Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Slauson Took a Pay Cut Last Week

All Pro
    What is PPE, an earned cash incentive?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423 View Post
    Not much to explain. Its what the Jets do with RFAs and low tier players. They will do it with all their rookies that earn the PPE in the coming years too. There is no guarantee that a Matt Slauson will pick up with another team. His best chance for a contract is to stick with the team that knows him and is willing to give him a job so he accepts a paycut for the best situation. You do this with a few players and next thing you know you save enough money for a minimum level veteran.

It also helps set a precedent. Last year J-Co balked (and he did deserve a pay cut) so they cut him. The Jets are setting a pretty firm line that guys at the end of their deals can meet the team in the middle between minimum and whatever amount they are set to earn and the Jets will guarantee them a roster spot.

Other than for those reasons Im sure this is being done to balance out the cost of cutting Ducasse which seems likely. the Jets owe him a check (410K) when they cut him which all accelerates onto the cap.
    Thanks Jason.

Are you talking about them possibly cutting Ducasse before or after the season? I assume before bc the savings from Slauson is for this year only.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason423 View Post
    Not much to explain. Its what the Jets do with RFAs and low tier players. They will do it with all their rookies that earn the PPE in the coming years too. There is no guarantee that a Matt Slauson will pick up with another team. His best chance for a contract is to stick with the team that knows him and is willing to give him a job so he accepts a paycut for the best situation. You do this with a few players and next thing you know you save enough money for a minimum level veteran.

It also helps set a precedent. Last year J-Co balked (and he did deserve a pay cut) so they cut him. The Jets are setting a pretty firm line that guys at the end of their deals can meet the team in the middle between minimum and whatever amount they are set to earn and the Jets will guarantee them a roster spot.

Other than for those reasons Im sure this is being done to balance out the cost of cutting Ducasse which seems likely. the Jets owe him a check (410K) when they cut him which all accelerates onto the cap.
    You details concur with what I remember the Jets doing with other marginal players in the past. There is a thought that maybe Slauson is not as valuable in Sparano's schemes ? Who knows, he is a marginal player at best who has been an over-achiever but very serviceable for the Jets.

I was surprised at your thoughts that the Jets are possibly preparing to cut Ducasse. Agreed, he has played as hot garbage to this point but it appears to me that he may be approaching serviceable in his role as back up guard.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    So, am I to take that as that you don't know either?

Just stop being so negative!

It upsets the Stepford Wives here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post

I was surprised at your thoughts that the Jets are possibly preparing to cut Ducasse. Agreed, he has played as hot garbage to this point but it appears to me that he may be approaching serviceable in his role as back up guard.
    agreed i doubt ducasse gets cut, they don't really have anyone better.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    agreed i doubt ducasse gets cut, they don't really have anyone better.
    I am very curious to see what he shows at guard in Sparano's offense.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    What is PPE, an earned cash incentive?
    I think it's a playing time/performance escalator.