Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70

Thread: Mallett not Performing well in Training Camp

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    24,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Mallett not Performing well in Training Camp

    It's a good thing Brady's going to play for another 5 years.

    CSN New England's Tom Curran nominates QB Ryan Mallett as one of the biggest disappointments in Patriots training camp.

    "Ryan Mallett has an opportunity to lay claim to being the heir apparent to Tom Brady," said Curran, "and he just hasn't done it." Mallett's camp work has drawn mixed reviews. While beat writers have unanimously questioned Mallett's decisiveness and accuracy, ESPN's Adam Schefter was told last week by reliable sources that the 2011 third-rounder has looked "very good."

    Source: CSN New England Aug 8 - 11:56 PM
    Honestly, is this a concern for the Pats? Too soon to worry about it? Patsie-Posters, I'd like to hear your point of view.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,302
    Post Thanks / Like
    #12 isn't going anywhere unfortunately...his development only affects his trade value IMO.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,302
    Post Thanks / Like
    #12 isn't going anywhere unfortunately...his development only affects his trade value IMO.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    24,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't disagree that, barring injury, Brady will be around for a while longer. The question I ask is at what point do the Patriots start cultivating the heir apparent? Is it Mallett? Is this information just Boston doom and gloomers (do they even have those up there)? For real, at what point do Patriot fans start looking to the future? The guy is 35 now.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    according to some tv/radio "experts", pending FA Brian Hoyer is the real deal. they must be experts if they can read a player with 40 career throws. but he'll leave at season's end and get some team to give him a Flynn-like deal.

    Save for that one season, Brady has been one durable SOB.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    24,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    according to some tv/radio "experts", pending FA Brian Hoyer is the real deal. they must be experts if they can read a player with 40 career throws. but he'll leave at season's end and get some team to give him a Flynn-like deal.

    Save for that one season, Brady has been one durable SOB.
    I agree. A lot has to do with the protection packages they have for him.

  7. #7
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,548
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I agree. A lot has to do with the protection packages they have for him.
    I don't know who the hell the Pats OL coach has been over the past few years, but he has to be in the conversation of best in the business.

    Even when starters go down and they have to plug in practice squad guys, Brady still consistently has 4-5 seconds everytime he steps back.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    24,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I don't know who the hell the Pats OL coach has been over the past few years, but he has to be in the conversation of best in the business.

    Even when starters go down and they have to plug in practice squad guys, Brady still consistently has 4-5 seconds everytime he steps back.
    Dante Scarnecchia. I often praise him for exactly that (unfortunately). I would say that if o-line coach could be nominated for the HOF, he should be first ballot.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,588
    Post Thanks / Like
    I seen 3 practices so far this summer.

    The 1st practice on the 29th, which was the 1st day of contact drills. He looked very tentative back there.

    On the 5th he looked more decisive, and was quicker in his check downs.
    But still overshot a couple of ten yard passes.

    In Tuesdays scrimmage against the saints, he looked solid and smooth in 7 on 7s. He only had two or three snaps in the 11 on 11 as Brady and Hoyer took all those snaps except for that one series.

    The kid has the best arm I have seen on the pats, even better than Bledsoe's.

    He is not comfortable in the pocket yet, but as the 3rd string you don't get many snaps. I like the way he hands off to the rb, and his feet look pretty good on his drops.

    The guy is a project and you can see why he did not go in the first (along with rumors of drug use/party animal) He stood local this offseason and worked out with the team so the part thing is put behind him.

    As far as reporters thinking he has been less than anticipated, A couple of thing may cloud thier view, 1st there looking at Brady for 12 years and Bledsoe for 7 years before that. I think they forgot what a kid playing qb is supposed to look like.

    I also think that they, like most patriot fans got excited as he was mentioned as a possible 1st day pick and they are judging him too harshly. I make fun of Jet fans who believe that Sanchez is going to make some sort of jump after starting 3 years and 50 games. And the Patriots have beat reporters that expect mallet to somehow develop overnite into a QB that does not even get 1/5th of the practice snaps.

    Next year Hoyer (who has had a great camp) will be gone as a FA, then mallet will actually get snaps and practice time. then we can expect to see a jump in performance or him seeing the unemployment line.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    24,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I seen 3 practices so far this summer.

    The 1st practice on the 29th, which was the 1st day of contact drills. He looked very tentative back there.

    On the 5th he looked more decisive, and was quicker in his check downs.
    But still overshot a couple of ten yard passes.

    In Tuesdays scrimmage against the saints, he looked solid and smooth in 7 on 7s. He only had two or three snaps in the 11 on 11 as Brady and Hoyer took all those snaps except for that one series.

    The kid has the best arm I have seen on the pats, even better than Bledsoe's.

    He is not comfortable in the pocket yet, but as the 3rd string you don't get many snaps. I like the way he hands off to the rb, and his feet look pretty good on his drops.

    The guy is a project and you can see why he did not go in the first (along with rumors of drug use/party animal) He stood local this offseason and worked out with the team so the part thing is put behind him.

    As far as reporters thinking he has been less than anticipated, A couple of thing may cloud thier view, 1st there looking at Brady for 12 years and Bledsoe for 7 years before that. I think they forgot what a kid playing qb is supposed to look like.

    I also think that they, like most patriot fans got excited as he was mentioned as a possible 1st day pick and they are judging him too harshly. I make fun of Jet fans who believe that Sanchez is going to make some sort of jump after starting 3 years and 50 games. And the Patriots have beat reporters that expect mallet to somehow develop overnite into a QB that does not even get 1/5th of the practice snaps.

    Next year Hoyer (who has had a great camp) will be gone as a FA, then mallet will actually get snaps and practice time. then we can expect to see a jump in performance or him seeing the unemployment line.
    Good post.

    Do you feel like the Pats should start trying to figure this out? Or just wait until Brady hints at retirement?

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,588
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I don't disagree that, barring injury, Brady will be around for a while longer. The question I ask is at what point do the Patriots start cultivating the heir apparent? Is it Mallett? Is this information just Boston doom and gloomers (do they even have those up there)? For real, at what point do Patriot fans start looking to the future? The guy is 35 now.
    If Brady is still playing 5 years from now, It is pretty much guaranteed that it will not be Mallet. I don't see any plausible scenario where Mallet Takes over.

    If he progresses as the team envisioned, 2 years from now he will be a FA and will leave. If he does not progress he will be cut. I don't see him as progressing and be willing to sit on the bench for another two years at B/U money.

    The pats next qb is probably some HS kid IMO.

    As far as doom and gloomers go, they are a couple, but the fans ignore them as BB is thought of so highly that little credence is given to them
    Last edited by patman; 08-09-2012 at 07:09 AM.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,668
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fortunately for Mallett and the Pats, they still have Tom Brady. I don't think they are worried. They can always draft another QB, Mallett doesn't have to be the successor and is Brady plays long enough, he won't be. They have plenty of time b.c Brady isn't going anywhere.

    I think the Pats fans have been joyful this camp with all of the praise Hightower and Jones have been getting.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,588
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Fortunately for Mallett and the Pats, they still have Tom Brady. I don't think they are worried. They can always draft another QB, Mallett doesn't have to be the successor and is Brady plays long enough, he won't be. They have plenty of time b.c Brady isn't going anywhere.

    I think the Pats fans have been joyful this camp with all of the praise Hightower and Jones have been getting.
    They are rookies, we will see how they play when it is for real. Hightower for me seems to be more impressive than Jones so far, but as a fan at TC it is tough to see line play as your sitting about 10 feet above the field and do not get a good view. It is like 10 guys in a swirling mass of confusion.

    What the media sees I don't know if BB lets them see the practice tape, or they just repeat what the team or players have told them.

    Why is it fortunate for Mallet?

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,668
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Why is it fortunate for Mallet?
    Because Brady is still there and IF he isn't ready to be the starter, he doesn't have to be. He can sit and learn from the best.

    Depending on how long Brady plays, there is a chance that his future isn't even with the Pats.

    BTW, the OP makes reference to conflicting reports. So there is a chance that all of this is just misinformation. We are talking about the Pats here. Not exactly the most forthcoming or truthful franchise in sports.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,588
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Because Brady is still there and IF he isn't ready to be the starter, he doesn't have to be. He can sit and learn from the best.

    Depending on how long Brady plays, there is a chance that his future isn't even with the Pats.

    BTW, the OP makes reference to conflicting reports. So there is a chance that all of this is just misinformation. We are talking about the Pats here. Not exactly the most forthcoming or truthful franchise in sports.
    If Brady was hurt, it would be Hoyer starting without a doubt. Not Mallet. Brady does not spend a lot of time with either Hoyer or Mallet, he was asked how much he helped and he said very little, he says he spends his time trying to improve himself and not the other qbs and that it is a coaches job.

    I also said in a earlier post in this thread that there is very little possibility that Mallet is ever the starting qb for the pats sans injury to Brady.

    As far as conflicting reports, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What are you expecting to see? if your expecting to see Brady or even a 2nd year starter, then you are going to be disappointed. If your looking to see the your 2nd year 3rd string qb who was the 7th qb taken in the 3rd rd, your going to be pleased

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    If Brady was hurt, it would be Hoyer starting without a doubt. Not Mallet. Brady does not spend a lot of time with either Hoyer or Mallet, he was asked how much he helped and he said very little, he says he spends his time trying to improve himself and not the other qbs and that it is a coaches job.

    I also said in a earlier post in this thread that there is very little possibility that Mallet is ever the starting qb for the pats sans injury to Brady.

    As far as conflicting reports, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What are you expecting to see? if your expecting to see Brady or even a 2nd year starter, then you are going to be disappointed. If your looking to see the your 2nd year 3rd string qb who was the 7th qb taken in the 3rd rd, your going to be pleased
    It's good to hear how much of a selfish douche Brady is. Makes it easy to root against him vs. guy like Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers or even Eli.

    The Mallet pick was a good one if you are a Jets fan. Keep picking qb's BB who will never see the field, don't worry about your ****ty secondary that has kept you from winning 2 Superbowls....

    The Pats have about 2-3 year window before Brady starts to break down.
    After that time the Pats will be back down to earth with the rest of teams in the league without a top 5 qb.

    can't wait...

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,312
    Post Thanks / Like
    where is #12 going to go, with the exception of the giants D, pretty much no team touches Brady. brady has 6-7 more good yrs. hes going to continue playing, and tghe pats are going to continue locking up afc east champs

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    6,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    IDK. We have Mayhem, Sapp, Coples and Wilk. The Bills have Mario, and Mark Anderson. The Fish have Wake. For an immobile, aging QB like Brady. He cannot be happy about the improved pass rush in the division. Yes their line coach is good, and they have great protection packages, where the hold onto the DL for dear life, and are protected by the officials, but he's going to get hit a lot more this year, and into the future. It may put a damper on his 5 year plan.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brady has 2 MAYBE 3 years left,of god-play juice ... Then we can enjoy the slow slide to oblivion that age brings everyone. Will he play till 41 ? Probably. But not even close to his current level. See Warren Moon, Joe Montana for examples.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    where is #12 going to go, with the exception of the giants D, pretty much no team touches Brady. brady has 6-7 more good yrs. hes going to continue playing, and tghe pats are going to continue locking up afc east champs
    I don't know about that, the body breaks down, reaction time, mobility, arm strength all diminish and recovering from hits and injuries takes a lot longer as we age. He feels great now, but a lot guys feel great in their mid 30's only to start getting injured. I expect him to play for 6-7 years, but only be a top 5 qb for the next 3. I think that's a far more realistic scenario. Look at fighters, they age over night, same thing here.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us