Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lack of WR Separation (again)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    Those teams all had pass rushes, where we had to send the house and leave our db's 1-on-1. Besides that's not considering the fact we play man on most downs, where other teams like Houston and Pittsburgh prefer zone. You switch our db's with any other teams, they wouldn't handle what we put Revis, Cro, and Wilson through.
    OK, I can agree with that, especially your point about the Texans and Steelers playing primarily zone defense in the secondary.

Good post.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMo View Post
    The Jets WR's in camp have not established any separation from the Jets DB's

Yes - I know that the Jets secondary is considered one of the best in the league - however Sanchez has a shaky OL and lack of separation from his WR's could be our achilles heal this year

Tanny needs to pick up a veteran WR and Right OT once cuts are made

I am not sold on this team as constructed right now

Let me know your thoughts ...
    Did you start this thread because you just got cut?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMo View Post
    The Jets WR's in camp have not established any separation from the Jets DB's

Yes - I know that the Jets secondary is considered one of the best in the league - however Sanchez has a shaky OL and lack of separation from his WR's could be our achilles heal this year

Tanny needs to pick up a veteran WR and Right OT once cuts are made

I am not sold on this team as constructed right now

Let me know your thoughts ...
    Did we play a preseason game yet? Are you watching practice right now? Who is it that's not getting separation, and from who?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Did you start this thread because you just got cut?
    Nice...Scotty go play in the CFL for a while.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Just curious, outside of Revis, which other Jets DB is considered All-World?
    http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/cornerfinal.php

His three year weighted average of increased failures is second best in the NFL (behind Revis). His impact on opposing WRs receptions is 5th best in the NFL over the past 3 years. His impact on opposing receivers' expected yards is 12th best in the NFL (those numbers are particularly impressive given how much more he is targeted with Revis on the other side). His impact on opposing passing games overall (as opposed to merely diverting a target from the receiver he is covering), in both receptions and yards, is second in the NFL (to Revis).

So . . . I'd say the stats are pretty good.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    /thread

let's see our WR's go up against other competition other than our own All-World CB's before we past judgement.
    They didn't get separation last year. What makes you think they will this year?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    They didn't get separation last year. What makes you think they will this year?
    Last year the Jets had no WR to pull the safeties over and open seams in the middle of the field.

If Hill is capable of becoming a legitimate deep threat, the safeties will provide help which should open up the middle of the field for Kerley and Keller.

Much easier to gain a little bit of separation if the safeties aren't clogging up the middle.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year the Jets had no WR to pull the safeties over and open seams in the middle of the field.

If Hill is capable of becoming a legitimate deep threat, the safeties will provide help which should open up the middle of the field for Kerley and Keller.

Much easier to gain a little bit of separation if the safeties aren't clogging up the middle.
    Not as simple as you make it sound but on the right track... Hill has to establish himself as a receiver... If all you can do is stretch the defense, they play man under defense and take away short routes as well as provide help over the top. This is the NFL if you are one dimensional as a player, teams can take you away from being productive...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    He struggled with it last year.
    No he didn't, he struggled with constant double teams, not separation.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    We weren't watching the same games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Don't know what games you were watching dude .... Maybe dreaming or something.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    We weren't watching the same games.
    Holmes definately had problems with double teams, but he also had problems getting seperation when he was singled.

One thing that becomes very apparent is that the Jets never had free running recievers last year. If you watched Eli he threw like 10 tds last year to a wide open reciever, the Jets WR never seem to be able to beat anyone that badly.

Alot of that has to be attributed to scheme. Running 4 routes all ending in the same place is not a good way to get a WR running free. It can also be attributed to poor QB play, by either getting the ball out too late or too early. Hopefully what we've heard of Mark throwing to a spot and trusting his guys will be there proves true and along with a more vertical passing game we'll see more productive passing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well 2 out of 3 of our top receivers at the start of 2011 are not in the league right now,so that tells me our core last year was crappy.

I think some of that has to do with Schitty..when you have all 5 receivers run 4 yard curl routes...Plus play Mulligan all the damn time..who was no threat to open up the middle.

Hill's speed should help..if nothing else send him on go routes.

And I'm optimistic on the tight ends.I liked what I saw out of Baker and look forward to Cumberland coming back.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious, outside of Revis, which other Jets DB is considered All-World?
    Tell me who has a better #2 CB than the Jets? Our overall pass D wasn't fantastic because our Safeties sucked.