Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NY Post- Per Rex Slauson beat out Vlad for starting OG spot-

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Which part? The disappointing season or Tanny and Rex getting fired?
    Tanny and Rex will not be fired, team is still a work in progress and I can not expect a SB win. I think they will be 8-8 this year, and if Sanchez aside from the fault of others ie. poor WR,OL play goes in the tank we are screwed. He can not be the reason in any manner for a record less than 8-8, or I too will have my doubts about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    2 years ago, he was drafted to be a starting RT. We have the worst RT in the league and he cant get that job.

So they tried him at LG and he cannot beat out a 6th round draft pick in Slausen.

The Vlad experiment is over. Hes a bust. Hr should not be on this roster come 2013. Cut bait and move on.
    But hey, Vlad hasn't made the Pro Bowl ... yet!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    Yes he was a terrible 2010 pick...hey didn't Victor Cruz play on the same college team as Ducasse?

So the Jets spent a ton of time at UMass scouting Ducasse and and even make a pass a Cruz. That's a joke...just like their scouting.
    Duh, because players develop after their college careers end? If Cruz then was the player that Cruz is today then why did no one draft him?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    after 2012 turns into another disappointing year, tanny and rex will be gone.
    When will you and your moronic trolling be gone?

Seriously, why do you claim to be a fan and why come here? Any moron can whine about everything the way you do.

2 years ago, he was drafted to be a starting RT. We have the worst RT in the league and he cant get that job.

So they tried him at LG and he cannot beat out a 6th round draft pick in Slausen.

The Vlad experiment is over. Hes a bust. Hr should not be on this roster come 2013. Cut bait and move on.
    he's the 4th best guard on the team, can't play backup RT, can't contribute on special teams, can't play backup center. he's a complete waste of a roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Jets Blog---Slauson beats out Ducasse for Jets starting left guard spot

1:18 PM, August 8, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

CORTLAND The Jets competition at left guard is over.

Jets coach Rex Ryan said incumbent Matt Slauson has impressed him during training camp, but he still feels Vlad Ducasse will get playing time during the season.

"I think Vlad will play," Ryan said. "I think he's earned that right. I think he's looked pretty good. But I think right now we'd go with Matt. He's got the experience, but he [also] looks really good to me."

The Jets coaches surprised everyone on the first day of training camp when Slauson and Ducasse were splitting reps at the position with the first-team offense. Ducasse's reps slowly declined, and Slauson has been getting just about every snap with the first team lately.

Ducasse has been a disappointment so far in his career. A second-round pick in 2010, he has played sparingly.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsbl...#ixzz22zH9xDb5
    Considering Slauson looked great last year when everyone around him was injured and/or struggling I have to say not real shocking. I think he should be pro bowl this year. Really feel we have 4 guys that are pro bowl caliber on OL right now. RT is the only spot that is up for grabs and we can live with who ever the best man we have is. That is still better then 31 other teams IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I completely agree with you about Brick. Grossly overrated by fans. Has never been a good run blocker and has had just as many bad years as good year in pass blocking.

There may be some truth to Slauson and Moore being so good that it is going to be impossible for Vlad to start. BUT. I want to see him prove himself to be a worthy backup then. Become the backup to both Guards and a Goaline TE. He is going to get plenty of playing time this pre season to prove himself.
    100% bs.

Your opinion on QBs might be a little skewed, but you've accurately captured Vlad right here. He gets a shot if someone unfortunately goes down, but unless he rips it up then it's time to bring in a new body.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Your opinion on QBs might be a little skewed, but you've accurately captured Vlad right here. He gets a shot if someone unfortunately goes down, but unless he rips it up then it's time to bring in a new body.
    And CRUZ went undrafted. Im sorry but our drafting of these unknowns is ridiculous.

+1. Cant be said better, he was a RT in college and was drafted to be Woody's replacement some day. Hunter was not on the radar at all when Ducasse was drafted and Slauson was Callahan's pick and by all accounts the competition that fans thought was going to happen with Vlad at LG was never the plan. Vlad was drafted to be a RT. Period. They're trying him elsewhere to see if they can salvage anything out of him but the bottom line I have never seen such clumsy and awkward footwork out of such a high draft pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    +1. Cant be said better, he was a RT in college and was drafted to be Woody's replacement some day. Hunter was not on the radar at all when Ducasse was drafted and Slauson was Callahan's pick and by all accounts the competition that fans thought was going to happen with Vlad at LG was never the plan. Vlad was drafted to be a RT. Period. They're trying him elsewhere to see if they can salvage anything out of him but the bottom line I have never seen such clumsy and awkward footwork out of such a high draft pick.
    And wait for the apologists to call you a SOJF. How he was ranked so high is beyond me. WTF is wrong with our front office? I recognize that he was written up and spoken up by Kiper but FUKK Kiper..... Just look at Vlad. he couldnt bake bread.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    And CRUZ went undrafted. Im sorry but our drafting of these unknowns is ridiculous.
    I don't like to kill GMs for missing on guys that the whole NFL missed during the draft. But here you've got a guy that went to UMass, scouted a player from UMass, and somehow missed a 1500 yard receiver from UMass that could have been had for pennies. At what has now become undoubtedly the weakest position on the team he runs.

Until 2010, Trader Mike was arguably the best GM this team has had. But the shine is off until he produces the acquisitions that get this team to that point we've been patiently waiting for. Between Vlad, Plax/Santonio over Braylon/J-Co, Hunter for two years & Tebow, I'm wondering if he's lost his way somewhat.

Love this year's draft on paper though. It's best for the Jets and their fans if it was just a bad 2-year stretch and he's back on track.

whoa... overstatement, much?

i'm no Vlad apologist, far from it. but A LOT of highly-touted OL prospects have failed in their initial attempt to play Tackle, only to be moved inside and go on to enjoy long and successful NFL careers as Guards.

some of those were drafted much higher than Ducasse, Top 5 picks that were viewed as "can't miss" prospects. Leonard Davis and Robert Gallery to name two just off the top of my head.

This post and all the responses just make me think the Jets are going rue this years draft when they passed on DeCastro.

All League
    Ducasse blows

But it should also be noted that the 2010 draft really had a lot of misses after the first half of round 1

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    Ducasse blows

But it should also be noted that the 2010 draft really had a lot of misses after the first half of round 1
    Does he blow as hard as your vaporizer?

wrong-- ducasse was an LT in college, and hunter was on the team already when he was drafted. many also projected ducasse to be an OG in the NFL

Veteran

Wrong. He was drafted to compete with Slauson at LG cos Jets knew Faneca was done and they weren't sure about Slauson's ability.

Slauson beat him out so they next tried VD at RT and that didn't work, so he's back at LG with Slauson.

Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Cruz went undrafted so ALL NFL teams are a joke.

There were scouts from over 20 different teams at the Umass pro day in 2010, so at least 20 teams suck at this as well. Happy?
    Exactly. Some of this SOJF whining is frankly pathetic and more appropriate from pre-pubescent kids.

Slauson has performed better than expected and Ducasse will have his reps too. Its good that Jets are not giving up on him as he has rare athleticism and power. He'll get his chances.

Interestingly, Slauson was one of the winners IIRC in the Jets' player voting comp for the best performers in the off season weightlifting program. This is after his surgery in the offseason. Which means that the guy's motivation, willpower and strength is off the charts.

This is actuallly good for the Jets. A reasonable persoo might assume that Jets fans would be happy with this.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Exactly. Some of this SOJF whining is frankly pathetic and more appropriate from pre-pubescent kids.

Slauson has performed better than expected and Ducasse will have his reps too. Its good that Jets are not giving up on him as he has rare athleticism and power. He'll get his chances.

Interestingly, Slauson was one of the winners IIRC in the Jets' player voting comp for the best performers in the off season weightlifting program. This is after his surgery in the offseason. Which means that the guy's motivation, willpower and strength is off the charts.

This is actuallly good for the Jets. A reasonable persoo might assume that Jets fans would be happy with this.
    We won't know what the final work product is until we see them in action - more so in the regular season. I hope Slauson's hard work translates to the field.