Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Hard Knocks Gets A Little Too In-Depth

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Hard Knocks Gets A Little Too In-Depth

    http://m.deadspin.com/5932923/?utm_c...ium=socialflow

    Last Night On Hard Knocks, We Learned What NFL GMs Use As Their Version Of Facebook (And Got Ryan Tannehill's Cell Number)

    By Jack Dickey, Aug 8, 2012 12:50 PM
    SHARE

    HBO's Hard Knocks has to maintain a balance between access and secrecy. The fans get to spend a few hours with the players and coaches in unusual settings; the coaches go along with the cameras but still get to obscure their plays and play calls from the public. Everybody wins all the time. Well, almost all the time.

    Every so often we see a shot like this one, of general manager Jeff Ireland's computer, about halfway through last night's episode, where the NFL lets on more than it wants to. This is the public's first glimpse of the Player Enterprise Management System software, which appears to be a league-wide player management interface. (It could be Dolphins-specific, although all those logos at the top make us think it isn't.)

    We see the information that makes the top of every player page—height, weight, speed, Wonderlic, arm length—and then we see how his general manager can mark him. He can be "available," or a "cap casualty," or a "key [free agent]." We also see other sections in the system: "playtime," "penalties," "injuries," and more. Those with access can gather lots of data. No surprise there. The one surprise? Tannehill's cell phone number is in there. Oops. [HBO]


    I think every year more and more teams will be declining the show because of stuff like this. I'm sure HBO demands a certain level of access at the facilities, but does not seem to be too cautious with their editing.

    Looks like Tannehill already had to change his number. I won't post the number, but look to the bottom left of the screen shot. HBO censored his agents phone number, I guess they overlooked the actual player

    Here is the link to just the photo
    http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/11/...nocksphone.jpg

  2. #2
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by player1322 View Post
    http://m.deadspin.com/5932923/?utm_c...ium=socialflow

    Last Night On Hard Knocks, We Learned What NFL GMs Use As Their Version Of Facebook (And Got Ryan Tannehill's Cell Number)

    By Jack Dickey, Aug 8, 2012 12:50 PM
    SHARE

    HBO's Hard Knocks has to maintain a balance between access and secrecy. The fans get to spend a few hours with the players and coaches in unusual settings; the coaches go along with the cameras but still get to obscure their plays and play calls from the public. Everybody wins all the time. Well, almost all the time.

    Every so often we see a shot like this one, of general manager Jeff Ireland's computer, about halfway through last night's episode, where the NFL lets on more than it wants to. This is the public's first glimpse of the Player Enterprise Management System software, which appears to be a league-wide player management interface. (It could be Dolphins-specific, although all those logos at the top make us think it isn't.)

    We see the information that makes the top of every player page—height, weight, speed, Wonderlic, arm length—and then we see how his general manager can mark him. He can be "available," or a "cap casualty," or a "key [free agent]." We also see other sections in the system: "playtime," "penalties," "injuries," and more. Those with access can gather lots of data. No surprise there. The one surprise? Tannehill's cell phone number is in there. Oops. [HBO]


    I think every year more and more teams will be declining the show because of stuff like this. I'm sure HBO demands a certain level of access at the facilities, but does not seem to be too cautious with their editing.

    Looks like Tannehill already had to change his number. I won't post the number, but look to the bottom left of the screen shot. HBO censored his agents phone number, I guess they overlooked the actual player

    Here is the link to just the photo
    http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/11/...nocksphone.jpg
    I believe that the dolphins org gets to review the tape before it is aired. Something similar happened to the Jets a few years back.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,377
    Post Thanks / Like
    Internet Explorer and Outlook?

    No wonder that team licks taint.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NPTJET53 View Post
    I believe that the dolphins org gets to review the tape before it is aired. Something similar happened to the Jets a few years back.
    OK, that make sense. I would think someone would be looking real hard at a shot of this (I would think) pretty security sensitive program they use. I've never heard of this PEM program that looks like it might be used by all the teams.

  5. #5
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,958
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Internet Explorer and Outlook?
    WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON OUT THERE!!!!???!!!1


    Yours,

    Coach Lombardi

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,838
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's probably to the season ticket line

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,254
    Post Thanks / Like
    so we get to see the computer system/interface that all NFL teams use....who cares? I don't understand the big deal. It's not like a draft board or anything. If all the teams have it, then it's not like a secret dolphin advantage.

    I can't wait for the season to start.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    LI NY
    Posts
    5,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Internet Explorer and Outlook?

    No wonder that team licks taint.
    And on XP.

  9. #9
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arlington, TX.
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    so we get to see the computer system/interface that all NFL teams use....who cares? I don't understand the big deal. It's not like a draft board or anything. If all the teams have it, then it's not like a secret dolphin advantage.

    I can't wait for the season to start.
    The article specifically calls out that Tannehill's cell phone number is listed. That's the "big deal". If that's really his cell#, I'd be pissed if I were him.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about the show which bears my name, and it causes quite a paradox. Its something every NFL fan enjoys to watch, yet there are just so many reasons why a team wouldn't want to do it. There is a simple solution.

    Why doesn't the NFL and its affiliate NFL films produce a similar show for the NFL network and require each team in the league to do it. That would mean each team would be inconvenienced just once every 32 years. That's hardly a burden, and would allow the fans to get that inside looked every year, without the drama of begging a team to be the one to bite the bullet.

    Having it done by NFL films instead of HBO would mean that you'd have an entity that is more familiar with the game, and probably more sensitive to what should and shouldn't be shown.

    I mean how can the teams say no, when it only happens once every 32 years.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,716
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could have lived without the nose hair trimming scene.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    so we get to see the computer system/interface that all NFL teams use....who cares? I don't understand the big deal. It's not like a draft board or anything. If all the teams have it, then it's not like a secret dolphin advantage.

    I can't wait for the season to start.
    It's an article and discussion about a TV show, this isnt relating to anything on field, it's a TV show - get over yourself. And the "big deal" isn't seeing a teams computer screen that shows a players personal phone number. A lot or people watch the show, some might find this interesting. Never once claimed that this has some significance to actual game play. If all you want to see is game say threads, maybe wait and look at threads when the season starts? Or at the very least, stop reading thread that are not on thr field related

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets HK marathon on NFL net right now

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Jets HK marathon on NFL net right now
    I understand why it's not for everyone, but I really enjoy Hard Knocks. Most of us spend so much more time than the average or
    casual football fan discussing every aspect of the league and team, I really enjoy information and visuals HBO presents.

    I personally have never an opportunity to see The Jets players or
    the organization from a "behind the scene" perspective. I've only seen whats on TV and at the games. So I really enjoy reporting that shows me aspects of the of the organization I have not seen before.

    So on Hard Knocks, I'm really interested to be able to watch clips of staff meetings, discussions of player evaluation and deciding who to cut. The way players interact with each other, how coaches address the team. Even the daily life of training camp, i.e. the Jets "dorms" compared to the beautiful hotel the dolphins stay at.

    That kind of stuff just fascinates me. I guess I'm a football nerd, I m okay with that. At the same time I understand why others don't give a sh*t.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,254
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by player1322 View Post
    It's an article and discussion about a TV show, this isnt relating to anything on field, it's a TV show - get over yourself. And the "big deal" isn't seeing a teams computer screen that shows a players personal phone number. A lot or people watch the show, some might find this interesting. Never once claimed that this has some significance to actual game play. If all you want to see is game say threads, maybe wait and look at threads when the season starts? Or at the very least, stop reading thread that are not on thr field related
    Get over myself??? Ok.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,254
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I get it. You started this thread and thought that I was saying "why would you start a thread on this" when in fact I was thinking "why would they report on this"

    I'm glad we got that cleared up. Now we don't have to fight.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us