Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FBO Playmaker Score - Predicts the potential of NFL WRs

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

FBO Playmaker Score - Predicts the potential of NFL WRs

Football Outsider runs some sort of Sabermetrics to try an predict which rookie WR will become a playmaker in the NFL. Check out the video.

The WR with the most potential is Stephen Hill (far and away and its not even close). The most interesting thing though is that #3 is Jordan White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQotAI6SSb4&feature=plcp

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the post. Interesting video. I agree that Jordan White is a sleeper. I'm probably just falling in love with his (crazy) numbers at Western Michigan, but you have to have some ability to put up numbers like he did.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think our scouts do a pretty good job overall

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we all know Hill is a freak of nature, so these sort of formulas will always work out for him. I tend to believe he will be a special player and his bust potential is very low.

White is a surprise. I didn't expect to see him so high on a list like this. He has average athletic ability for a WR... but the production is undeniable. I wonder what they do with him this year. He could be the #3 or put on IR. It's way to early to tell.

Hill's potential gives me a boner.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I think we all know Hill is a freak of nature, so these sort of formulas will always work out for him. I tend to believe he will be a special player and his bust potential is very low.

White is a surprise. I didn't expect to see him so high on a list like this. He has average athletic ability for a WR... but the production is undeniable. I wonder what they do with him this year. He could be the #3 or put on IR. It's way to early to tell.

Hill's potential gives me a boner.
    I would LOVE it if White can be another Cotchery for us.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    White has the potential to be an rock-solid slot guy with average speed and superb route-running/hands. Still very concerned about a guy with two reconstructed knees who broke his foot first week of OTAs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    White has the potential to be an rock-solid slot guy with average speed and superb route-running/hands. Still very concerned about a guy with two reconstructed knees who broke his foot first week of OTAs.
    White has average 40 yd time speed, but he would not be rated high on this scale if he was not really fast in the 10 yard dash which they used. This video backs up my contention that we need to go with our youth and not go down the veteran retread route.

Hill will be a Top 5 NFL receiver. Minimum

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stephen Hill 660, wow that's over the top. I've been trying to temper my enthusiasm with the pick, but that justifies everything I've been trying to push to the back of my mind.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

Hill will be a Top 5 NFL receiver. Minimum
    So every team in the NFL, including the Jets, passed on a top 5 WR in the 1st round of the draft?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    So every team in the NFL, including the Jets, passed on a top 5 WR in the 1st round of the draft?
    Yes. Happens all the time

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is exactly the opposite of your "the pats got lucky with brady in the 7th" arguement where you point out 32 teams passed on him in the first 6 rounds.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    This is exactly the opposite of your "the pats got lucky with brady in the 7th" arguement where you point out 32 teams passed on him in the first 6 rounds.
    After 11 years in the NFL, Brady has proven he is a top 5 QB of all time.

Hill has yet to catch 1 pass in the NFL, but some Jets fans are already calling him a top 5 WR. Minimum.

Kinda reminds me of Pats fans a few years back when they were saying the same thing about Chad Jackson.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Hill has yet to catch 1 pass in the NFL, but some Jets fans are already calling him a top 5 WR. Minimum.

Kinda reminds me of Pats fans a few years back when they were saying the same thing about Chad Jackson.
    Agreed, however I wasn't addressing the particular players and their accomplishments. I was addressing the irony of you scoffing at the idea that 32 teams passed on a potentially great player in the first round .

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is interesting to me is that the Jets have drafted of acquired 4 WRs who scored highly on the FBO Playmaker Score:

-Braylon Edwards (traded for)
    -Santonio Holmes (traded for then re-signed)
    -Stephen Hill (drafted)
    -Jordan White (drafted)

This suggests the Jets are using a similar statistical method to evaluate WRs, which is good since the FBO guys are damn smart.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    What is interesting to me is that the Jets have drafted of acquired 4 WRs who scored highly on the FBO Playmaker Score:

-Braylon Edwards (traded for)
    -Santonio Holmes (traded for then re-signed)
    -Stephen Hill (drafted)
    -Jordan White (drafted)

This suggests the Jets are using a similar statistical method to evaluate WRs, which is good since the FBO guys are damn smart.
    How are they smart?

Last year Holmes was the 63rd ranked WR in the NFL, BE is hurt and pretty much washed up, and Hill and White have yet to catch a pass in the NFL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Who said he was a top 5 WR?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Who said he was a top 5 WR?
    Read the 7th post in this thread.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Read the 7th post in this thread.
    Well that's not Jet fans. Pick out JohnnyAppleSD and speak to him directly.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently based on this assumption he has top receiver talent. That's all. It's merely a projection based on his measurables. what they actually do is a different matter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How are they smart?

Last year Holmes was the 63rd ranked WR in the NFL, BE is hurt and pretty much washed up, and Hill and White have yet to catch a pass in the NFL.
    BE was good enough to avg 25 yards a catch for a TD when we stomped the Pats in the playoffs