Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tannebaum to Blame for lack of depth

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I feel the exact same way ... About your post. Every team has question marks at this point. Do the Jets have more than most other teams ? I don't think so. Sure the Pats and Giants have less ... But the majority of teams are searching.
    I am as hopeful as the next guy that the question marks surrounding this team turn out to be solid positives but I think that as of now they are mostly large question marks.

I wish I could blithely wander through life with a smile on my face under the dopey assumption that the only thing this team has to worry about is the punter. In some ways I actually envy people with such a simplistic world view.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    or

Quarterback, and
    Running Back, and
    Right Tackle, and
    Wide receiver, and
    Safeties. and
    Tight end, and yes,

Punter.

All of the above list is SO SMALL because we are assuming Bart Scott can bounce back from being simply terrible last year and/or that we drafted well enough so that our LB corps is no longer too old and too slow.

All of this is assuming that some how some way that we will get a pass rush that we have not had for the better part of a decade. That between Coples, Maybin, Wilkerson, Ellis, and Pace in a contract year that someone steps up in a big way to fill that gaping hole.

All of the above is assuming that a brand new offense is able to click from season-1 now that we have unloaded Schotty. This assumption is made even though our own experiences have taught us to expect that somewhere along the way the players and even coaches are going to blame the "new system" for indifferent or poor results. No, No, we are assuming that everything here is going to click perfectly from day one.

All of this is assuming that the bad apples and locker-room cancers who still around from last year are going to somehow either clean up their acts or that "new Rex" is going to be have a tighter control on the team and not permit the kind of internal meltdown that sank us at the end of last year. We are taking it as read that this WILL NOT be a problem this year.

But you must be correct. Nothing at all to worry about on this team except for obscure unimportant f*ckin' positions like punter.

Since I am not permitted by the TOS to call someone a idiot and waste of good oxygen I feel somewhat constrained right now.
    If you feel that all those positions suck, then fair enough - I'm not going to tell you you're wrong, you're entitled to your opinion. But do you believe that ANY team could go out and replace all these parts with upgrades in one off season?

QB - we will live and die by Sanchez again this season. The team decided to invest in him as the future. Depth wise we at least have a guy with starting experience who has won games - a lot of teams have backups that have yet to see the field in anything other than pre season.

RB - Greene and McKnight have both seen playing time; neither is a stud RB (like AP is) but we haven't had a stud in many, many years and have done well without one.

RT - definitely concerns here both in starter quality and depth - can Hunter at least play up to his 2010 form?

WR - agreed that there are questions here over (a) experience and (b) durability, but I'm OK with what we have given that we expect to see more running the ball, plus we have options at RB and TE to throw to as well

S - ironically, I think we are actually better off this year with a 34 year-old, an injury concern and a couple of rookies ... at least they have upside . Last year's group simply had nothing

TE - no worse than we've had for three or four years. I won't miss Mulligan, that's for sure

Pass rush / offensive schemes / chemistry - these are down to the coaches. The discussion here is about Tanny and his responsibility for depth (or lack thereof). O line is certainly my biggest concern on depth - Ducasse is the main problem here, if he'd panned out sooner we would be in a much better position. But again, look around the league - how many teams have guys with decent starting experience playing backup? You just have to hope that your Schlauderhaffs and your Howards (and even Ducasse) can do a job if called upon.

Lastly - with all our holes, injuries and other problems last year, we were only one game out of the playoffs (and one game worse than the eventual SB winners). Let's not make out like we were 2-14 or 4-12.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    If you feel that all those positions suck, then fair enough - I'm not going to tell you you're wrong, you're entitled to your opinion. But do you believe that ANY team could go out and replace all these parts with upgrades in one off season?

QB - we will live and die by Sanchez again this season. The team decided to invest in him as the future. Depth wise we at least have a guy with starting experience who has won games - a lot of teams have backups that have yet to see the field in anything other than pre season.

RB - Greene and McKnight have both seen playing time; neither is a stud RB (like AP is) but we haven't had a stud in many, many years and have done well without one.

RT - definitely concerns here both in starter quality and depth - can Hunter at least play up to his 2010 form?

WR - agreed that there are questions here over (a) experience and (b) durability, but I'm OK with what we have given that we expect to see more running the ball, plus we have options at RB and TE to throw to as well

S - ironically, I think we are actually better off this year with a 34 year-old, an injury concern and a couple of rookies ... at least they have upside . Last year's group simply had nothing

TE - no worse than we've had for three or four years. I won't miss Mulligan, that's for sure

Pass rush / offensive schemes / chemistry - these are down to the coaches. The discussion here is about Tanny and his responsibility for depth (or lack thereof). O line is certainly my biggest concern on depth - Ducasse is the main problem here, if he'd panned out sooner we would be in a much better position. But again, look around the league - how many teams have guys with decent starting experience playing backup? You just have to hope that your Schlauderhaffs and your Howards (and even Ducasse) can do a job if called upon.

Lastly - with all our holes, injuries and other problems last year, we were only one game out of the playoffs (and one game worse than the eventual SB winners). Let's not make out like we were 2-14 or 4-12.
    A well reasoned and well presented response. Nice job.

I doubt there is all that much between our respective positions but let me see what i can do.

Overall.
    I think there are questions in a lot of areas and we need to hit on a number of them to be competetive this year. The old, if you are not moving forward then you are moving backwards general idea.

QB
    Not as bad as some think. Yes Sanchez sucked balls last year but his playoff performances in the previous are an indication to me that me should get one or even two more seasons.

Having said that... Mark Sanchez simply processes information too slowly right now. Because he does that he is late to decide where to go with the ball or worse yet he lock onto a predetermined receiver and goes there anyway. So he missed a lot of open guys or worse yet, his poor mental progressions lead to a hurried throws which in turn terrible accuracy numbers. Terrible accuracy numbers plus he throws more hospital passes than any QB I have ever seen. I believe in part that is why he lost his receiver corps last year. He simply puts them in harms way far too often. If the game starts to slow down for him in his head then most of these problems evaporate or at least they abate considerably. If not then he will be out of the league in a few years.

And a porous OL does not help matters but his poor decision making was not 100% down to that issue.

Tebow is a joke and in institutional distraction.

RB
    Greene may not be elite but he is borderline elite when he stays healthy IMO. The problem is that he does not stay healthy. He tries to play like he is the bus but he is fragile that he is always dinged up. I am not sure there is a good ending to that story. I have no idea about Ganaway and Powell and I think McKnight will turn out to be nothing. Hope I am wrong on any/all of the last three.

WR
    We are improved as a unit but perhaps not this season. If Sanchez can get them the ball then they are still a good enough group to be solid this year.

S
    (Agree) Can they stay healthy is the question. There is a reason that these guys were avaialable. Crossing my fingers.

OL
    Agree 100%

TE
    Maybe no worse than 2012 but possibly not much better than BAD either. Cumberland might be the savior for us here.

Pass Rush
    Have to disagree here. lack of pur physical talent in this area has meant we had to pressure the QB with gimmicks, smoke and mirrors. we simply need to break that predicament. Just take a look at the unit across town to see the benefits of having pass rushing stud(s) on the team.

Maybe Coples or Ellis or Maybin jumps into that role although I know it is not really something we can expect from Ellis' position.