Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York Jets' Rex Ryan will win a Super Bowl -- one day (By Adam Schein NFL.com)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

New York Jets' Rex Ryan will win a Super Bowl -- one day (By Adam Schein NFL.com)

New York Jets' Rex Ryan will win a Super Bowl -- one day
    By Adam Schein NFL.com

Rex Ryan is the perfect coach to lead the New York Jets to their first Super Bowl title since the days of "Broadway" Joe Namath. I've never been more convinced of this.

You read that correctly.

Brace yourselves, haters.

He is polarizing. He can be lovable and loathsome, depending on which team you root for. But when you get past the bluster, you have to respect Rex Ryan as a winner.

He's George Steinbrenner, Barney Rubble, Barnum and Bailey and Bill Belichick rolled into one. He will rub you the wrong way, trying to win while making sure his team simultaneously dominates the back pages in New York and gets plenty of national exposure. He's a cartoon character, a true showman and genuine ringmaster for the Jets' big-top circus.

But don't overlook the comparison to Belichick; he's also a great defensive-minded head coach. Players love playing for him. He is fueled and motivated by the epic collapse that killed the Jets' playoff hopes in 2011. The key is that he's smart enough to implement the changes he needs while staying true to his core beliefs.

I spoke at length with Ryan on a hot Friday morning at training camp in Cortland, N.Y., for an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio. He was literally and figuratively different than he's been before. He's lost 100 pounds. He is healthier, sharper, more energized. He was also humbled. That's not a characteristic one would ever have associated with the loudmouth in the past.

Ryan called last season "embarrassing, frustrating, and humbling," and meant every single word. He learned a valuable lesson while losing the pulse of the Jets, who bickered and bumbled their way to an 8-8 finish by dropping three straight to the Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants and Miami Dolphins. The Jets missed the playoffs for the first time in Ryan's three years coaching in New York. He vowed they wouldn't miss the postseason again.

"I build teams," Ryan said. "I trusted our team last year. We were coming off of back-to-back AFC title games. I assumed we had the chemistry. We didn't have the chemistry. We didn't go to Cortland last year with the lockout. We lost control. And of course, the Super Bowl guarantee thing."

Ah, yes. The "Super Bowl guarantee" thing.

Last year, at the NFL Scouting Combine, with an NFL Network camera following him into the interview room, Ryan walked to the interview stage like a WWE wrestler before declaring the Jets would win the big one. Remember, this was February of 2011, just weeks before labor Armageddon ground the offseason to a halt. Everyone in the room knew the free-agency period wasn't going to start on time. Ryan didn't know who was going to be on his team. As I watched the scene unfold, my jaw dropped to the floor. Ryan had officially jumped the shark, securing his future as the boy who cried Super Bowl.

Ryan said he's learned since then. And there's good reason to believe him. Perhaps you haven't noticed -- thanks to the insanity surrounding the addition of Tim Tebow -- but there have been no guarantees this year.

The "new Rex" has been seriously tested this offseason. Santonio Holmes has put forth nonsense on a seemingly daily basis, but Ryan has handled the receiver's comments with aplomb. Ryan had a ripe opportunity to gin up controversy when President Obama recently offered his take on Tebow, Mark Sanchez and the Jets' quarterback situation, creating headlines that screamed for an appearance by the old Rex. Can't you just imagine the back pages of the New York tabloids? Would he talk politics? Would he challenge the president to a fight -- or a football game -- on the White House lawn? Instead, Ryan refused to comment on the matter. It was a rather significant turning point.

Most recently, Ryan has had to deal with some attention-grabbing fist-fights erupting during practices. Ryan broke up a brawl on Monday, then forced the team to run laps after a pair of skirmishes interrupted Tuesday's workouts. He's sending a clear message that he won't tolerate anything but a disciplined approach.

In addition to changing his appearance and his ways, Ryan has changed his coaching staff. Brian Schottenheimer is a good offensive coordinator. He just wasn't a mirror image of Rex Ryan. Exit Schottenheimer and enter Tony Sparano. Ryan raved about the incredible energy Sparano has brought to the team since he was hired. Ryan stumbled as a head coach by trusting Schottenheimer with the offense in 2011, failing to ensure he would implement the team's signature "ground-and-pound" approach. There will be no such problems with Sparano. Ryan took similar steps to address the Jets' sporadic pass rush, hiring defensive-line coach Karl Dunbar, who maximized the abilities of Jared Allen with the Minnesota Vikings. Watch second-year pro Muhammad Wilkerson thrive under his guidance.

Here's the key. Ryan has attempted to be less controversial, but he remains super confident, recently saying he's the best defensive mind in the NFL. OK, he's not Belichick or Dick LeBeau, but I'd put Ryan next on that list. His body of work speaks for itself. He has worked hand-in-hand with coordinator -- and longtime friend -- Mike Pettine to coach the defense. Now Ryan is taking ownership, planning to call plays. With Sparano implementing Ryan's offensive plan, he can focus more intensely on defense and on improving his in-game management.

Ryan was livid that his defense finished fifth last year, though frankly, if you watched the Jets play, you wondered how they ranked that high. The Jets showed poor tackling fundamentals and struggled in the fourth quarter, and it made Ryan sick. He vowed that his defense wouldn't finish that low again. He has the fire. He has the résumé. He has player support; as linebacker David Harris said, "We refuse to let him down again."

Please don't misinterpret my point. The New England Patriots are the team to beat in the AFC, let alone the AFC East, and an improved Buffalo Bills squad will only make the division tougher. But Ryan has transformed a squad that had the life sucked out of it by his predecessor, Eric Mangini. Ryan has given the Jets a chance to win big every year since he took over.

The Jets will make the playoffs in 2012 and take their postseason swings. They also have a good core for the future, and should be able to add talent as needed, because free agents like playing for Rex Ryan. Finally, the Jets organization believes in him.

He doesn't do it like Belichick, or, for that matter, New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin, Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin or Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy. Ryan has learned and grown while staying true to himself. It will help the Jets win the Super Bowl one day. And once they do, he won't ever stop talking.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. an actual writer/media member who doesn't think the Jets will flop this year.

I totally agree Rex is really beginning to change his ways and it will help him become more of a complete coach. Schein makes some very valid points that get completely overlooked because of the media-created Tebow stuff and because most of the media's insistence to only take jabs and report what they want the readers/fans to read/hear.

And I love the fact that team leaders like Harris say they refuse to let Rex down again. Guess Rex hasn't lost the whole locker room, huh?

I thought last year was a complete disaster. But this year, despite the overblown reaction to the practice fights, the overblown reaction to Cro's WR boast, the overblown reaction to Tebow, etc., etc., etc. whatever the media makes a huge deal over, is going to be a completely different story. When you get knocked down to size during a year with big expectations, it humbles, angers and embarrasses you. I really don't think the Jets will let it happen this season.
    Last edited by BamaJets; 08-08-2012 at 04:39 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He thinks Tebow should be the starting QB. I cant take his opinion seriously even if I do agree with it. He's off his rocker.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    He thinks Tebow should be the starting QB. I cant take his opinion seriously even if I do agree with it. He's off his rocker.
    Usually off his rocker, but different this time. His article isn't just focused on what as most other media outlets focus on -- Tebow, locker room turmoil, on-field fights, etc.

Schein actually thought outside the box this time. Pointing out Rex isn't getting into the verbal jabs with the rest of the world or making bold predictions. Or how Sparano brings a ton of energy and Karl Dunbar is a great DL coach. Or how the players support him and want to play for him.

The rest of the media outlets/journalists don't report on that stuff. They are still stuck on the end of the last season and how camp is a circus -- whatever the f that means.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Positivity is a rare read from the media concerning Rex or the Jets. Adam can Schein my shoes anytime he wants

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    no way rex ryan and the jets will be winning a SB aytime soon. this three ring circus has one agenda, and its to be in the media in the offseason, and we are good at that. come the reg season, we will choke and watch out stadium counterpart win the big games. nyj 40+ yrs of losing

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... good read ...

other than this:

Brian Schottenheimer is a good offensive coordinator
    i agree with most of what he was saying

... i loves me some rex! ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been happy with Rex from the moment Tanny signed him, and contrary to what some Miserable SOJF's say on this board, I think Rex will lead us to a title one day and here's why:

Rex is pound for pound the best defensive coach in football (Only Lebeau might be better, Belichick is SUPER OVERRATED as a defensive coach)

Rex is willing to do whatever it takes to win. He doesn't have the same stubbornness his father did. He's proven he is willing to make the necessary adjustments to win. This isn't all a show (playoff games in IND and NE, firing Schotty, etc)

Yes he took a step back last year, but give him a chance to turn it around. He's taking last season very personal and is hellbent on doing better this season, by any means necessary.

That's the type of spirit I want to see out of my head coach.
    Last edited by carlito1171; 08-08-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post

I've been happy with Rex from the moment Tanny signed him, and contrary to what some Miserable SOJF's say on this board, I think Rex will lead us to a title one day and here's why:

Rex is pound for pound the best defensive coach in football (Only Lebeau might be better, Belichick is SUPER OVERRATED as a defensive coach)

Rex is willing to do whatever it takes to win. He doesn't have the same stubbornness his father did. He's proven he is willing to make the necessary adjustments to win. This isn't all a show (playoff games in IND and NE, firing Schotty, etc)

Yes he took a step back last year, but give him a chance to turn it around. He's taking last season very personal and is hellbent on doing better this season, by any means necessary.

agreed. too many here have already given up on him after 3 years! nothing gets your attention like a little smack in the face like last season

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great in print and I will further that by saying he is BETTTER than Lebeau. It takes more than a coach. It takes commitment from management, discipline and of course talent.

Our overall team behavior does not resemple that of truly winning teams. In 2011, it came close. Its about more than just Rex and in truth...name another SB coach that behaves like Rex.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post

Wrong. This is from a week ago.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Busting myths about Broncos, 49ers, Mark Sanchez/Tim Tebow
    By Adam Schein
    Columnist, NFL.com
    Published: Aug. 1, 2012

The Myth: The New York Jets are a chaotic mess at quarterback.
    The Truth: Mark Sanchez/Tim Tebow will work.

Let me give it to you in the simplest of terms. Tebow is the backup quarterback and will run the Wildcat. He is an upgrade over Mark Brunell. And because he is the omnipresent Timothy Richard Tebow, he will light a fire under Sanchez. In fact, he already has.

Sanchez made too many turnovers in big spots last season and lost the team. The Jets smartly moved to spark him. Talking to Sanchez, you hear an edge, a seriousness to him that hadn't been evident in his first three years. He is now the first guy in the building and the last one to leave.

New offensive coordinator Tony Sparano is key. He has a no-nonsense style, and Sanchez has responded to his coaching. Sparano will run the ball, unlike former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who ruined Christmas with the 59 passes he had Sanchez attempt in a Dec. 24 loss to the Giants. Tebow is Sparano's New York version of Ricky Williams/Ronnie Brown. The polarizing signal-caller will run the Wildcat. Sanchez will be split out wide and deal with it, the way Chad Pennington did when the Miami Dolphins ran the Wildcat.

I'm not naïve when it comes to the power of Tebow. Every Sanchez miscue will be magnified, with chants of "Te-bow" heard in unison. But let's not forget that Sanchez does have four road playoff wins under his belt. The Jets' defense will help out, returning to prominence as a top-three unit. Last year was a lost season. The Tebow trade has actually helped Sanchez -- and the Jets -- find their identity again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...ncheztim-tebow

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has player support; as linebacker David Harris said, "We refuse to let him down again."
    HEY NAYSAYER

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everything fell apart for this team last year and we went 8-8.

Rex ain't going nowhere. Woody isn't going to jettison the best coach we've had since Parcells, just because some "fans" want to place the Earth back in the center of the Universe.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Sounds great in print and I will further that by saying he is BETTTER than Lebeau. It takes more than a coach. It takes commitment from management, discipline and of course talent.

Our overall team behavior does not resemple that of truly winning teams. In 2011, it came close. Its about more than just Rex and in truth...name another SB coach that behaves like Rex.
    +1

I do agree with most of what you said, for now this is mainly talk and the results will show on the field

however (and I know this will sound like a broken-record) us getting to 2 AFCCG's is no accident, I have faith we can win being brash (minus the SB guarantees of course)

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree, get the O going and we are in the hunt.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Wait, haven't you read what SAR, Rextillion and the rest of the sky is falling, SOJF contingent are saying.

The season is over, we'll be lucky to win 6 and Rex will be fired at years end.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Everything fell apart for this team last year and we went 8-8.

+1

look around the league there are many teams would kill for 8-8. For the Jets it was a disaster, but they'd take 8 wins in many markets. Happily.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    no way rex ryan and the jets will be winning a SB aytime soon. this three ring circus has one agenda, and its to be in the media in the offseason, and we are good at that. come the reg season, we will choke and watch out stadium counterpart win the big games. nyj 40+ yrs of losing
    Sure you're a jets fan???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    HEY NAYSAYER
    LOL

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would change 10 things about this team before I'd ever want to change Rex Ryan.