Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Camp Confidential

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

ESPN Camp Confidential

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...ew-york-jets-3

It was a pretty good read and their comments about the O-Line is pretty much spot on with all of our fears.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the most impressive players during our visit to training camp was defensive end Aaron Maybin. The former first-round pick of the Buffalo Bills has really come into his own with the Jets. Last year, he recorded a career-high six sacks, and he looks even better in his second year in the system. Maybin says the “mayhem” is back, and it has looked that way in training camp. He had a sack and quarterback pressure in Saturday’s scrimmage.
    We may get a big season from Maybin!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    New York’s starting offensive line and backups appeared to have been pushed around too often during our camp visit. That should be a concern for Jets fans. New York wants to establish a physical identity on offense, but the line has been unable to establish many running lanes against its defense. Granted, most defenses aren’t as good as New York’s. Preseason games will provide a better indication of where the offensive line stands.

changes is blocking schemes can take time for OL to gell.. they were primarily a zone blocking scheme under Callahan and Shotty..

I think Mangold, Moore, Slauson, D'Brick and Hunter can be physical..

Outside of the starting 5, not sure anyone can play a down..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    thinking of ordering a 51 MAYHEM jersey from tarajersey before the season begins

I think they sell customized for around 50 bucks

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of the Bills, how have the locals in Cortland been treating the JETS fans this summer?

I looked on Syracuse.com and found a few Bills fans commenting on sports articles and no JETS fans saying anything.

I'd LOVE to see the Giants training camp leave U-Albany and have the NY JETS take their place!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's training camp. this is why they have it. olines take some time before the players all pull as one. the change in blocking scheme doesn't help and let's not forget slauson and hunter are still both fairly inexperienced at line play. they will get better. they were terrible last season and still won 8.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope our FO is looking for a WR and RT.

If not....Lord help us..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    I hope our FO is looking for a WR and RT.

If not....Lord help us..
    Where would you like them to look?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    The WR and RT fairy, duh

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    WR's or RT's R US?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Maybin has a big year and proves he can play 3 downs, I would put his contract ahead of everything this off season. Even the biggest Jet haters have good things to say about him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So RT is our big weakness(We may still find an upgrade). All teams have weaknesses. We may have to give him some help over there. I still think a lot had to do with Brick struggling, and the others all being hurt, or playing at less than 100%. You know we have 5 lineman to block 4 guys, but we really couldn't give him any help, because the whole line was struggling. Anyway I'm really anxious to see how they do against the Tigers. I'm hoping the new offense will be able to help out too. You notice that other teams when they play us seem to get the ball out very quickly when we're bringing heat. Ever wonder why we don't adjust, and do the same. I understand that we have no experience at receiver, but I am hopeful that Hill, and White will both surprise a lot of people. White may not have a great 40 time, but his 10yard dash was very good, and he runs great routes. I think he, along with the new scheme will help Sanchez out immensely. He needs a safety blanket. His Welker. I think Kerley will really regret not being ready.

Regardless of all that. Last year if our defense was better we would still have won at least 10 games. I believe this will be our best defense yet. Looks like we're building a pass rush, and substantially upgraded the safeties. Even if the offense is no better than last year we're still a wildcard. People need to stop panicking. Well they don't need to, but they should.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really excited about Maybin, as well as Hill.

It sounds like they're both having good camps.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    With a struggling O line, any D looks good. This is a double edged sword that should worry everyone. The D looks lights out against crappy o, but against better teams they just are not that good. That's why against teams with winning records we just don't win enough.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't read this team at all... I am excited about the season, and I'm hopeful about Sanchez because we have seen moments of really good QB play, and even at his worst he was not Rex Grossman bad / stupid. I'm pumped for this D it'll keep us in a lot of games. If our O figures out how to finish we could have an excellent season. But when people ask me what I think about this season, I really have no idea.

FWIW, getting rid of Bray and Jerrico was just dumb.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    I'm really excited about Maybin, as well as Hill.

It sounds like they're both having good camps.
    +1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    With a struggling O line, any D looks good. This is a double edged sword that should worry everyone. The D looks lights out against crappy o, but against better teams they just are not that good. That's why against teams with winning records we just don't win enough.
    So the D wasn't good last year when it held all-world QB, Eli Manning to 7-21 completions? Everyone knows this D is a passrusher away from being sick... Maybin and Coples might be the answer. Throw in 2 huge upgrades at Safety (Landry and Bell), and some youthful speed at LB (Davis), only the biggest doom & gloom era like yourself aren't excited and anxious to see just how great this D will be. If they aren't top 3 in the league, I would be shocked. I think this D will be better than it was in 2009.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    +1
    And Powell .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PavlovsDogs View Post
    I can't read this team at all... I am excited about the season, and I'm hopeful about Sanchez because we have seen moments of really good QB play, and even at his worst he was not Rex Grossman bad / stupid. I'm pumped for this D it'll keep us in a lot of games. If our O figures out how to finish we could have an excellent season. But when people ask me what I think about this season, I really have no idea.

FWIW, getting rid of Bray and Jerrico was just dumb.
    x10000

At this point I can't tell if the defense has improved leaps and bounds or if the Offense is just still that bad. We knew we had a severe issue at RT, which is now even worse because the bad RT that we have seems to be injured and hurting so what options do we really have there. No QB is going to be effective if the defense is smacking him around every play and his WR's can't get open.

I'm praying Stephen Hill is as good as advertised because they Jets effectively turned their backs twice on the best WR we've had here since Keyshawn.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    So the D wasn't good last year when it held all-world QB, Eli Manning to 7-21 completions? Everyone knows this D is a passrusher away from being sick... Maybin and Coples might be the answer. Throw in 2 huge upgrades at Safety (Landry and Bell), and some youthful speed at LB (Davis), only the biggest doom & gloom era like yourself aren't excited and anxious to see just how great this D will be. If they aren't top 3 in the league, I would be shocked. I think this D will be better than it was in 2009.
    I agree with you that we are a pass rusher and FS away from being elite. Hopefully Maybin is that guy but Landry & Bell are 2 huge question marks right now. Can Landry stay healthy? and we already hear all of the reports that Bell can't cover. Throw into the mix that Landry is a SS and can't cover for $hit either and we are still a ball hawk away from being elite.

I've lived in the DC Metro area for the past 10 years and am pretty much forced to watch Redskin games with my boys (they all watch Jets now too, ) and I can tell you from watching Landry the past few years that even when he was 100% healthy, that he can hit like a LB but he is just god awful in coverage.