Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rochester New York

Hall Of Fame
    Webster is the best suburb of Rochester.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Yeah...I agree with most all that. I have good ties to Rochester. Good friends live there, I almost moved there in 1989. The economy (last 7 years_), to be honest, is terrible. NO NEW companies are moving there. Property taxes are extremely high so if you dont have a terrific job, it can be difficult. 25 years ago Rochester was awesome. Now...its moving in the direction of Buffalo unfortunately.

Ramone...do you remember Montana Mills Bread Company???
    I work about two miles away from the Montana Mills Bread Company. I think they have a place in 12 corners plaza in Brighton? I've never been in there, but i should check it out.

Do you have a connection there?

Waterboy
    [QUOTE=freestater;4540058]Webster is the best suburb of Rochester. [/

Webster is great too. I have some good friends that live there.

I live over in Scottsville, originally from Albion. I haven't run into any Jets fans over here yet. This message board is great for us out of town fans.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Odds and ends. Rochester, I've heard it said, is a large town masquerading as a small city. There are some limitations that come with it, but some advantages as well. With the exception of the heaviest rush hour times, I can generally drive the expressways around Rochester with my cruise control on. By contrast, I've been in hour long traffic jams in NYC that lasted over an hour. In Roch., you're never more than twenty minutes to anywhere. Rochester and the surrounding areas have great parks and is highly commited to "green-space". From folks I know that have moved away and eventually come back ( a very VERY common occurrence) one of the reasons for returning is often "I wanted to raise my kids here".
    Whoa. Just blew my mind. Time travel's a bytch.

Hall Of Fame
    From folks I know that have moved away and eventually come back ( a very VERY common occurrence) one of the reasons for returning is often "I wanted to raise my kids here".

I'm amazed how many people who don't have a lot of cash eek out a sh!tty life in NJ, LI, or most of the Washington to Boston corridor (even where I am). Crappy 60's and 70's ranches and split levels that are about to fall down for $400k. Not to mention they have to send their kids to pricey Catholic schools because the public schools are overrun with little thugs. Why don't these people get out of their hell holes and move to the midwest - I basically consider Syracuse and west the midwest. Cheap homes, nice neighborhoods, free and safe schools. Indy... Milwaukee......
    this place by Rochester sounds nice.... People in these areas are a hell of a lot friendlier and happier.

If you can afford a nice life in the corridor great. If not, get the **** out.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Whoa. Just blew my mind. Time travel's a bytch.
    Yeah... lol.

I like pot.

what I meant to say was, I've been in traffic jams at midnight that lasted over an hour.

my bad.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I'm amazed how many people who don't have a lot of cash eek out a sh!tty life in NJ, LI, or most of the Washington to Boston corridor (even where I am). Crappy 60's and 70's ranches and split levels that are about to fall down for $400k. Not to mention they have to send their kids to pricey Catholic schools because the public schools are overrun with little thugs. Why don't these people get out of their hell holes and move to the midwest - I basically consider Syracuse and west the midwest. Cheap homes, nice neighborhoods, free and safe schools. Indy... Milwaukee......
    this place by Rochester sounds nice.... People in these areas are a hell of a lot friendlier and happier.

we got a saying in Rochester... if you can't make it here, you can't make it anywhere.

All Pro
    I love Rochester. With the exception of the Air Force and a brief job I held in NYC, I've lived here all my life. Economically speaking, it's not as fast paced as some other markets, but it has it's advantages as well. The cost of living is pretty low, especially real estate prices. It's not uncommon to see 1500sq ft homes on 1/4 acre lots in the mid 100s. Probably not in the Pittsford area, Pittsford is one of the better suburbs.

The job market has been slow in Roch. but the jobs that are here are often technology-based, as the city has a reputation for a well educated workforce. If you'rte coming here with a job already in place, it's a huge benefit. While the economy has taken some hits with the loss of Kodak and the outsourcing of many of Xerox's workforce, the local economy has done pretty well in absorbing the loss.

Lifestyle options in Roch. are pretty wide-ranging. If you're the outdoors-type, the list is pretty much endless. Plenty of fishing along the great lakes and of course, the big lake, Lake Ontario. There is great deer hunting all over the region. If you're a golfer, the amount of public courses is fantastic. I can't recall how many times I've been out this season (it's over a dozen) and I have yet to play the same course twice. There are a couple of areas for nightlife -the Monroe Ave area (the hipster region) and the East End. There's Charlotte (pronounced Char- Lot) which has a nice beach and a row of bars/ restaurants. Plenty of shopping. There are three large area malls plus endless plazas and strip malls.

Restaurants and dining. Roch. has a great compilation of various ethnic and regional dining. Anything from Thai to Indian, German cuisine (including an awesome German deli that seats folks German beer-hall style deep in the 'hood, complete with live German music and the obligatory Germulichite) There are fantastic BBQ joints and steakhouses (You gotta try Delmonico's on E. Henrietta Rd.) Just about any fare you could want is available in Rochester. No thoughts on dining would be complete without mentioning Wegman's groceries. Wegman's is the gold standard of grocery stores. If there's one thing people who move away from Roch. all say, it's that they miss Wegman's.

As for the weather. Yes, we do ghet some snow here in winter. And by some, I mean a lot. Around here, it's not the end of the world. The towns know how to handle it, and the people are pretty adept at driving in it. It usually lasts about 4 months with good snow on the ground. As an old weatherman used to say around here, "nothing we can't handle". The summers are usually very pleasant and mild. We don't get many days in the 90s, and when we do, it's newsworthy. A good location just south of Lake Ontario really helps temper our temperatures, even if it does account for a little more snow in winter time.

Odds and ends. Rochester, I've heard it said, is a large town masquerading as a small city. There are some limitations that come with it, but some advantages as well. With the exception of the heaviest rush hour times, I can generally drive the expressways around Rochester with my cruise control on. By contrast, I've been in hour long traffic jams in NYC that lasted over an hour. In Roch., you're never more than twenty minutes to anywhere. Rochester and the surrounding areas have great parks and is highly commited to "green-space". From folks I know that have moved away and eventually come back ( a very VERY common occurrence) one of the reasons for returning is often "I wanted to raise my kids here".

All in all, Rochester is a small, laid-back community with a variety of lifestyles and environments that can suit almost anyone. Good luck with your move (should you choose to make it) and remember that T.C. Hooligans on Ridge Road in Webster usually gets a small band of Jets fans on Sundays for Jets games. (ironically they have a Jets Jay Feidler signed jersey on the wall ).

That reminds me of something my dad once said when he was on the marijuana, "do you feel more like you do now than you did when you walked in?"

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    That reminds me of something my dad once said when he was on the marijuana, "do you feel more like you do now than you did when you walked in?"
    when you are on pot that makes perfect sense

All Pro
    Indeed it does.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Ramone View Post
    I work about two miles away from the Montana Mills Bread Company. I think they have a place in 12 corners plaza in Brighton? I've never been in there, but i should check it out.

Do you have a connection there?
    YES.....

Jets Insider VIP

yep...I moved to NC,,tripled my income as private industry here is booming.

Jets Insider VIP
    Crappy 60's and 70's ranches and split levels that are about to fall down for 400k...
    Bingo.

Subdivided Suburbia.

Gay.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post

Subdivided Suburbia.

Gay.

Sent from my Double-Wide
    Oh the irony.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

-
    question for you Mister anti-pot

Ever listen to a Pink Floyd album and put the drums in one corner of your head, the bass in another corner, the vocals and guitars in their own corners and listen to them separately?

didn't think so

Ever cook a Steak-Um on a frying pan and look at it . I mean REALLY look at it. The sizzling juice popping. The cooked meat starting to curl. Frigging beautiful. A miracle.

Jets Insider VIP
    question for you Mister anti-pot

Ever listen to a Pink Floyd album and put the drums in one corner of your head, the bass in another corner, the vocals and guitars in their own corners and listen to them separately?

didn't think so

Ever cook a Steak-Um on a frying pan and look at it . I mean REALLY look at it. The sizzling juice popping. The cooked meat starting to curl. Frigging beautiful. A miracle.
    cabin fever...Vermont style....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Oh the irony.

-
    My double wide is on its own lot and is zoned industrial.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Ever cook a Steak-Um on a frying pan and look at it .
    Ha ha...you dont cook steak-ums.

You tried to trick me.

-