Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers' DeCastro sounding soft

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    If the Giants had protected Eli better, they would have won more than 9 games and their passing game would have been a lot better (more efficient).

The Giants weren't all that good during the regular season last year. They were a different team in the playoffs.
    Eli ranked #1 throwing under pressure last year, while Sanchez ranked dead last. The Giants Oline was actually bad, the Jets not really.

I'd also like to know where Bit is getting his numbers for QB pressures from. They're notoriously difficult to find, and are incredibly subjective, like assists in basketball.

Then there's the issue that not all pressures are created equal. Pressure after 4 seconds is not the same as pressure after 2.

Eli had a hard time with pressure early in his career. At this point, he's a homeless man's version of his older brother (which is incredibly high praise) when it comes to avoiding sacks.

Lastly, it goes without saying that as good as Eli was when facing pressure last year, he was a lot better when he wasn't. The Giants would have been a better team if they had protected Eli better or were able to run the football with any effectiveness. Let's not pretend that the '11 Giants (regular season version) are a team that anyone wants to model themselves after.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I'd also like to know where Bit is getting his numbers for QB pressures from. They're notoriously difficult to find, and are incredibly subjective, like assists in basketball.
    here's the link I used

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...-quarterbacks/

I agree with you that pressure and sack stats are extremely subjective. I don't like it when a site like PFF looks at a play and decides who is to blame for the sack, even when they don't know the play call or the blocking scheme.

however pressures are fairly straightforward. either a qb is pressured or he isn't. Mark Sanchez received a below average amount of pressures last year. And when he was pressured, he made things worse.

We as Jets fans get sucked into this worldview where we only see our team. But look around the league, there really aren't many OL better than the Jets. Even with Hunter as a starter. there is going to be pressure in this league. It's up to the QB to deal with it.

If the expectations are that Mark has to get 2009 level protection to succeed (4 first round picks and Moore), that's not realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Per Rotoworld:

According to the Beaver County Times, Steelers rookie RG David DeCastro "hasnít exactly been a camp sensation."

DeCastro has yet to unseat incumbent Ramon Foster, and admitted to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger he's struggling with the physical aspect of the NFL game. The Steelers didn't take the rare step of using a first-round pick on a guard to have him sit on the sideline, but it sounds like DeCastro is going to need every preseason rep he can get in preparation for Week 1.

At least none of the Jets have complained about that! Every scouting report I have ever seen on this guy was saying he was a "pure road grader" with great physical traits. Can't be telling your Super Bowl winning QB the physical part of the game is bothering you. And to think a lot of mocks had us taking this guy
    It's still very in training camp. Lets see how the kid works out. I think he's going to be great in the end.

It's just so hard to argue with how the Steelers run their organization. IMO, they do everything great. With all of the winning they've done in recent years, it's hard to argue that they are truly a great organization.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    It's still very in training camp. Lets see how the kid works out. I think he's going to be great in the end.

It's just so hard to argue with how the Steelers run their organization. IMO, they do everything great. With all of the winning they've done in recent years, it's hard to argue that they are truly a great organization.
    Good call MJ.

The Steelers do not screw up too often.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    last year, 3 out of the 5 Jets starters represented the AFC at the Pro Bowl. Also they are one of only three teams in the league to return all 5 starters at all 5 spots, which is great for cohesion.

I am all for upgrades but by and large the Jets OL situation is fairly healthy.

JMO if the quarterback could deal with an average amount of pressure in 2011, no one would mention the OL. Keep in mind the Super Bowl champion Giants allowed over 100 more pressures on Eli than the Jets allowed on Sanchez.

Certainly Hunter and Slauson are not as good as Woody and Faneca, but there are about 20-25 NFL qb's who would take the Jets line over their OL, no questions asked.
    All true points but the Jets could have signed Vernon Carey to a 1 year deal to provide depth on the O-line. The Jets have no depth on the O-line (Ducasse is a joke).

Problem is Carey was asking for too much money after all those years of getting overpaid by Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

Steelers are the best drafting organization in the NFL. I have a hard time seeing Decastro and Adams both not becoming viable starters.

I still would have taken Coples over Decastro however.