Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parcells buys into Tebow

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Parcells buys into Tebow

Even the Tuna has Tebowmania.

Collared at the Hall of Fame ceremonies Saturday night by the New York Post, former Giants, Patriots and Jets head coach Bill Parcells called Tim Tebow "a pretty good acquisition," and then offered the Jets advice they probably don't need:

Figure out what Tebow does best and devote a chunk of the playbook to it.

Throwing downfield, of course, isn't what Tebow does best.

So what, Parcells said.

"You sound like one of the coaches I used to have telling me what the guy can't do. I don't want to hear it. Tell me what the guy does well and let's create something that allows him to flourish," Parcells said.

"I had a receiver coach one time (who said), 'This guy can't run the delay. This guy can't run a crosser.' Well, let's not run him on a delay, or let's not run him on a crosser. Let's run him on what he can run 'cause he's fast and he can catch the ball. ... If I had Tim Tebow, that's what I would do. I would try to do what he does, which I believe I know what he does."

And what's that?

"Well, he runs that ride-and-decide, he can do that well," Parcells said. "And then, a little play-action off that, keep it simple."

But have the Jets created a quarterback-in-waiting controversy that will have Mark Sanchez looking over his shoulder and fans calling for the NFL's most popular backup QB -- after every incompletion?

"Listen, you saw that last year with Denver, I saw it, everybody saw it and ... the result was pretty good when he got in there," Parcells said. "Now, why is he a Jet? I don't know why. But quite apparently, they think they can use this guy ... for something. So, I'm pretty sure they didn't bring him in there to watch, so he's gonna play.

"Now everybody's in a frenzy: The media dwells mostly on negativity. They want to know how it's gonna affect Sanchez. Well, I don't think it's gonna affect him at all if it's within the structure of the things that Tebow can do well. If they just let him do that, then that's smart."

Parcells, asked about Phil Simms' contention that Giants QB Eli Manning and head coach Tom Coughlin have already earned their ticket to Canton, agreed. Kind of.

"They're certainly going to warrant consideration," he said.

And Simms, your Super Bowl-winning quarterback, is he a Hall of Famer, too, Bill?

"That's like asking Colonel Sanders if he likes chicken," Parcells said.

See photos of: Tim Tebow, Bill Parcells

Always an extra blocker when Tebow carries the ball. If Brad Smith averaged over 5 yds a carry, Tebow can average 7

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Always an extra blocker when Tebow carries the ball. If Brad Smith averaged over 5 yds a carry, Tebow can average 7
    He'll average 6.66

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    He'll average 6.66
    now that, sir, is funny!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    That's what I say. How will it hurt Mark to lose 10 to 15 handoffs. If Tebow throws it will be an option because someone is wide open. I don't think Tebow ever comes in where we are expecting to pass in that spot. It's just getting Mark off the field for an extra blocker, and giving the ball to the best option FB in the game. The media is distracted by glitter. The Jets aren't. It takes the pressure off the team, the same way it does the Giants. I don't get it. The cameras, are there for Tebow, not the Jets. If anything the cameras, and the crowds are incentive for the players to practice harder. I sure didn't see it distracting practice. I didn't see a circus atmosphere. You'll notice the fighting started once the cameras were gone. These ex players think about how annoyed they would be in Mark's place, and they project that onto the team. The Jets are different then their teams were, and besides that a lot of players are annoyed by things the coaches do all the time. Tell them to deal with it. You can see it when they ask Woody. He doesn't think it will be a distraction. I do wish we had him back. I think the Jets need to stop explaining/apologizing for Tebow, and tell the media we have a plan and it's none of your business how we're going to handle it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tuna is definitely Rex's "sensei." it's either Tuna or Coslet.

Speaking of Coslet and off-topic, this is from Wikipedia on Coslet in Dallas in 2002. Good stuff:

After a year off, Coslet was hired by Cowboys head coach Dave Campo to serve as his offensive coordinator. Coslet's unit ranked near the bottom of the league in both points scored and total yards. Under Coslet, Emmitt Smith saw his streak of 1,000 yard seasons broken at eleven despite his setting of the NFL's all time rushing yardage record. Smith also only managed five rushing touchdowns, two off his career low. Neither of his starting quarterbacks, Chad Hutchinson or Quincy Carter, were effective either. After a 5-11 finish, the third straight under Campo, Bill Parcells was hired as head coach and Coslet was not retained. He has not held a coaching position since.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard the Tebow train Mr Parcells. Its good to have you aboard.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He'll average 6.66
    How would all the Tebow apostles explain that?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Parcells bought into Scott Secules too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's exactly the point... Tebow is just going to do what Brad Smith did, albeit with more of a throwing element. Because Tebow can actually throw the ball.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always liked Parcells, thanks for the positive words, coach

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I always liked Parcells, thanks for the positive words, coach
    Yeah, it was great the way he quit on us.........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He'll average 6.66
    I was think more like 16.9

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    poke, poke, poke......

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    lol!

errrr

I'm watching you

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Yeah, how dare he have an opinion contrary to yours. Can't listen to quitters. That would be immoral.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    ....... AFTER turning the Jets into an ACTUAL franchise.

By the way, he left the Jets in what he THOUGHT were capable hands.... Belicheats. He's the scumbag that took $1 million to be the head coach.... then QUIT. You and every other Jet fan should direct your animosity at Belicheat....... not kiss his ass. I, for one, have nothing but appreciation for what Parcells did, while he was with the Jets.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Yeah, how dare he have an opinion contrary to yours. Can't listen to quitters. That would be immoral.
    Quitters are Winners somewhere else.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always entertaining listening to Parcells...

not many people handle media as good as he does.... that is why he is not in Canton..... they hate him... lol

His points on Tebow are dead on.... Again, he is control freak... so it is easier for him to envision how things can work...

All comes down to winning.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    One point I keep missing.......why is Tebow taking 12-15 snaps a game away from a QB who had 28 turnovers last year a bad thing?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can't have everything...at least he didn't pile on like everyone else...