Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Slauson Took a Pay Cut Last Week

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    So, am I to take that as that you don't know either?

He's the GM..All football matters are under his watch and he has final say..All the major players, HC, Pro Personnel guy, college personnel guy, contracts/cap, scouts etc all report up to Mike T...

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    When you're coming off surgery and on the last year of your contract and the Jets have already cut people that were injured I'd say that it's not all that unlikely of a scenario considering he could have been cut and made nothing if he got hurt in camp.
    As far as the injury risk, yes then i can see that.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Seems like a win-win. He takes a bit of a cut in exchange for some guarantees and security.

I do agree with you guys. The "competition" was a complete farce.

I also agree. He should be getting an extension. Maybe they want to see how the shoulder holds up first. Make sense. But I think if he finishes the season healthy there is going to be a market for him. Good player who is still improving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Obviously, Slausen does not understand leverage. He has Ducasse behind him. He should have demanded a raise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Well... it's highly unlikely the Jets were just going to release Slauson if he didn't take the deal, I imagine Slauson's agent were part of the conversation and decided (perhaps because of the injury to Slauson) this was the best course of action.

Slauson's agent could have just as easily rejected the offer to guarantee his contract.
    I agree, it's a win-win. Yes, I also agree Slauson is not getting cut so he does have some leverage however given his injury history, I also agree it is the safe option for Matt.

In my crappy memory ... players who agree to take a paycut with the Jets usually play only one more year and are generally not resigned.
    IMO the Jets FO are not as in love with Slauson's talent as the fans are.
    Matt Slauson is serviceable but I expect the FO to look to upgrade that position from within or without next year.
    If they do resign him next year, it will be after he has explored the free agent market and for small money.

300K while peanuts in salary cap terms can be used to help offset other costs.

All Pro
    You geniuses ever think that Slauson and his agent went to Tanny and asked for the last year to be guaranteed in exchange for taking a pay cut?
    No, because it's incredibly stupid. There is no viable replacement behind him, competition decided before the first pre-season game or not, why give up 300K when there is no axe falling, almost no chance of it. if he gets hurt, he gets put on IR and paid his full salary anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    No, because it's incredibly stupid. There is no viable replacement behind him, competition decided before the first pre-season game or not, why give up 300K when there is no axe falling, almost no chance of it. if he gets hurt, he gets put on IR and paid his full salary anyway.
    Not unless it's after the first game of the season when his salary would then be guaranteed. If you get cut before the season starts you get nothing. No IR, especially when he's in the last year of his contract.

He probably wanted to eliminate the risk of training camp/preseason injury and it cost him 300K to ensure he'd make a cool million in the event he re-injured the shoulder or tore up his knee.

Come on Tanny, let's get Slauson one of them fancy band-aid contracts next year. We can probably get him for free the final 2 years

Again, not one person seems to care that we took away reps from our former 2nd round draft pick at RT to play a 300k game of getting Slauson to take a pay cut?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Again, not one person seems to care that we took away reps from our former 2nd round draft pick at RT to play a 300k game of getting Slauson to take a pay cut?
    ==============================================

To be quite honest that does not bother me at all. I am happy that Vlad was able to provide at least some value.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post

To be quite honest that does not bother me at all. I am happy that Vlad was able to provide at least some value.
    Really? Because last year the company line was Vlad suffered greatly due to the lockout. He was drafted as a RT, he's built like a RT, he needs reps at RT because our current RT is the worst in the friggin league.

Really? Because last year the company line was Vlad suffered greatly due to the lockout. He was drafted as a RT, he's built like a RT, he needs reps at RT because our current RT is the worst in the friggin league.
    He can't play RT, he's terrible. At least we know he can play some guard if god forbid something happens to Moore or Slauson

After money, what players want most is respect. Cutting 300k off of Slauson's contract gives him neither. He will be long, long gone in free agency.

All Pro

I understand what you are saying, I too hope that Vlad blossoms into a quality O lineman, and although I am not ready to give up on him it seems that he is likely a fail at this point.

I am just glad he was able to provide some value other then as TE.

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
    After money, what players want most is respect. Cutting 300k off of Slauson's contract gives him neither. He will be long, long gone in free agency.
    If Slauson can get more than that in FA then good for him. I have a feeling he'll be easily replaced

Not unless it's after the first game of the season when his salary would then be guaranteed. If you get cut before the season starts you get nothing. No IR, especially when he's in the last year of his contract.

He probably wanted to eliminate the risk of training camp/preseason injury and it cost him 300K to ensure he'd make a cool million in the event he re-injured the shoulder or tore up his knee.
    Losing 300k to guarantee 1million just to insure against the risk of getting injured in preseason is stupid. I am sure purchasing insurance against the possibility of a major injury would cost a lot less. While risk of injury was probably in the back of his head, i am sure the threat of Ducasse taking his job was a motivating factor. I will also give Slausson the benefit of the doubt and say that he was doing his part in helping the team have some extra cap space.

Veteran
    You make complete sense but it appears with a new system the Jets hierarchy have faith that Hunter will be serviceable/adequate this year despite being diabolical last year.

First of all, I am guessing here like every other fan, but it appears to me the Jets FO have decided that Vlad will never make a right tackle. They are hoping that at guard he is less of a liability. As was quoted by Tony on the scout forum earlier in the year ; Callaghan loved Vlad Ducasse as a draft prospect but hated him not long after drafting him.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    That's my point. It's not like, "OK great!! Now they can go that extra WR or Right Tackle they've been needing." It's forcing a guy to take a 25% paycut, when the fact is even if he was a decent backup, 1.3 million for a servicable backup guard is not money poorly spent.
    I don't get where everyone is up in arms about this deal...remember, Slauson is coming off of shoulder surgery..important for an OL.

Yes he gave up $300K, but he got his contract GUARANTEED. If he rips his shoulder apart in preseason for crying out loud, he still collects his $$..which would not be the case if he got re-injured and the Jets cut him out of necessity to get a replacement.

Maybe Slauson and hsi agent felt $1 mill GUARANTEED was worth a possible $1.3 mill coming off injury..and he's gonna get a new contract next yr anyway.

No big deal.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    He can't play RT, he's terrible. At least we know he can play some guard if god forbid something happens to Moore or Slauson
    This is it, right here ...

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

When you're coming off surgery and on the last year of your contract and the Jets have already cut people that were injured I'd say that it's not all that unlikely of a scenario considering he could have been cut and made nothing if he got hurt in camp.
    Nail meet hammer. He could have reinjured the shoulder any time from now until the opener and then been cut. Yeah the Jets really screwed him over. Wow at some of you guys

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Are you serious? He'd get cut if was injured, Jets wouldn't put him on IR and pay his salary, lmao

You geniuses ever think that Slauson and his agent went to Tanny and asked for the last year to be guaranteed in exchange for taking a pay cut?
    No because all Slauson had to do was survive until until the season starts. If he was on the roster after the last cut ALL his contract would have been guaranteed.

Do you really think that Slauson and his agent felt his spot on the roster was in jeopardy? I don't think so.

We make a huge deal about the money that Hunter got when we resigned him, and complain about it because it didn't work out. However at the time he signed, it made perfect sense to lock up the guy you thought was going to be your starting RT for a few years. It was a miss. Every team has them, but at least it made sense.....at the time.

This makes no sense. His roster spot was not in jeopardy. He clearly was going to be the starter. Why then even try squeeze him for less than $300K. That much won't even buy you an UDFA rookie. All it can possibly do is cause ill feelings with the individual player and through him the general locker room.

As it is there has to be a split between those who have gotten the big contracts and the vast majority who are playing at or close to the minimum. This kind of action isn't the kind of thing that will bond the two sides.