View Poll Results: Will the Referees lockout be settled before Week 1?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 58.62%
  • No

12 41.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Officials

Replacement Officials

From the sounds of things, it's seeming pretty likely that a good portion of the season is going to be played with replacement officials, which in theory will take away from the quality of the games. Obviously the regular officials don't always do the greatest job, but at least they're the best that the business has to offer right now.

What do you guys think are the chances that the lockout will be resolved before Week 1 of the season?
    Last edited by Jetfan16; 08-09-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Anybody care? lol

No clue. But judging from the HoF game, these replacements are weak. They missed some really obvious calls in the game.

All Pro
    I think they need full time officials. Go ahead and pay them more, but they can't do another full time job, and they have to pass physical, and mental tests each year. I would also fine them for each blown call whether it was overturned or not. They should also be answerable to the league, and not they're own boss. I'm sick of these guys, and they're attitudes. I hate officials having such a big effect on the game, and they need to start calling holding, or change the rules, so they don't call it unless it's blatant. Seems to be so arbitrary, or worse.

Jets Insider VIP
    IMO no better or worse than the 70 year old out of shape part timers known as the Regular NFL officials

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I think they need full time officials. Go ahead and pay them more, but they can't do another full time job, and they have to pass physical, and mental tests each year. I would also fine them for each blown call whether it was overturned or not. They should also be answerable to the league, and not they're own boss. I'm sick of these guys, and they're attitudes. I hate officials having such a big effect on the game, and they need to start calling holding, or change the rules, so they don't call it unless it's blatant. Seems to be so arbitrary, or worse.
    First off for 20 weeks, 1 day per week, there is no way an official is going to work this as a full time job, and fining them for a missed call...Why doesn't the NFL fine players for dropping passes or missing tackles...I think everyone who criticizes an official should go out an officiate a High School game.

My bet is that they couldn't do it.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    This is good for the Raiders.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    Anybody care? lol
    Nope.

The quality has gone downhill significantly for the past couple of years. Too many of these guys are too old and need to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Nope.

The quality has gone downhill significantly for the past couple of years. Too many of these guys are too old and need to be replaced.
    Maybe so, but in theory the NFL officials are the best that there is to offer right now in the world, so why would anybody want lower level officials (so to speak) officiating regular season games?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleed Green View Post
    First off for 20 weeks, 1 day per week, there is no way an official is going to work this as a full time job, and fining them for a missed call...Why doesn't the NFL fine players for dropping passes or missing tackles...I think everyone who criticizes an official should go out an officiate a High School game.

My bet is that they couldn't do it.
    Well that's the problem. They should be practicing 5 days a week, and training in the off season. Pay them 500k per year and fine them for mistakes. So you over pay them knowing that they will lose a bunch of that money, but it would give them incentive to get things right. They shouldn't be playing favorites out there, or punishing players they don't like. Officials shouldn't be holding different players to different standards. I believe this even knowing Revis gets a lot of leeway and would be hurt by this. Also if an official gets too high of a percentage wrong he should be gone automatically. Sorry if it's difficult. nut up or move on. Oh yes btw. Players lose a ton of money for every drop, and every missed tackle they have. The officials should also have to face the media and apologize for screwing up like the players do.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 08-10-2012 at 12:00 AM.

of course it will detract, in a very serious way, from the quality of the games. the main issue is the NFL is trying to move the refs from a defined benefit pension plan to a defined contribution plan, similar to a 401k. it's one issue in the "real world", but in the NFL, where profits have been rising for 20-25 years, they can very much afford to pay the damn refs, and they should.

Have yet to watch a game this pre-season, so I can't comment on the quality of the replacements. There are a lot of petty arguments going on between the NFLRA and the replacements, though, so I would like to see it settled simply because I'm sick of hearing about it.

I say go ahead and pay them, but make it so that they should have to answer questions on any questionable calls they made after the game, similiar to what players and coaches have to do. There should also be performance evaluations, or more of them, to weed out the officials that don't know what they're at and shouldn't be there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Based in the smallish sample of the first quarter of the first four games I watched last night..the teplacements are equal in competence to the regular part timer assistant principals and insurance salesmen and are younger and in better physical condition.

The NFL should just go ahead and do what Reagan did with PATCO and terminate negotiatons..fire the ed hochillis and ron winters and make the replacement guys and gal permanent

Honestly speaking as a lifetime Jets fan I am hoping that the replacements stay for a good part of the season. To me they are calling an even game and I noticed lots of holding calls being made "regardless" of the team or who is the QB such as Brees and Brady and Rodgers. Imo teams like the Pats and Saints and Packers get away with holding because of the star QB's. I know every team does it but it's the teams without the big stars that get nailed way more for it. From what I saw they are doing a fine job! but I do think the reg's will be back unfortunately

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Based in the smallish sample of the first quarter of the first four games I watched last night..the teplacements are equal in competence to the regular part timer assistant principals and insurance salesmen and are younger and in better physical condition.

The NFL should just go ahead and do what Reagan did with PATCO and terminate negotiatons..fire the ed hochillis and ron winters and make the replacement guys and gal permanent

If they do that, they can just hire back the ones they want once they realize they are up the creek. Then demand more control over them. It's amazing how everyone believes they deserve more than they get, and people just go along with it. It's only human nature. I find myself doing it all the time, and have to remind myself that things could be worse, and I do have it pretty well. The grass is always greener don't you know.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Just curious, how the F would anyone here know?

Other than to just take a completely clueless guess.

So what does it prove one way or another to ask?

All Pro
    I voted yes only because these refs can't grasp the concept that you DONT call holding against the Pats O-line. Ol boy Goddell must be ticked off by that.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I voted yes only because these refs can't grasp the concept that you DONT call holding against the Pats O-line. Ol boy Goddell must be ticked off by that.

According to Adam Schefter, word is the lockout probably won't be resolved until at least week 3 of the regular season...