View Poll Results: Will the Referees lockout be settled before Week 1?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 58.62%
  • No

12 41.38%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacement Officials

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    of course it will detract, in a very serious way, from the quality of the games. the main issue is the NFL is trying to move the refs from a defined benefit pension plan to a defined contribution plan, similar to a 401k. it's one issue in the "real world", but in the NFL, where profits have been rising for 20-25 years, they can very much afford to pay the damn refs, and they should.
    It's also that the nfl wants to expand the amount of crews to give a larger pool of refs. The refs don't like this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I voted yes only because these refs can't grasp the concept that you DONT call holding against the Pats O-line. Ol boy Goddell must be ticked off by that.
    I voted yes only because these refs can't grasp the concept that you DONT call interference against Revis. Ol boy Goddell must be ticked off by that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Patriot View Post
    I voted yes only because these refs can't grasp the concept that you DONT call interference against Revis. Ol boy Goddell must be ticked off by that.
    I'd much rather have them call a consistent game. Revis is just like any good pitcher who feels out the strike zone and pushes it to it's limit. Like I said if they were held accountable they would do a much better job. I would give them everything they want, but they should have to train regularly on the field and in the classroom. Pass physicals, and endurance tests. Then they should regularly watch film of themselves, and try to cut down on their mistakes, or risk being cut, or demoted. They should also have to compete each year with new guys trying to win their jobs. Sounds harsh, but I want the best possible officiating, and so should everyone else.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another bad officiating mistake at the end of the Raiders Cowboys game tonight. With about 55 seconds left on 3rd and long, the Oakland qb throws the ball into the ground, while a diving Cowboys player tries to intercept it. The ball clearly hits the ground, but the Cowboys player picks it up and runs it into the endzone as the clock continues to run. This took about 6-7 seconds off the clock, but since the pass was incomplete, the clock should've stopped before then. The officials never realized this and didn't add the lost time back before 4th down. As it turned out it was 4th and a mile and Oakland didn't convert, making it moot, but stuff like this is going to matter somewhere along the way, and cost a team precious seconds during an end of the game rally...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody want to cherrypick the weekly gross errors made by the regular incompetents such as Hochilli...Winter...Coleman...Anderson...all the rest of the part timer school abministrators???

IMO the replacements did an adequate and maybe a better job in their first week.

PATCO the reguar out of shape old geezers with cataracts and lets move on with these new guys. Just the fact that they were not blinded by the flying elvis logos and were actually able to call the first holding penalties in many seasons against the Cheats is a big plus for them

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    Another bad officiating mistake at the end of the Raiders Cowboys game tonight. With about 55 seconds left on 3rd and long, the Oakland qb throws the ball into the ground, while a diving Cowboys player tries to intercept it. The ball clearly hits the ground, but the Cowboys player picks it up and runs it into the endzone as the clock continues to run. This took about 6-7 seconds off the clock, but since the pass was incomplete, the clock should've stopped before then. The officials never realized this and didn't add the lost time back before 4th down. As it turned out it was 4th and a mile and Oakland didn't convert, making it moot, but stuff like this is going to matter somewhere along the way, and cost a team precious seconds during an end of the game rally...
    To give credit where due BTW...heckuva job 16 staying up to watch that thrilling 3-0 preseason barnburner last night

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    To give credit where due BTW...heckuva job 16 staying up to watch that thrilling 3-0 preseason barnburner last night

No problame

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    All it will take is for one these replacement officials to completely blow a call that results in a team getting a win they maybe shouldn't have. If that happens, the fallout will lead to a deal getting done sooner than later.

If it doesn't happen, then maybe the replacements aren't such a bad thing after all.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I lost count of the number of holdings on running plays that were not called in last Friday's game.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the officiating last night was ok. They did blow one call when the Jets defender clearly interfered with the Giants WR in the ez. It should have been 1st. goal for the Giants but instead they settled for a FG. Aside from that missed call, which can be debated, the officials have been ok. They are younger and probably really want to do the best they can and be fair. The regular officials who are holding out are a bunch of greedy bankers, etc... who have a huge influence on the outcome of games. They are being kicked back somewhere by someone with big money.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Band View Post
    I thought the officiating last night was ok. They did blow one call when the Jets defender clearly interfered with the Giants WR in the ez. It should have been 1st. goal for the Giants but instead they settled for a FG. Aside from that missed call, which can be debated, the officials have been ok. They are younger and probably really want to do the best they can and be fair. The regular officials who are holding out are a bunch of greedy bankers, etc... who have a huge influence on the outcome of games. They are being kicked back somewhere by someone with big money.
    Are you kidding me? I counted numerous mistakes in just the explanation of the penalty. The head official's call on a holding call on a kickoff return went something like, "Holding on the return team. That's a 5, er 10 yard penalty. Correction. Half the distance to the goal." Another time, he pointed to the wrong team and didn't catch himself. There was also the failure to give a measurement after a Tebow scramble where they said it was 4th down. Rex pleaded with them to measure, they take the chain out, seemed unsure of how to do it, and low and behold it was actually 1st down.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard one announcer say the refs are gaining leverage one bad call at a time. Really I don't think it matters to the fans either way. Regular refs, replacements we are just going to complain about bad calls. I don't expect the replacement to be as good as regular ref but as long as they are blowing calls on both ends I don't think it really matters. In baseball we call it the human element. I am actually more appalled at the fact people are up in arms that there is a woman reffing games. Really? We have an issue with that? It is 2012 people. That to me is a bigger story.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teng View Post
    Are you kidding me? I counted numerous mistakes in just the explanation of the penalty. The head official's call on a holding call on a kickoff return went something like, "Holding on the return team. That's a 5, er 10 yard penalty. Correction. Half the distance to the goal." Another time, he pointed to the wrong team and didn't catch himself. There was also the failure to give a measurement after a Tebow scramble where they said it was 4th down. Rex pleaded with them to measure, they take the chain out, seemed unsure of how to do it, and low and behold it was actually 1st down.
    at least they got it correct after all was said and done. It is pre-season for them as well. Kinks need to be worked out but as long as the correct call was made, it won`t matter. It`s much better they get it right than come up with some dumbarse call like "Personal Foul for Giving Him The Business".