Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slauson Took a Pay Cut Last Week

All League
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4541601]Seems like a win-win. He takes a bit of a cut in exchange for some guarantees and security.
    QUOTE]

Vlad is all the security he needs.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That's what doesn't make sense.

Why redo a contract for a measley $300K?

What did the Jets FO gain by doing this?
    I don't know. Seems strange for such a small amount. Maybe they are trying to add someone and are a little shy.

Hopefully there will be an explanation on nyjetscap.com for this.

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... there is nobody better than MT at managing the cap ...

... sad that with the cap it is necessary to make moves like this ... but it is what is needed to stay competitive ...

l_j_r
    Technically, Ari Nissim manages the cap now..Obviously he reports into Tanny

http://www.newyorkjets.com/ms/media-...t_staff-4.html

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That's what doesn't make sense.

Why redo a contract for a measley $300K?

What did the Jets FO gain by doing this?
    That's my point. It's not like, "OK great!! Now they can go that extra WR or Right Tackle they've been needing." It's forcing a guy to take a 25% paycut, when the fact is even if he was a decent backup, 1.3 million for a servicable backup guard is not money poorly spent.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I don't know. Seems strange for such a small amount. Maybe they are trying to add someone and are a little shy.
    Maybe the $300K will go to Hunter's signing bonus.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Technically, Ari Nissim manages the cap now..Obviously he reports into Tanny

http://www.newyorkjets.com/ms/media-...t_staff-4.html
    LOL.

So what exactly is Tanny's job? Rex is running the draft. Ari Gold is running the cap.

What does Tanny do, make coffee?

Maybe the Jets realized that agents hate Tanny so now they send this guy to negotiate.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-09-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HardKnocks View Post
    Its seems strange that a team that has a reputation for just giving the money away would choose to squeeze their starting LG for less than $300K. What kind of message is that to the rest of the locker room? Sometimes I just can't understand this organization.
    I have to agree here. What if slauson comes back from his injury and has a strong season....we are going to wind up paying more then that $300K or potentially losing him just on principle.

Does $300K even do anything for the team?

I personally think we should have done nothing, and if the shoulder was holding resign him mid season....cant have enough low cost players.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    That's my point. It's not like, "OK great!! Now they can go that extra WR or Right Tackle they've been needing." It's forcing a guy to take a 25% paycut, when the fact is even if he was a decent backup, 1.3 million for a servicable backup guard is not money poorly spent.
    It could be part of other moves to come.

Teams do stuff like this all the time. I have no issue with the money aspect or even the tactic of a perceived competition to pressure him. It's a business.

My problem is we drafted a prospect in the 2nd round who played RT his whole career to be the successor to Damien Woody. The excuses for his horrible failures last year was that he didn't have time to train and work due to the lockout. So what do we do with him this year? Instead of giving him every possible rep at RT, mind you the position where we currently employ possibly the worst starter in the league, we throw him over at LG to give off a perceived competition to get a guy to take a $300k paycut. LG is significantly different than RT, so giving Vlad reps there pretty much dismisses the possibility that he'll go back to RT at all.

I am a pretty big supporter of Tanny, but these moves of late have been mind boggling.

LOL.

So what exactly is Tanny's job? Rex is running the draft. Ari Gold is running the cap.

What does Tanny do, make coffee?

Maybe the Jets realized that agents hate Tanny so now they send this guy to negotiate.
    http://www.newyorkjets.com/ms/media-.../html/244.html

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Where did you get that from?
    i thought i remembered hunter signing a multi year deal. i guess it was last offseason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Hunter

On March 23, 2010, Hunter signed a 1 year tender with the Jets worth about $1.2 million.[1] Hunter came to an agreement on a four year $15 million contract extension on July 26, 2011 with the team, replacing Damien Woody.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Yes. The 300 thousand dollars saves almost .3% on the total team payroll. But it forces a starter to swallow crap and like it, the year before he goes free agent.
    Well... it's highly unlikely the Jets were just going to release Slauson if he didn't take the deal, I imagine Slauson's agent were part of the conversation and decided (perhaps because of the injury to Slauson) this was the best course of action.

Slauson's agent could have just as easily rejected the offer to guarantee his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Where did you get that from?
    A Look Back at the Jets 2011 Contracts

Wayne Hunter and Eric Smith
    I lumped these two together because neither is a large contract, but both are good illustrations of smart ways to lock up players that could become big contributors. It is a similar strategy that the Jets used with Sione Pouha and Mike DeVito a few years back, by locking them up at low costs and low penalties for cutting them. Neither Hunter nor Smith received a signing bonus on their deals making the total values of the deal essentially meaningless. The Jets guaranteed the first two years of the Hunter contract indicating that they have every intention of making him the starting right tackle for the near future and was likely necessary to keep him from signing elsewhere. So this is a 2 year $5 million deal, a bargain if he ends up being a starter these next two years, which helps offset the higher cost of the left tackle and center. If he plays well enough he could earn the final two years of the contract, which average $3.5 million a season, which are a bargain if he really nails down that starter position, but most likely the Jets will be in the market for a new right tackle in 2013 via the draft.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/jetscontracts2011.php

Why Keep RT Wayne Hunter?

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/hunterguar.php

You geniuses ever think that Slauson and his agent went to Tanny and asked for the last year to be guaranteed in exchange for taking a pay cut?

Hall Of Fame
    Spokesman?

Seriously. This reminds me of the scene from "Office Space" when The Bobs ask Tom Smykowski, "What would you say you do here"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SoWNMNKNeM

Spokesman?

Seriously. This reminds me of the scene from "Office Space" when The Bobs ask Tom Smykowski, "What would you say you do here"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SoWNMNKNeM
    You looking at a situation negatively-shocking!

Cimini: Slauson wins job, takes pay cut

On Wednesday, Rex Ryan declared the left-guard competition over, saying Slauson is his guy. Ending a competition before the first game? That indicates it never was a competition; it was to gain leverage in a negotiation.

Explaining his decision, Ryan made sure to mention that Ducasse "will play" at left guard during the season. That ain't happening unless Slauson gets hurt. The Jets are trying to give the impression that Ducasse still has value to them. Why? There's already scuttlebutt in the league that they could try to trade him, trying to recoup something -- anything -- for the second-round pick they wasted. Good luck.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    You geniuses ever think that Slauson and his agent went to Tanny and asked for the last year to be guaranteed in exchange for taking a pay cut?
    That would be the least competitive thing possible. Slauson is a professional athlete, the top .1% of people in his profession. I doubt that he suddenly started doubting himself, especially with "Big Vlad" breathing down his nec.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    You looking at a situation negatively-shocking!
    So, am I to take that as that you don't know either?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    That would be the least competitive thing possible. Slauson is a professional athlete, the top .1% of people in his profession. I doubt that he suddenly started doubting himself, especially with "Big Vlad" breathing down his nec.
    When you're coming off surgery and on the last year of your contract and the Jets have already cut people that were injured I'd say that it's not all that unlikely of a scenario considering he could have been cut and made nothing if he got hurt in camp.