Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

Thread: NY Post- Per Rex Slauson beat out Vlad for starting OG spot-

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,708

    NY Post- Per Rex Slauson beat out Vlad for starting OG spot-

    Jets Blog---Slauson beats out Ducasse for Jets starting left guard spot

    1:18 PM, August 8, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

    CORTLAND – The Jets competition at left guard is over.

    Jets coach Rex Ryan said incumbent Matt Slauson has impressed him during training camp, but he still feels Vlad Ducasse will get playing time during the season.

    "I think Vlad will play," Ryan said. "I think he's earned that right. I think he's looked pretty good. But I think right now we'd go with Matt. He's got the experience, but he [also] looks really good to me."

    The Jets coaches surprised everyone on the first day of training camp when Slauson and Ducasse were splitting reps at the position with the first-team offense. Ducasse's reps slowly declined, and Slauson has been getting just about every snap with the first team lately.

    Ducasse has been a disappointment so far in his career. A second-round pick in 2010, he has played sparingly.


    Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...#ixzz22zH9xDb5

  2. #2
    this is news? any nfl person new Ducasse would be a bum and would not get the starting job

  3. #3
    1. He probably should have listened to Sparano's press conference before turning that article into his editor. Tony said the competition isn't over, Slauson is "probably" ahead right now but it's a long way from over.

    2. How has Ducasse been a disappointment exactly? Because he hasn't gotten an opportunity to play yet? If anything Slauson has been a revelation. Let's not forget that Bill Callahan coached Matt at Nebraska. Matt knew the system already. When Alan got released, Matt got a chance and he fit right in because of his experience in the system. Now the system has changed, and Vlad probably has a better skillset for what Tony wants to do. Which is line up and beat the man in front of you, not a zone scheme. This is probably why Vlad is showing real promise right now as opposed to previous years. He's a monster of a man. Slauson is not.

    3. Two years into a career, hasn't had a full training camp until this year... but he's a colossal disappointment because Brandon Moore refuses to get older and decline in play and because Slauson the 6th round pick actually has exceeded expectations to this point. Vlad is going to start eventually, for Moore or by beating out Slauson. A disappointment? That's an idiotic statement considering he hasn't even gotten a chance to play the position yet.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,708
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    1. He probably should have listened to Sparano's press conference before turning that article into his editor. Tony said the competition isn't over, Slauson is "probably" ahead right now but it's a long way from over.

    2. How has Ducasse been a disappointment exactly? Because he hasn't gotten an opportunity to play yet? If anything Slauson has been a revelation. Let's not forget that Bill Callahan coached Matt at Nebraska. Matt knew the system already. When Alan got released, Matt got a chance and he fit right in because of his experience in the system. Now the system has changed, and Vlad probably has a better skillset for what Tony wants to do. Which is line up and beat the man in front of you, not a zone scheme. This is probably why Vlad is showing real promise right now as opposed to previous years. He's a monster of a man. Slauson is not.

    3. Two years into a career, hasn't had a full training camp until this year... but he's a colossal disappointment because Brandon Moore refuses to get older and decline in play and because Slauson the 6th round pick actually has exceeded expectations to this point. Vlad is going to start eventually, for Moore or by beating out Slauson. A disappointment? That's an idiotic statement considering he hasn't even gotten a chance to play the position yet.
    The writer of the article did say he has been a dissapointemt SO FAR in his career. Oh, Slauson is listed as 315 pounds and 6ft 5. You make him seem like a small guy in comparison to Vlad. Incidentally Vlad is listed at 6ft 5 and 325. I guess to you those 10 pounds qualifies your statement!

    why let the facts get in the way of your feelings?

    I wish only for the the Jets to win a SB- soon. it does not matter to me who plays or who doesn't. I do not adhere to hero worship other then the JETS!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 08-08-2012 at 04:28 PM.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,947
    2 years ago, he was drafted to be a starting RT. We have the worst RT in the league and he cant get that job.

    So they tried him at LG and he cannot beat out a 6th round draft pick in Slausen.

    The Vlad experiment is over. Hes a bust. Hr should not be on this roster come 2013. Cut bait and move on.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    2 years ago, he was drafted to be a starting RT. We have the worst RT in the league and he cant get that job.

    So they tried him at LG and he cannot beat out a 6th round draft pick in Slausen.

    The Vlad experiment is over. Hes a bust. Hr should not be on this roster come 2013. Cut bait and move on.
    Yes he was a terrible 2010 pick...hey didn't Victor Cruz play on the same college team as Ducasse?

    So the Jets spent a ton of time at UMass scouting Ducasse and and even make a pass a Cruz. That's a joke...just like their scouting.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,759
    Rex is the HC. Should supersede what the OC says.

    Unless we have a HC controversy too.


  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,537
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    Yes he was a terrible 2010 pick...hey didn't Victor Cruz play on the same college team as Ducasse?

    So the Jets spent a ton of time at UMass scouting Ducasse and and even make a pass a Cruz. That's a joke...just like their scouting.
    Cruz went undrafted so ALL NFL teams are a joke.

    There were scouts from over 20 different teams at the Umass pro day in 2010, so at least 20 teams suck at this as well. Happy?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    The writer of the article did say he has been a dissapointemt SO FAR in his career. Oh, Slauson is listed as 315 pounds and 6ft 5. You make him seem like a small guy in comparison to Vlad. Incidentally Vlad is listed at 6ft 5 and 325. I guess to you those 10 pounds qualifies your statement!

    why let the facts get in the way of your feelings?

    I wish only for the the Jets to win a SB- soon. it does not matter to me who plays or who doesn't. I do not adhere to hero worship other then the JETS!
    Really? Vlad was listed at the combine where they actually measure people like it's a religion was 6'4 and 332lbs.

    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...asse?id=497006

    Whether he's actually grown an inch now and lost some body fat, I can't see that being a problem. But are you really trying to say that 10lbs isn't a big difference? Bart Scott lost 10lbs, compromising strength for speed. Ducasse has a huge wingspan, something that is pretty valuable to NFL scouts. And inconveniently enough for you something that is a knock on Slauson, his short arm length. And are you equating weight to strength? Just because Slauson is 315lbs doesn't mean he's as strong as Ducasse at 330lbs. In fact, that was the knock on Slauson coming out of college.

    "He has good athleticism, including a 34-inch vertical leap, but the knocks on him are that he isn't as powerful at times as he should be and tends to drop his hands while blocking."
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2009&genpos=OG

    I guess I don't look at the facts though. Sorry that the facts don't fit your agenda.

    LMAO, seriously? What an ignorant statement. Slauson only put up 225 23 times at his pro day. Ducasse put up 32 times. I guess those 9 extra reps qualify my statement.

    So please, don't let the facts get in the way of your feelings or agenda.... no matter how wrong you are.
    Last edited by southside; 08-08-2012 at 05:01 PM.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,883
    I'd bet on Nebraska over UMass at OL almost every time.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,759
    south, Anybody who questions Vlad physical attributes is a fool. No need to argue those, he is an impressive specimen. But that does not automatically translate into being a football player. Vlad is a lot like Gholston in that regard.

    Vlad will look great in the weight-room. Look great blocking air in OTAs. But once you put a live player on him in practice he shows some cracks. Then in a real NFL game he gets overmatched.

    What I took from Sparano's presser isn't that Vlad is still in the hunt. I expect them to say that. I thought the most telling then he said was when he was talking about players looking different in games than they do in practice. He said he talked to the team about that. THAT is where Vlad struggles.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,883
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    south, Anybody who questions Vlad physical attributes is a fool. No need to argue those, he is an impressive specimen. But that does not automatically translate into being a football player. Vlad is a lot like Gholston in that regard.

    Vlad will look great in the weight-room. Look great blocking air in OTAs. But once you put a live player on him in practice he shows some cracks. Then in a real NFL game he gets overmatched.

    What I took from Sparano's presser isn't that Vlad is still in the hunt. I expect them to say that. I thought the most telling then he said was when he was talking about players looking different in games than they do in practice. He said he talked to the team about that. THAT is where Vlad struggles.
    Vlads a big bright kid from Haiti that went to UMass, a nice guy. God I hope I'm wrong.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    I'd bet on Nebraska over UMass at OL almost every time.
    Thanks for sharing. Not sure what that has to do with anything other than one school's reputation vs another. I bet you'd take USC QBs over Delaware QBs too? Well Flacco is better than Matt Leinart. So you could see my skepticism of your statement.

  14. #14
    Some people feebly clinging to the notion that Ducasse is not a bust?

    2nd round pick, 3rd year in the league, 3rd year of pro coaching, camp or off season stuff or not if he is beat out for the starting guard spot before the 1st ex game and if he was never an alternative at RT when we had the worst one in the league last year, it means the guy sucks. Oh he may linger around as a backup but he has done nothing in three years (other than getting Robert Turners leg broken).

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,883
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Not sure what that has to do with anything other than one school's reputation vs another. I bet you'd take USC QBs over Delaware QBs too? Well Flacco is better than Matt Leinart. So you could see my skepticism of your statement.
    It's not a reputation it's what they produce. History is generally a good indicator if you would take USC, over Deleware....... well let's just leave it there.

  16. #16
    i don't see the big deal here.

    Slauson was the starter last year, and for the most part, he was our most consistent player on OL. there's no reason for Slauson to lose his job unless he wasn't fully recovered from surgery.

    that being said, it would be very good news if Vlad has improved to the point where he can be considered a viable starter should Slauson or Moore get hurt, or if someone else gets hurt and Slauson has to be moved to another spot.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,920
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    So the Jets spent a ton of time at UMass scouting Ducasse and and even make a pass a Cruz. That's a joke...just like their scouting.
    Not to mention Tanny's alma mater is UMass. You would think he has some sort of insider connection at the school.

    The Ducasse pick was an epic fail. Cruz falling through the cracks is just icing on the cake.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    south, Anybody who questions Vlad physical attributes is a fool. No need to argue those, he is an impressive specimen. But that does not automatically translate into being a football player. Vlad is a lot like Gholston in that regard.

    Vlad will look great in the weight-room. Look great blocking air in OTAs. But once you put a live player on him in practice he shows some cracks. Then in a real NFL game he gets overmatched.

    What I took from Sparano's presser isn't that Vlad is still in the hunt. I expect them to say that. I thought the most telling then he said was when he was talking about players looking different in games than they do in practice. He said he talked to the team about that. THAT is where Vlad struggles.
    At RT I agree. Because that's the only position I've seen him play in the NFL and predictably so he struggled. That's because he doesn't have the technique or experience to do it at the highest level. However, when he stepped in at RG for Moore a few snaps I thought he played well.

    Unfortunately I think Hard Knocks gave Vlad an unfair reputation since he was a rookie and having a lot of trouble playing Tackle against NFL talent. Last year I thought he played well when he came in. Apparently he's gotten even better this offseason which isn't surprising.

    I don't want people to think I'm some Ducasse fanatic, I'm not. I like Slauson. I think he's been great for the Jets. I'm just saying I don't think Ducasse is a waste, I don't think the book has been written on him, and I think his potential is starting to show on the field which lines up with his development timetable. It's aggravating when we as fans don't give these guys time to develop. I mean the consensus right now is that there isn't a real competition and it's all a lie because Vlad will never be good enough to challenge anyone for anything. That's ridiculous.

    Look at Maybin, you think Buffalo fans aren't pissed about releasing him now? He instantly went to a new system that used his strengths and all the sudden his potential is showing through. I think the position coaches we have on offense right now, defense too for that matter, have improved drastically and they are teaching these guys the right way.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    i don't see the big deal here.

    Slauson was the starter last year, and for the most part, he was our most consistent player on OL. there's no reason for Slauson to lose his job unless he wasn't fully recovered from surgery.

    that being said, it would be very good news if Vlad has improved to the point where he can be considered a viable starter should Slauson or Moore get hurt, or if someone else gets hurt and Slauson has to be moved to another spot.
    End of story.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    It's not a reputation it's what they produce. History is generally a good indicator if you would take USC, over Deleware....... well let's just leave it there.
    That's exactly what a reputation is actually.

    And you said almost all the time. I said, well yeah, USC almost always produces better QBs than say a FSC school like Delaware. Almost every time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us