Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 124

Thread: Hard to listen to early reports about Ingram and C Jones

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Coples as Rex said will not only be a pass rusher but allow pressure to come from different places due to the fact that you have to account for him on the inside. His versatility allows us to be multiple. Its about the scheme not the player. If he gets a double/triple teamed allowing maybin/pace to get pressure to bring down the QB thats all i care about. Stats arent everything.....but sadly in the Madden/fantasy football world we live in thats all people will focus on.
    +1
    *at least someone gets it.

    *a refreshing post, because this board has become otherwise unreadable. If Coples doesn't have a couple of sacks in the first few games, watch the usual suspects around here melt down and start a zillion threads about "Gholston II" .

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Ok, I mistakenly misstated Ingram's stat line, but my point is still valid.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...am-makes-mark/

    Melvin Ingram makes mark

    Posted by Mike Florio on August 9, 2012, 9:12 PM EDT



    Jets fans will be paying close attention to the early portion of Ingramís career. With Ingram on the board when the Jets used the 16th overall pick, New York took linebacker Quinton Coples instead.
    Hmm, what about the Seahawks? Since they made an actual reach pick for Irvin at 15?

    Coples was universally expected to go between 12-20

  3. #63
    If we are keeping track of players the Jets passed on.....

    Mike Adams gave up 2 sacks in the first quarter last night.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    If we are keeping track of players the Jets passed on.....

    Mike Adams gave up 2 sacks in the first quarter last night.
    But we needed a RT!

    More food for thought: Remember when alot of this board was preaching D'Bust and how we could have just gotten McNeil later in the draft...yeah.

    Nonetheless, Jones looked good though. NE fans should be pumped.

  5. #65
    Even if we didn't take Coples, we were going to take DeCastro in that spot.

    We were never going to take Ingram.

  6. #66
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    281
    HIndsight is 20/20. If anybody now says they wanted Chandler Jones over Coples I would have to say they are lying. Jones had mediocre production from a small school. Coples was the obvious better pick playing the same position.
    Nobody could have expected Jones to come on this strong this fast.
    Was he that good last night? I thought he displayed very good skills for the position. Very good at moving laterally, very good use of his hands, very good ability to bend at the waist, very good ability to bull rush bounce off and gain leverage over the off balance tackle. Those are skills usually seen in more developed ends.

    Did he show a weakness? Yes. He was definitely weak against the run where the tackle took him straight on. Bushrod was able to move him off the LOS in straight man blocking. However, Jones was able to set the edge well in a zone blocking where Bushrod game Jones a few yards into the backfield.

    This Pi$$es me off a bit. It was completely unexpected for him to be this confident at the position this early. Coples better show me something tonight! I still think Coples is stronger, more athletic and has more upside. But I got to see the heart and the commitment.

    BTW, the league will quickly discover Jones' weakness and take advantage. He is tall but I believe weighs less than 270. He was useless when chipped by the RB and weak in straight man blocking. I believe his weakness is due to a lack of bulk which teams will take advantage of. Don't expect Jones to be without problems.
    Last edited by positive; 08-10-2012 at 11:05 AM.

  7. #67
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,780
    I am a big fat liar.

    Although technically I wanted OL over all of them. So maybe I am a fibber.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    HIndsight is 20/20. If anybody now says they wanted Chandler Jones over Coples I would have to say they are lying. Jones had mediocre production from a small school. Coples was the obvious better pick playing the same position.
    Nobody could have expected Jones to come on this strong this fast.
    Was he that good last night?
    I thought he displayed very good skills for the position. Very good at moving laterally, very good use of his hands, very good ability to bend at the waist, very good ability to bull rush bounce off and gain leverage over the off balance tackle. Those are skills usually seen in more developed ends.

    Did he show a weakness? Yes. He was definitely weak against the run where the tackle took him straight on. Bushrod was able to move him off the LOS in straight man blocking. However, Jones was able to set the edge well in a zone blocking where Bushrod game Jones a few yards into the backfield.

    This Pi$$es me off a bit. It was completely unexpected for him to be this confident at the position this early. Coples better show me something tonight! I still think Coples is stronger, more athletic and has more upside. But I got to see the heart and the commitment.

    BTW, the league will quickly discover Jones' weakness and take advantage. He is tall but I believe weighs less than 270. He was useless when chipped by the RB and weak in straight man blocking. I believe his weakness is due to a lack of bulk which teams will take advantage of. Don't expect Jones to be without problems.
    The Saints practiced against the Pats ALL WEEK!
    Bushrod is a 6 year vet just trying to get through camp & preseason without getting hurt. Jones was pumped up for the Superbowl!
    Also, Bushrod is overrated because last year he had Carl Nicks protecting his azz at guard.
    Bad matchup for Bushrod, shorter arms ect.
    DBrick has the length to get to his chest just as fast, Plus he looks like he can be run on by going right at him & cutting him down like a tree.
    Like Parcells says, "don't put him Canton just yet".

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I am a big fat liar.

    Although technically I wanted OL over all of them. So maybe I am a fibber.
    The OL from this draft looks pretty weak so far. Cordy Glenn was getting abused

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I don't know where you read that.

    Just checked the boxscores on NFL.com

    Ingram had 2 tackles 1 assist, no sacks, no FF's, no FR's, no INT's.

    Jones had 1 tackle 1 assist, no sacks, no FF's, no FR's, no INT's.

    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201208...ts&tab=analyze

    I wouldn't exactly classify either debut as lightening in a bottle, just sayin'.....
    Ingram pressured Rodgers, hit him during a throw, and the pass was wobbly and picked off. It was a fantastic defensive play against the league MVP

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    I know it's early to be judging Coples, but if these two shine and Coples doesn't, Tanny is going to have some serious explaining to do.

    Don't let him down QC!
    I love Jet fans!!!

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    +1
    *at least someone gets it.

    *a refreshing post, because this board has become otherwise unreadable. If Coples doesn't have a couple of sacks in the first few games, watch the usual suspects around here melt down and start a zillion threads about "Gholston II" .
    Thanks. Coples is also a completely different player then Ingram. You can move Coples around. Its all starts up front... if we can establish an inside pass rush, QB's like Brady will no longer have the ability to step up in the pocket and will allow out OLB's to clean up on the outside plus with the blitzes with Landry and Bell or Bart the D will be devastating!!!!!! but again it all starts up front...so we will see.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    The OL from this draft looks pretty weak so far. Cordy Glenn was getting abused
    Whats the story with Cordy Glenn...is he starting?

    I was surprised to see people calling decastro soft too.

    With the defense getting older, wallace being away from the offense, and casey hampton possibly missing some early games....pitts could be in a lot of trouble if decastro and adams dont pan out pretty quickly.

    I would love to catch them before they can get on all cylinders over there

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Ok, I mistakenly misstated Ingram's stat line, but my point is still valid.
    Um, no. Your point wouldn't have been valid if Ingram had 5 sacks last night. It was 1 preseason game. Perhaps Ingram beat a backup who was subbing for an injuried starter. Perhaps it was a defensive breakdown. Its PRESEASON. Coples doesn't to live up to "early reports" from other players picked near him. You sure your name isn't Cimini?

  15. #75
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Bushrod is a 6 year vet just trying to get through camp & preseason without getting hurt. Jones was pumped up for the Superbowl!
    Plus he looks like he can be run on by going right at him & cutting him down like a tree.
    Like Parcells says, "don't put him Canton just yet".
    Good points. Let's first see him produce in real games. Second, he does have weaknesses and defenses will exploit them.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Gholston had a sack in preseason.

    Let's wait before the final verdict.
    I believe that preseason sack was against the giants.....in year 4.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Hmm, what about the Seahawks? Since they made an actual reach pick for Irvin at 15?

    Coples was universally expected to go between 12-20
    Perhaps on a Seahawks message board. This is a Jets board.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    MAYBIN

    No need for Ingram. Move along please.
    While i seen Maybin make strides going forward attacking the QB, I see his use as a designated pass rusher and not as a overall linebacker. While Maybins showed skills going forward in college that were lost in the pros until last year, he never played going back with any success at college or the pros. I see him as a Mark Anderson type where he is brought in to rush and not play 3 downs. Even Rex does not talk up his abilities as a 3 down player. Ingram at least in college showed that he could play the run and drop into a zone.

    he is also a FA this year, not exactly a long term replacement.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Whats the story with Cordy Glenn...is he starting?

    I was surprised to see people calling decastro soft too.

    With the defense getting older, wallace being away from the offense, and casey hampton possibly missing some early games....pitts could be in a lot of trouble if decastro and adams dont pan out pretty quickly.

    I would love to catch them before they can get on all cylinders over there
    I think he's starting at LT for the time being because they moved Hairston to RT because of injury

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    I think he's starting at LT for the time being because they moved Hairston to RT because of injury
    Rookie Olineman are scary!
    Imagine having 2 rookie Olineman! vs Rex Ryans blitzes & overloads! With Bell & Landry blitzing instead of Leonard & Smith!
    If we get Big Ben running like we did in that last playoff game, there is NO WAY he gets away from Mayhem for 5 seconds like he did then.

    I think it's awesome we get the Steelers early, might be able to steal a tough road win!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us