Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter King: McElroy more of a back-up type QB than Tebow?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter King: McElroy more of a back-up type QB than Tebow?

Was on the Michael Kaye show this afternoon with LaGreca and Damien Woody, and he wasn't bashing Tebow in any respect--but when they asked him about the Jets and the whole Sanchez-Tebow thing, he said after going to their practices yesterday it appeared to him that--in his opinion--McElroy looks like more of the typical back-up type QB than Tebow.

Said Tebow is going to do all his crazy (may have said whacky) stuff in the Wildcat and on special teams, but if Sanchez went down and you needed someone to come in and finish a game efficiently, he thought it more likely that McElroy would be the one they would use.

And he wasn't suggesting that McElroy IS the back-up or that he's taking the back-up snaps, just his perception of how the Jet offense would work if Sanchez went down.

Personlly, I'm not sure McElroy has the arm to play for long stretches in this league, but is he better equipped to play the traditional QB role with Tebow continuing to come in for his special packages?

For instance, in the presesaon games, is Tebow going to take ALL the traditional 2nd string snaps or is he still going to be taking his WC/spread option plays and McElroy the traditional offense?

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    really if Sanchez wasn't available and they needed to air it out for a bit, they might have to go to Mac ... or Simms. But adding them into the mix and getting practice reps? sure they would be limited, but they'd still be reps taken from Sanchez, who will already be losing some to Tebow.

But if you are in pass mode, things kind of get hectic, plays get broken and you just kind of throw it around. so i guess you don't really need that much rapport with your WRs. hope it doesn't come to it!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    simms appears to be having a better camp than mcelroy from all reports

and a quieter mouth

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I agree McElroy might be the more effective QB should Sanchez go down, I really have a hard time believing Rex wouldn't go with Tebow in that situation.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

and a quieter mouth
    McElroy is the #3. If Sanchez goes down or stinks it up, they are pulling a Denver.
    Simms couldn't start in college, and can be thrown on the PS without worry of another team signing him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone needs to tell Peter King that fat, drunk and stupid is no way to through life.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Someone needs to tell Peter King that fat, drunk and stupid is no way to through life.
    For the younger guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK-Dqj4fHmM

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe he can put a good word in with Bellipuke.....McElroy probably will be looking for a job soon, and I hear Mallet is The SUCK!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really can't read or watch NFL analysis anymore.

It's all bad... written with an agenda or just flat out wrong, sometimes both.

I refuse to watch ESPN unless there's a good game on.

There are very few people out there worth watching or reading anymore.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Peter should stick to backwood/small town sports reporting

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I really can't read or watch NFL analysis anymore.

It's all bad... written with an agenda or just flat out wrong, sometimes both.

I refuse to watch ESPN unless there's a good game on.

There are very few people out there worth watching or reading anymore.
    Only 2 I like any more are Mort and Schefter..And to my surprise Mangini is pretty good..the rest of ESPN is total crap..NFL network not much better.I like Faulk the rest ugh

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

and a quieter mouth
    Went to a couple days of training camp ... I thought Sims had the best release of all of our guys. That being said ... There is more to the position than throwing the ball.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard Tebow is playing 2 quarters.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If McElroy was going to be the backup, then he'd be the one getting most the 2nd string snaps, instead of carrying a clipboard around and Tebow would be off honing his passing skills with some camp body and working on WC plays.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

and a quieter mouth
    True..but if Simms were any good, he would have played better college ball. McElroy has been a winner since high school and took Bama to the BCS championship. Mac also had a great pre season last year.

But... We will know in 3 weeks who is the 3.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting King brought this up. I like Tebow as a backup for that exact reason. Let me preface that Tebow's effectiveness will diminish the longer he plays but can probably get by 2-3 games before defenses figure him out in the Jets offense. I mentioned this on here before, he's like a changeup. Defenses are going to get frustrated when they have to suddenly defend a different type of QB after they just game planned and played a traditional drop back QB.

Remember slash from the Steelers? He was much more effective as a back up than a starter...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    McElroy speaking out last year was actually a profile in courage IMO. He said what needed to be said and was later proved to be correct when LT said the same thing.

He also looked pretty good in limited action last preseason and I think Simms is a real long shot here.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    Interesting King brought this up. I like Tebow as a backup for that exact reason. Let me preface that Tebow's effectiveness will diminish the longer he plays but can probably get by 2-3 games before defenses figure him out in the Jets offense. I mentioned this on here before, he's like a changeup. Defenses are going to get frustrated when they have to suddenly defend a different type of QB after they just game planned and played a traditional drop back QB.

Remember slash from the Steelers? He was much more effective as a back up than a starter...
    My thinking too. Until he develops his ability to read a defense and deliver a sharp, well-thrown ball, he is an option/Wildcat type QB who will be utilized as a weapon, not as a full-time starter at this point in his career. If Sanchez went down, the other QBs on the roster probably would be better as a starter with continued use of Tebow in the option/wildcat role. That's where he is deadly. But not full-time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    All jokes aside, there's a very good chance that McElroy is the most accurate quarterback on the roster.