a tighter control on the team and not permit the kind of internal meltdown that sank us at the end of last year. We are taking it as read that this WILL NOT be a problem this year.

    But you must be correct. Nothing at all to worry about on this team except for obscure unimportant f*ckin' positions like punter.


    Since I am not permitted by the TOS to call someone a idiot and waste of good oxygen I feel somewhat constrained right now.
    I feel the exact same way ... About your post. Every team has question marks at this point. Do the Jets have more than most other teams ? I don't think so. Sure the Pats and Giants have less ... But the majority of teams are searching.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us