Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your favorite Credit Card

Amex black

why drive around looking for prostitutes when you can just call the concierge and have them delivered....

Ask SAR

Veteran
    I have an Amex card and also an AAdvantage MasterCard that earns American Airlines points. I have a ton of AA points but don't travel as much as I used to, so the points pile up and can't be redeemed for anything else but travel.

Has anyone used points.com? I heard you can register different frequent flyer and other accounts. Then you can use/combine your points to get gift cards and merchandise. I'm thinking about signing up and using my AA points to get gift cards (free $$ basically) since I'm not traveling much. Anyone use this site? If so, is it reputable? Are there others like this? TIA.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    I've had an Aadvantage Gold card forever. It gets me 2 free tix in First Class seats every couple of years on long trips (eg. Hawaii, Italy, Singapore). Does Amex do that? I ask because it's getting harder on American and its partners to redeem the miles. I do like that they never expire. I've got over 500,000 miles in the bank at this point so I should probably change anyway.
    I have that card too (I think I'm platinum now, although I don't think it means anything). When you say you get 2 free tix in First Class every few years, are you saying you get those on account of earning them or is that one of the perks you can simply take advantage of? If its the latter, I need to look into that as I am missing out.

As you say, American kind of sucks now, especially with the bankruptcy but it flies to where I want to use my miles (i.e. the Caribbean) so I've stuck with them. But, they really have a crappy, aging fleet. I've flown to Europe twice in the past few months once on American, once on Virgin. Virgin has beautiful new A340s, American has awful, old 767s. And the MD80 which is the core of AAs domestic fleet absolutely sucks. Supposedly they are replacing them with a whole new fleet of 737s - long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I have that card too (I think I'm platinum now, although I don't think it means anything). When you say you get 2 free tix in First Class every few years, are you saying you get those on account of earning them or is that one of the perks you can simply take advantage of? If its the latter, I need to look into that as I am missing out.

As you say, American kind of sucks now, especially with the bankruptcy but it flies to where I want to use my miles (i.e. the Caribbean) so I've stuck with them. But, they really have a crappy, aging fleet. I've flown to Europe twice in the past few months once on American, once on Virgin. Virgin has beautiful new A340s, American has awful, old 767s. And the MD80 which is the core of AAs domestic fleet absolutely sucks. Supposedly they are replacing them with a whole new fleet of 737s - long overdue.
    No freebie upgrades anymore just by being an AA Gold member, Crash. I earn the miles and cash them in, generally for first class travel only, unless I'm just taking a quickie trip to say, Chicago or Dallas, or Miami. Agree 100% on the state of the fleet. The Super 80 is an absolute dog today.