Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right-wing extremist terrorism as deadly a threat as al Qaeda?

JetsInsider.com Legend

Right-wing extremist terrorism as deadly a threat as al Qaeda?

Right-wing extremist terrorism as deadly a threat as al Qaeda?

By Peter Bergen, CNN National Security Analyst, and Jennifer Rowland, Special to CNN

Editor's note: Peter Bergen, CNN's national security analyst, is a director at the New America Foundation, a Washington-based think tank that seeks innovative solutions across the ideological spectrum, and the author of the new book "Manhunt: The Ten-Year Search for Bin Laden -- From 9/11 to Abbottabad." Jennifer Rowland is a program associate at the New America Foundation.

Washington (CNN) -- The word "terrorism" in the United States usually brings to mind plots linked in some way to al Qaeda, while the danger posed to the public by white supremacists, anti-abortion extremists and other right-wing militants is often overlooked.

Militants linked to al Qaeda or inspired by jihadist ideology have carried out four terrorist attacks in the United States since September 11, which have resulted in 17 deaths. Thirteen of them were in a shooting incident at Fort Hood, Texas, in November 2009.

By contrast, right-wing extremists have committed at least eight lethal terrorist attacks in the United States that have resulted in the deaths of nine people since 9/11, according to data compiled by the New America Foundation.

The numbers in the New America Foundation database may well understate the toll of violence from right-wing extremists. Another FBI study reported that between January 1, 2007, and October 31, 2009, white supremacists were involved in 53 acts of violence, 40 of which were assaults directed primarily at African-Americans, seven of which were murders and the rest of which were threats, arson and intimidation. Most of these were treated as racially motivated crimes rather than political acts of violence, i.e. terrorism.

In the past year, the FBI has concluded investigations into a number of right-wing extremists, in some cases securing lengthy sentences for violent plots. In December, Kevin Harpham of Spokane, Washington, was sentenced to 32 years for planting a bomb at the site of a Martin Luther King Jr. parade. City workers found the bag containing the bomb an hour before the streets filled with parade-goers.

After 9/11, there was great concern that al Qaeda or an allied group would launch a terrorist attack involving chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear (CBRN) weapons. But in the past decade, there is no evidence that jihadist extremists in the United States have acquired or attempted to acquire material to construct CBRN weapons.

By contrast, 11 right-wing and left-wing extremists have managed to acquire CBRN material that they planned to use against the public, government employees or both.

Not included in those numbers were four elderly Georgia men who were arrested in November, accused of plotting to produce the deadly toxin ricin, which they wanted to throw out of a car window as they drove along a highways in the eastern and southern United States. The government says that one of the men, Frederick Thomas, was recorded by an informant as saying, "There is no way for us, as militiamen, to save this country, to save Georgia, without doing something that's highly, highly illegal: murder."

Right-wing extremist individuals over the past decade in the United States were as likely to use violence as a means to express their political or social beliefs as those motivated by Osama bin Laden's ideology. Even more worryingly, during the same time period, right-wing and left-wing extremist groups and individuals have been far more likely to acquire toxins and to assemble the makings of radiological weapons than al Qaeda sympathizers

I find the constant representation of "right-wing" instead of "Neo-Nazi" or "White Supremacist" or "Anarchist" to be of particular interest.

I also find it interesting that I've not seen a similar article regarding "left-wing" violence (including OWS) for that same period.

Finally, it is IMO interesting to point out that the last two shooters were products of Government systems, in Colorado the University, and in Wisonsin the Millitary, and in both cases there appears to be evidence that that Government system had some knowledge their change was unstable and potentially violenent, yet did nothing more than cut loose the two men and washed their hands.

This goes hand in hand with the Nadal Millitary shooting, which does not get classified as "Terrorism" or has it's "wing" identified, but is a similar case of a Government System failing to stop one of it's own from engaging in mass murder.

Hall Of Fame
    I stopped after I read "CNN".

The only thing as deadly as Al-Qaeda is the stupidity of our gov't.

Hall Of Fame
    what more is there to say? Its the usual crap. And 3 months till an election.

I enjoyed this article because it is a study in the word play the media use to manipulate people. Lets brush aside the fact that left wing extremists are much more likely to use violence and terrorism to push their ideology. Lets ignore the fact that the article references 8 acts of right wing terror resulting in 9 deaths and indicates that is a high number. I dont even need to look it up to know that left wing extremists have committed many many timer more acts of violence and terror in the past decade. None of it will convince anyone with a brain that left or right wing extremism is more of a threat then Al Qaeda or Islamist Terror.

I hate neo-Nazis and white supremacists with a passion. Thats not the point though. The media calls people like Paul Ryan and Scott Walker "right wing extremists". They drill that stuff in to the psyche of the people. Then they come out with articles about right wing extremists committing acts of terror. It is designed to convince people that republicans and "the folks that vote Republican" are behind some terror attacks. This is propaganda being put out by people with an agenda.

Remember the conference call where Schumer was telling his fellow Senators to "make sure you use the word extremist when referring to Republicans". It is a planned and conscious effort to smear.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    But all Liberals are Moonbats AMIRITE?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Nope. Only a small minority.

Although I wouldn't use the term "Moonbat" either way.

All Pro
    My sense is, you are something more extreme.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

I also find it interesting that I've not seen a similar article regarding "left-wing" violence (including OWS) for that same period.
    How many death were the result of left wing (including OWS) violence in the same time period?

Far lefties aren't saints but they aren't big on automatic weapons.

All League
    It really depends on what part of the country you're in.

If you're from the greater NY metro area, like most of us, then no, Right-Wing extremism is less likely to pose a threat as Al Qaeda.

If you live in Georgia, well, I'd say your threat from an Al Qaeda attack are zero, and your threat from right-wing extremists is greater.

Jared Loughner says hi....

I think the federal government ie FBI, ATF, IRS has them both beat by a country mile.

How many death were the result of left wing (including OWS) violence in the same time period?

Actually yhere were some deaths in NYC at OWS sites. Murdered.
    Not sure about other cities.

The real terrorist are the ones who destroy our freedoms because it is best for us.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    The real terrorist are the ones who destroy our freedoms because it is best for us.
    Remember that next time you want to install a democracy abroad.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    remember that next time you want to "lead from behind" and let dictators kill civilians

Really we should just drop the "right wing" "left wing" and label them extremists.

We can't though. Everything has to be pinned on eithe side. When moderate R and D are labeled extremists we have no way of actually qualifying a real one and we call them crazy to appease everyone. These people aren't all crazy.

A lot of laughs in this thread though. "actually left wing extremists are worse. No right wing extremists have guns."

When people want to pin Stalin and the KKK on the Dems and Pubs how can we really have serious political debate?

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    As opposed to propping up dictatorships?

Doesn't matter, moonbats will find a reason to piss and moan and hate the USA.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    remember that next time you want to "lead from behind" and let dictators kill civilians
    "Leading from behind" in Libya... classic.

The 72 hour air campaign that opened that NATO mission was almost exclusively American, because we had the technology to hit Libyan surface to air defense before they could shoot. That cleared the way for France and the UK to contribute.

How is that leading from behind?

Or are you talking about Syria?

If you are, then think about how aggressive your brand of foreign policy is - whenever there are middle eastern civilians dying on TV, you blame it on the US President's lack of action.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Frequent Flyer View Post
    As opposed to propping up dictatorships?

Doesn't matter, moonbats will find a reason to piss and moan and hate the USA.
    Are our only choices in diplomacy invasion/occupation/forced democracy or propping up dictators?

I don't think so.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...s_nationa.html

Any number of "far lefties" use violence to make their "points"; the Baader-Meinhoff Gang is one well known example, as are the Black Bloc anarchists who showed up for OWS protests and are often seen turning world-bank meeting cities into riot zones. A number of the neo-communists quoted in that article I cited for Jetdawwg in his "I wish I was in China" thread make the "we need violence to get the revolution going, violence is good" point quite explicitly.

The fact of the matter is, the mindset that "Goal X is supremely important, therefore it is ok to kill innocents to achieve it" is the province of extremism of all stripes, from religious (al Qaeda) to right wing (McVeigh) to left wing (see above) - and that's true even when it should be generating cognitive dissonance with the peace-love-granola mindset of some left wing extremists. Peace and love, you see, are ideals worth murdering for.