Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peter King: McElroy more of a back-up type QB than Tebow?

Jets Insider VIP

We will have to see if Mcelroy can put up points. He is serviceable, but def does not scare anyone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    We will have to see if Mcelroy can put up points. He is serviceable, but def does not scare anyone.
    sad for us...I don't think Sanchez scares anyone.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    All jokes aside, there's a very good chance that McElroy is the most accurate quarterback on the roster.
    How high is that bar exactly?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Was on the Michael Kaye show this afternoon with LaGreca and Damien Woody, and he wasn't bashing Tebow in any respect--but when they asked him about the Jets and the whole Sanchez-Tebow thing, he said after going to their practices yesterday it appeared to him that--in his opinion--McElroy looks like more of the typical back-up type QB than Tebow.

Said Tebow is going to do all his crazy (may have said whacky) stuff in the Wildcat and on special teams, but if Sanchez went down and you needed someone to come in and finish a game efficiently, he thought it more likely that McElroy would be the one they would use.

And he wasn't suggesting that McElroy IS the back-up or that he's taking the back-up snaps, just his perception of how the Jet offense would work if Sanchez went down.

Personlly, I'm not sure McElroy has the arm to play for long stretches in this league, but is he better equipped to play the traditional QB role with Tebow continuing to come in for his special packages?

For instance, in the presesaon games, is Tebow going to take ALL the traditional 2nd string snaps or is he still going to be taking his WC/spread option plays and McElroy the traditional offense?

_
    I think we've talked about this a few times in the off season - and I am somewhat in agreement with the thought.

Tebow is not a traditional back up QB. He's not a traditional QB. In most situations, a backup QB is put on ice to the point that he doesn't even hold for extra points. In contrast, Tebow was brought in here to be an all purpose player. The fact that QB is his primary position is somewhat ancillary.

If Sanchez has a season ending injury, I am sure that we will see McElroy on the field in some combination with Tebow. Granted, Tebow's role will probably be expanded, but it will very likely be some combination of the Tebow's non-conventional packages (be it the spread/read option or Wildcat) and the more traditional package run by McElroy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Was on the Michael Kaye show this afternoon with LaGreca and Damien Woody, and he wasn't bashing Tebow in any respect--but when they asked him about the Jets and the whole Sanchez-Tebow thing, he said after going to their practices yesterday it appeared to him that--in his opinion--McElroy looks like more of the typical back-up type QB than Tebow.

Said Tebow is going to do all his crazy (may have said whacky) stuff in the Wildcat and on special teams, but if Sanchez went down and you needed someone to come in and finish a game efficiently, he thought it more likely that McElroy would be the one they would use.

And he wasn't suggesting that McElroy IS the back-up or that he's taking the back-up snaps, just his perception of how the Jet offense would work if Sanchez went down.

Personlly, I'm not sure McElroy has the arm to play for long stretches in this league, but is he better equipped to play the traditional QB role with Tebow continuing to come in for his special packages?

For instance, in the presesaon games, is Tebow going to take ALL the traditional 2nd string snaps or is he still going to be taking his WC/spread option plays and McElroy the traditional offense?

_
    I heard that too Stokes and, to an extent, I agree with what he said. However, based on the snaps they have been getting in practice so far, that doesn't appear to be the likely scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    The jets are thinking about installing a moveable footstool on the field, so Mcelroy can see down the field.

I agree that McElroy or possibly Simms would become the starter in the event something goes wrong with sanchez. Yea Tebow is the #2 right now but that is for now. There is no way the Jets would put Tebow out there running the offense against the Pats after what they did to him last year. They didn't get him for that as this has been stated numerous times. I hope to see lots of Simms and McElroy this preseason and let Tebow do the change of pace plays like they got him to do! I don't hate Tebow in fact I like the guy alot. He brings a positive winning attitude to the Jets battered team Chemistry. Between Tebow and Sparano we should see a much more disciplined group than we had last year. Lets hope so anyway

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami View Post
    I agree that McElroy or possibly Simms would become the starter in the event something goes wrong with sanchez. Yea Tebow is the #2 right now but that is for now. There is no way the Jets would put Tebow out there running the offense against the Pats after what they did to him last year. They didn't get him for that as this has been stated numerous times. I hope to see lots of Simms and McElroy this preseason and let Tebow do the change of pace plays like they got him to do! I don't hate Tebow in fact I like the guy alot. He brings a positive winning attitude to the Jets battered team Chemistry. Between Tebow and Sparano we should see a much more disciplined group than we had last year. Lets hope so anyway
    The problem is, so far, Tebow has been getting the majority of #2 snaps in practice. That's kind of telling as to the CS's thought process don't you think?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I think we've talked about this a few times in the off season - and I am somewhat in agreement with the thought.

Tebow is not a traditional back up QB. He's not a traditional QB. In most situations, a backup QB is put on ice to the point that he doesn't even hold for extra points. In contrast, Tebow was brought in here to be an all purpose player. The fact that QB is his primary position is somewhat ancillary.

If Sanchez has a season ending injury, I am sure that we will see McElroy on the field in some combination with Tebow. Granted, Tebow's role will probably be expanded, but it will very likely be some combination of the Tebow's non-conventional packages (be it the spread/read option or Wildcat) and the more traditional package run by McElroy.
    Concur.

_

If Jets are smart, then is Sanchez goes down they would use Tebow and run a Tebow offense, like what Broncos ran last year.

McElroy may be a better option than Tebow acting like a regular QB in a regular offense, but a Tebow offense is better than a regular offense with McElroy as QB.

Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Peter should stick to backwood/small town sports reporting
    That's where his pea brain is best suited