Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Howie Long would've passed on Tebow

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Howie Long would've passed on Tebow

Guys...the GM of GM thinks we made a mistake. Our Front Office TOTALLY BLEW IT

http://profootballta...assed-on-tebow/

Howie Long would have passed on Tebow
    Posted by Mike Florio on August 8, 2012, 11:28 AM EDT
    Getty Images
    The Boomer & Carton show on WFAN continues to generate Tebow-related news. Earlier this week, co-host Boomer Esiason said the Jets should cut Tim Tebow. Earlier today, Hall of Famer Howie Long, of the NFL on FOX, said on the program that the Jets shouldn’t have traded for Tebow.
    “I wouldn’t have brought him in,” Long said. “When Tim Tebow comes, he comes with great distraction. I’m not a fan of the HBO series. I think it’s entertaining, but I think it gives the outside world access and distracts your football team. Tim Tebow has that kind of impact on a football team. . . .
    “The round-the-clock, 24-hour-a-day coverage that the Jets are getting on every throw . . . every down and distance, red zone, that Tebow takes snaps from the punt team, I think it distracts from your football team and your focus. And it’s a good Jets football team that could contend for a Super Bowl.”
    The only good development that could come from all the attention is that, if the Jets get to the Super Bowl, they’ll be unfazed by all the attention. But if the attention before the season starts makes it harder to get to the Super Bowl, it won’t matter

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Howie Long? Boomer Esaison? John Elway? Joe Namath?

What do they know about football?

I'll take my chances with Woody Johnson........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    FYI - Tebow speaks directly with God.

At least we got that going for us.......

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So there's actual games starting in two (2) days and the media are still writing articles one by one about what every person in America thinks about Tebow?

Thanks, GM Motors spokesperson, I'll put you down in the 'nay' category. Very valuable info, this.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    within 24 hours we will be reading the following:

“I've heard nothing but great things about Mr. Long,” Tebow said. “I know he was a great player, and I just wish him nothing but the best in his announcing and God bless him.”

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although I agree, if I were Howie, I would have passed on "Firestorm"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    another excellent reason to avoid NY local sportstalk and profootballfloriocrap too

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What some people haven't figured out is that Tebow is just the kind of distraction the team needs.

Is every one picking and kicking at Sanchez this off season? Nope.
    Is every one in a lather over anything that Rex says? Nope.
    Would all the negative press be jumping all over guys lie Holmes and Cromartie all day long if they didn't have Tebow to write about? Yes.

The whole Tebow circus is a good thing for the Jets, let the media feast on his every move and have them all forget about the Jets. This team is going to surprise a lot of people this year in a good way. With a less direct eye on him Sanchez will be better and like it or not Tebow is a good leader, a hard worker, no trouble off the field and a winner. Far better for Sanchez to have a guy nearer his own age as a back up than some old Methuselah.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing how all these guys go out on a limb, so risky.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Howie Long? Boomer Esaison? John Elway? Joe Namath?

What do they know about football?

I'll take my chances with Woody Johnson........
    These guys are wrong about a LOT of things if you listen to them enough.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    What circus?

What a week of ESPN at camp?

With lead ins saying that camp is a circus or controversy filled?

Only to have Sal P, Jaws, Key and whoever was a Jet camp shoot it down and say how well the Jets are handling all of this, how well Sanchez, Tebow and the team are taking it?

Then saying with no room for doubt that Sanchez is the QB of this team and Tebow will be used as Rex has said he will be used all along?

This is everyones idea of a circus?

Is there anyone in the media who isn't around the team who can come up with a different lead on the Jets?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    Long said. “And it’s a good Jets football team that could contend for a Super Bowl.”
    Notice what everyone focuses on.

Tebow = Doom

Not "It's a good Jets team that could contend for a Super Bowl"

Not "If they handle the distraction early, it could help them later"

And not the fact that Long doesn't mention, anywhere, anything that occurs ON THE FIELD, only the off-field distraction.

I'd prefer to focus on the good. Long thinks we're a potential Super Bowl team that can contend, and if we handel the early media-driven Tebow-hype, could be in a better psoition late to handle difficulty and distractions.

And Tebow will offer more on the field than the "no comment" shown in Long's comments to that aspect of the aquisition.

IMO, Long's comments are GREAT news, positive news, to me.
    Last edited by Warfish; 08-08-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    MMC

(Media Manufactured Circus)

The only people, more than us fans, who need this NFL season to start is the media. They've been playing with themselves over the Jets and Tebow for weeks now!

While the Jets continue to practice and prepare for the season, the media is in mid-season form and has spent the last few days acting as if we're already in Week 8 and the Jets are a disaster. We traded a 4th round pick to get a backup QB and Wildcat threat....that's it. The Jets aren't the ones who took Tebow in Round 1 and declared him a starting QB. In fact, just the opposite...the Jets have gone out of their way to define Tebow as the backup and even put him on Punt coverage. The only QB controversy that exists is in the minds of the media and a few fans who ignore the current reality.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 08-08-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    What some people haven't figured out is that Tebow is just the kind of distraction the team needs.

Would all the negative press be jumping all over guys lie Holmes and Cromartie all day long if they didn't have Tebow to write about? Yes.

The whole Tebow circus is a good thing for the Jets, let the media feast on his every move and have them all forget about the Jets. This team is going to surprise a lot of people this year in a good way. With a less direct eye on him Sanchez will be better and like it or not Tebow is a good leader, a hard worker, no trouble off the field and a winner. Far better for Sanchez to have a guy nearer his own age as a back up than some old Methuselah.
    Just wait till kickoff. I don't know about you, but I'm going to be embarrassed by a stadium full of idiots chanting "we want Tebow" all year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    As if a media sh!tstorm like NY couldn't handle it.

Tebow doesn't make the circus, people like Howie do.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    preseason game in two days

regular season game in less than one month

can't come soon enough

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    preseason game in two days

regular season game in less than one month

can't come soon enough
    Can't believe it's here.

The weeks flew by like bullets in Juárez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Just wait till kickoff. I don't know about you, but I'm going to be embarrassed by a stadium full of idiots chanting "we want Tebow" all year.
    Oh I agree it will happen and it will be annoying as heck no question about it but I actually think the Jets and sanchez are going to play well enough and that Tebow will get enough playing time as it is that this is going to work out.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... certain elements of the media are trying so hard to push the distraction / tebow will ruin the season element which is simply not true ...

... most jets fans are smart enough to know that tebow as our #1 qb is not going to win us the superbowl ...

... we need sanchez to step forward this season ...

... tebow will be in there for the wildcat/gadget/trick plays ... and that is all ...

PUMPED FOR THE SEASON

l_j_r

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

That is actually a really good point. I do love how everyone is worried about the tebow media circus as if NYC metro area teams did not deal with a media circus already. Now they have a focus not named sanchez.