Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers' DeCastro sounding soft

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Steelers' DeCastro sounding soft

Per Rotoworld:

According to the Beaver County Times, Steelers rookie RG David DeCastro "hasnít exactly been a camp sensation."

DeCastro has yet to unseat incumbent Ramon Foster, and admitted to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger he's struggling with the physical aspect of the NFL game. The Steelers didn't take the rare step of using a first-round pick on a guard to have him sit on the sideline, but it sounds like DeCastro is going to need every preseason rep he can get in preparation for Week 1.

At least none of the Jets have complained about that! Every scouting report I have ever seen on this guy was saying he was a "pure road grader" with great physical traits. Can't be telling your Super Bowl winning QB the physical part of the game is bothering you. And to think a lot of mocks had us taking this guy

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought he was a "can't miss" sure fire pro bowler and immediate starter? Some people here wanted to trade up for this kid even

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesante.

Frustrating as a fan.
    Fortunately, i dont like the Steelers fan base, so im ok with this.

BBA <hollarback>

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    I thought he was a "can't miss" sure fire pro bowler and immediate starter? Some people here wanted to trade up for this kid even
    I am one who would have rather taken De Castro or Rieff instead of Coples because it made more sense on paper. There were no reports anywhere of DeCastro being soft.........

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just like Coples, the story is nowhere near yet written on this kid.

Most rookie OL and DL struggle with the speed and physicality of the NFL game at first.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Most rookie OL and DL struggle with the speed and physicality of the NFL game at first.
    that was part of my point. a lot of this board is so concerned already with young guys, we lose sight that it happens everywhere around the league

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

+1

Lets wait a year or three before declaring winners and losers of the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steelers will have 2 rookies STARTING on their Oline, in a new offense, with Big Ben playing with a tear in his rotator cuff & no Mendenhall & possibly Wallace with no time in camp!

BUT THE JETS SUCK & HAVE NO CHANCE THIS UPCOMING SEASON

Hasn't anyone realized that it's pile on the Jets year! It just amazes me how all these talking heads are such EXPERTS on all this chit.
    Today on NFL Sirius someone asks Howard FREAKING NO NOTHING David, can the Jets make the playoffs?
    Without even hesitation he's like, NO!
    Then he goes on talking his crap that the Bills are now the teamon the rise & blah, blah, blah, blah!
    Has Mario Williams even played a full 16 game schedule in his career?

OH MY GOD I HAVE NEVER EVER WITNESSSED AN AUGUST IN THE NFL WITH SO MANY TALKING HEADS, TALKING CRAP!
    Boomer, Shein, Baldinger, & on & on & on!

But here's the funny thing, 2 guys have said, I think this Tebow thing can work if the Jets can handle the negative media spin. Do you know who they were?
    Bill Polian & Bill Parcells!
    2 guys that have resurrected more than their share of teams in this league!
    It's hilarious that we even discuss the notion that Tim Tebow for a 4th round pick to be our backup, (FOOTBALL PLAYER), will be the most horrible mistake that the Jets have made in 44 years!

Really, what has become of this sport & how it's reported.
    While Boomer is criticing every one in sight, I'm remembering him single handedly throwing away a game vs Miami when we had a 17 point lead!
    And he was a veteran, not some kid like Sanchez learning on the fly!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    +1

Lets wait a year or three before declaring winners and losers of the draft.
    Except in DeCastro's case it is worth mentioning because one of the main arguments was based on his supposed immediate impact. Immediate impact however should never be a reason why you draft anyone... Just ultimately how good they will become.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post

Seriuosly?

Mario Williams never missed a start in his first 4 years in the NFL.

In 2010, he started 14 out of 16 games.

Last year he missed 11 games to to a major injury.

Are you insinuating Mario Williams is injury prone?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Steelers will have 2 rookies STARTING on their Oline, in a new offense, with Big Ben playing with a tear in his rotator cuff & no Mendenhall & possibly Wallace with no time in camp!

BUT THE JETS SUCK & HAVE NO CHANCE THIS UPCOMING SEASON

Hasn't anyone realized that it's pile on the Jets year! It just amazes me how all these talking heads are such EXPERTS on all this chit.
    Today on NFL Sirius someone asks Howard FREAKING NO NOTHING David, can the Jets make the playoffs?
    Without even hesitation he's like, NO!
    Then he goes on talking his crap that the Bills are now the teamon the rise & blah, blah, blah, blah!

OH MY GOD I HAVE NEVER EVER WITNESSSED AN AUGUST IN THE NFL WITH SO MANY TALKING HEADS, TALKING CRAP!
    Boomer, Shein, Baldinger, & on & on & on!

But here's the funny thing, 2 guys have said, I think this Tebow thing can work if the Jets can handle the negative media spin. Do you know who they were?
    Bill Polian & Bill Parcells!
    2 guys that have resurrected more than their share of teams in this league!
    It's hilarious that we even discuss the notion that Tim Tebow for a 4th round pick to be our backup, (FOOTBALL PLAYER), will be the most horrible mistake that the Jets have made in 44 years!

Really, what has become of this sport & how it's reported.
    While Boomer is criticing every one in sight, I'm remembering him single handedly throwing away a game vs Miami when we had a 17 point lead!
    And he was a veteran, not some kid like Sanchez learning on the fly!
    Good post.

I usually hate and don't give any credence to the "everyone is against us" theories. But it is hard to ignore this off season.

The Bills are a frigging joke I cant wait to spank them opening day.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    offensive line is a man's game, there's no place for boys

When these guys jump from college to pros, they are dealing with a whole different level of opposition, especially strength.

Going back in time, even Alan Faneca wasn't instant good. any rookie OL will have ups and downs. Decastro will probably be great in year 3 or 4.

when i see posts blaming the front office for not drafting a right tackle or whatever, those posters are forgetting about the incubation time for trench players. A 2012 draft pick often doesn't fix a 2012 problem. Even a guy like Matt Kalil is going to be average while he develops. Average is an upgrade on what they had before (just like how Dbrick was an upgrade when he arrived) but these players are far from reliable as rookies. The only situation I can recall where a rookie OL made the pro bowl as a rookie was Joe thomas.
    Last edited by bitonti; 08-07-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

When these guys jump from college to pros, they are dealing with a whole different level of opposition, especially strength.

Going back in time, even Alan Faneca wasn't instant good. any rookie OL will have ups and downs. Decastro will probably be great in year 3 or 4.
    He very well could be, but you never want the rest of the league and public to know you have actually said it's physically difficult. Normally you hear guys say mentally it's tough. Just as an NFL player you don't want people to know you're having a tough time physically ... especially linemen. Don't care if you are a rookie or not

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    He very well could be, but you never want the rest of the league and public to know you have actually said it's physically difficult. Normally you hear guys say mentally it's tough. Just as an NFL player you don't want people to know you're having a tough time physically ... especially linemen. Don't care if you are a rookie or not
    100% dead on.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

when i see posts blaming the front office for not drafting a right tackle or whatever, those posters are forgetting about the incubation time for trench players. A 2012 draft pick often doesn't fix a 2012 problem. Even a guy like Matt Kalil is going to be average while he develops. Average is an upgrade on what they had before (just like how Dbrick was an upgrade when he arrived) but these players are far from reliable as rookies. The only situation I can recall where a rookie OL made the pro bowl as a rookie was Joe thomas.
    Excellent post. im not surprised. I would add that Mangold was excellent from the start. It still doesnt excuse the JETS from ignoring the OLINE this off season. Didnt the JETS learn from the past with a lost season with Adrian Clarke and Pete Kendall?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    It still doesnt excuse the JETS from ignoring the OLINE this off season. Didnt the JETS learn from the past with a lost season with Adrian Clarke and Pete Kendall?
    last year, 3 out of the 5 Jets starters represented the AFC at the Pro Bowl. Also they are one of only three teams in the league to return all 5 starters at all 5 spots, which is great for cohesion.

I am all for upgrades but by and large the Jets OL situation is fairly healthy.

JMO if the quarterback could deal with an average amount of pressure in 2011, no one would mention the OL. Keep in mind the Super Bowl champion Giants allowed over 100 more pressures on Eli than the Jets allowed on Sanchez.

Certainly Hunter and Slauson are not as good as Woody and Faneca, but there are about 20-25 NFL qb's who would take the Jets line over their OL, no questions asked.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    last year, 3 out of the 5 Jets starters represented the AFC at the Pro Bowl. Also they are one of only three teams in the league to return all 5 starters at all 5 spots, which is great for cohesion.

I am all for upgrades but by and large the Jets OL situation is fairly healthy.

JMO if the quarterback could deal with an average amount of pressure in 2011, no one would mention the OL. Keep in mind the Super Bowl champion Giants allowed over 100 more pressures on Eli than the Jets allowed on Sanchez.

Certainly Hunter and Slauson are not as good as Woody and Faneca, but there are about 20-25 NFL qb's who would take the Jets line over their OL, no questions asked.
    If the Giants had protected Eli better, they would have won more than 9 games and their passing game would have been a lot better (more efficient).

The Giants weren't all that good during the regular season last year. They were a different team in the playoffs.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Takes time to adjust, grow, and get stronger. Common sense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Per Rotoworld:

According to the Beaver County Times, Steelers rookie RG David DeCastro "hasnít exactly been a camp sensation."

DeCastro has yet to unseat incumbent Ramon Foster, and admitted to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger he's struggling with the physical aspect of the NFL game. The Steelers didn't take the rare step of using a first-round pick on a guard to have him sit on the sideline, but it sounds like DeCastro is going to need every preseason rep he can get in preparation for Week 1.

At least none of the Jets have complained about that! Every scouting report I have ever seen on this guy was saying he was a "pure road grader" with great physical traits. Can't be telling your Super Bowl winning QB the physical part of the game is bothering you. And to think a lot of mocks had us taking this guy
    He def isn't starting out on the right foot. However I root for the steelers just for the simple fact that I want the jets to beat them in the playoffs. I f'ing hate steeler fans.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    If the Giants had protected Eli better, they would have won more than 9 games and their passing game would have been a lot better (more efficient).

The Giants weren't all that good during the regular season last year. They were a different team in the playoffs.
    Giants also play in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL. And last year played Green Bay, San Fran, Saints and a few other toughs ones in the regular season.

Great QBs make an Oline. QB's with quick releases, great footwork and read defenses make a bad oline good and a good oline great.

Watch some of the great QB's play. They know when and where to get rid of the ball and have a feel for when and where pressure is coming.

Sanchez must get better! If he does, with our defense, we will have one hell of a year.