Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Clayton - Reflecting on training camp travels

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Is there some reason why Clayton had to actually be at camp to come up with these brilliant observations? Did he happen to mention anything about what he saw at camp and, compare that to other camps he visited?

The Jets were already good in the red zone.

Tebow looks too big running topless in the rain.

I'm sure Clayton dissected that game film intensively, but he didn't need to visit camp for that.
    Clayton was just pissed he couldn't spend all his time at Seahawks camp

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    the whole NFL knew all Tebow's plays last season and he still ran for 5.4 per carry. The year before, 5.3 ypc
    yes agreed, I dont understand Clayton's point about hiding stuff.

But Tebow did not run the ball very well late in the season. Like i always say, you have to watch the game. He will break a 17 yd run. then get stuffed twice and forced to throw on 3 and 8. Sure he averaged 6 yrds but was the drive effective?

For all the crap Sanchez took for last year's performance, he was one of the best (actually the best IIRC) QB's in the red zone. So now somehow the plan is to take him out and put in the guy who was statistically the worst QB in the league in the RZ in both passing and scoring. Honestly if that's the idea Rex and Tanny have in mind then I agree they should be ****canned immediately, any I've probably been their biggest supporter.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Is there some reason why Clayton had to actually be at camp to come up with these brilliant observations? Did he happen to mention anything about what he saw at camp and, compare that to other camps he visited?

The Jets were already good in the red zone.

Tebow looks too big running topless in the rain.

I'm sure Clayton dissected that game film intensively, but he didn't need to visit camp for that.
    ok - I guffawed.

Listen...Tebow has already fulfilled the purpose he was brought in for...drum up interest in the New York Jets....anything else is secondary.....

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Reflecting on training camp travels

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp1...g-camp-travels

Who came up with the idea of making Tebow bigger? When Tebow took off his jersey during that rainy Saturday in Cortland, N.Y., you should have seen the reaction in Broncos camp. Broncos officials couldn't believe the Jets allowed Tebow to bulk up so much. He looked more like a fullback than a quarterback. "Name me a quarterback who is encouraged to get that big," a Broncos official said. "He came out of college weighing around 230 pounds." It's fine for the 6-foot-5 quarterbacks to weigh 250 pounds or more, but Tebow is little under 6-3. How can 15 extra pounds help his throwing?

I shortened it to just the Jets points.
    First off, Tebow getting bigger is great since he is not truly a QB anyway and is more of a Wildcat package/gimmick player on this team. He can't throw well and will never throw well, so its smart for him to emphasize his strength which is....strength.

Second, i love old school reporters that laugh at guys getting bigger and stronger. I remember back in the day (80's) when people would say that you can't have muscles and hit a baseball or play golf. Granted, there is a point where if you get too bulky it can inhibit flexibility but I don't think that is Tebow's problem, i think his lack of talent is the only thing inhibiting his throwing accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    are the Jets really going to put Tebow in for Sanchez in the redzone? I think that's a little bit of a smokescreen that EVERY media outlet believes is written in stone. I think Tebow is going to be more of a short yardage, so if the Jets are inside the 2, then maybe Tebow gets the call. Sparano is going to see the flow of the game to where Tebow gets snaps.

But to everyone who thinks Tebow is going to be the redzone QB, you are wrong. looking in your direction expert John Clayton and most every other writer/analyst out there.

Do they really think the Jets are going to tell everyone how they are going to use Tebow and be 100% honest with everything?

As for Tebow getting bigger: hey Broncos, suck it. Maybe the Jets plan on being more creative and use his skills better than you did. worry about your own QB, the one who hasn't played in a year and a half and is coming off 4 neck surgeries.
    agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    All of this is debatable. I don't think we can dismiss any criticisms b.c right now I don't even think the Jets are sure that this is going to work out or how they are going to handle it.

I wonder if the Broncos official he is referring to is John Elway. I think he might know what he is talking about.
    You wont be saying that if Manning cant stay healthy

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    For all the crap Sanchez took for last year's performance, he was one of the best (actually the best IIRC) QB's in the red zone. So now somehow the plan is to take him out and put in the guy who was statistically the worst QB in the league in the RZ in both passing and scoring. Honestly if that's the idea Rex and Tanny have in mind then I agree they should be ****canned immediately, any I've probably been their biggest supporter.
    1- Sanchez was great in the red zone when he had plaxico. Plax is gone so it may not be as easy for him to just toss it up for a n easy TD.

2- Stop being so gullible and listening to the media and believing everything they say. No one is saying that they are going to pull Sanchez out once the team crosses their opponents 20. If its 3rd and 10 from the 15, Sanchez will be in the game 10times out of 10. But why not use Tebow on the goal line here and there. He has proven to be dynamic from in close.

3- The fact that you have Tebow on your team forces other teams to game plan for him. And if teams think the Jets will use him 15 times a game they have to devout X amount of time planning for him. Teams have limited time to practice and forcing them to plan for Tebow will only help Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    IMO, Tebow will be a short yardage option, not red zone, like when we get down inside the 5 and on a big 3rd and short or a 4th and short, plus he'll come in for a series of plays as a change of pace.