Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 124

Thread: Hard to listen to early reports about Ingram and C Jones

  1. #101
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not worried about Jones/Ingram. I just don't love picking a DE after taking essentially two 1st round talents 3-4 DE's last year - Wilkerson and Ellis (who dropped due to character concerns)...

    Now we have all sorts of options on our defensive line, which is great... But the 2 best run stoppers on this team are still Devito and Pouha... So how much are we gaining, we spent 3 high round picks on guys who may end situational players right now.

    I know they want to be the Giants and maybe it will work out that way...
    But none of these guys are explosive like the Giants guys imo.
    They are all big dudes who work best in a 3-4.

    We'll see how it all works out, but to me a guy like Doug Martin, Boise State RB, who can do it all and they are already comparing to Matt Forte and Ray Rice sure would have been a nice.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I'm not worried about Jones/Ingram. I just don't love picking a DE after taking essentially two 1st round talents 3-4 DE's last year - Wilkerson and Ellis (who dropped due to character concerns)...

    Now we have all sorts of options on our defensive line, which is great... But the 2 best run stoppers on this team are still Devito and Pouha... So how much are we gaining, we spent 3 high round picks on guys who may end situational players right now.

    I know they want to be the Giants and maybe it will work out that way...
    But none of these guys are explosive like the Giants guys imo.
    They are all big dudes who work best in a 3-4.

    We'll see how it all works out, but to me a guy like Doug Martin, Boise State RB, who can do it all and they are already comparing to Matt Forte and Ray Rice sure would have been a nice.
    Your overall point isn't badly taken, but you have really overstated on Ellis. First round talent? Ellis was a reach in the 3rd round and proved it by rarely being active during his rookie season. That is NOT what you get in a first round talent.

    You are right that neither Wilkerson or Ellis are QB sackers, rather they are run stoppers and pocket pushers. Its in Coples that the Jet FO hopes will be the dynamic player of the 3. He was picked to become an impact player, a game changer, and the guy OC's have to game plan against. If he isn't any or all of these things then even if he turns out to be a competent starter, it will be like DRob revisited only without having to trade up and over pay.

  3. #103
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you were a bit quick to make this thread.. Coples has looked very impressive vs the1st and 2nd stringers in tonights game

  4. #104
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,153
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good initial move then he falls down.

  5. #105
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,969
    Post Thanks / Like
    indeed

  6. #106
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    Looks like you were a bit quick to make this thread.. Coples has looked very impressive vs the1st and 2nd stringers in tonights game
    I strongly agree with you! I think Coples is playing like he is trying to prove a point!

  7. #107
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,516
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HardKnocks View Post
    Your overall point isn't badly taken, but you have really overstated on Ellis. First round talent? Ellis was a reach in the 3rd round and proved it by rarely being active during his rookie season. That is NOT what you get in a first round talent.

    You are right that neither Wilkerson or Ellis are QB sackers, rather they are run stoppers and pocket pushers. Its in Coples that the Jet FO hopes will be the dynamic player of the 3. He was picked to become an impact player, a game changer, and the guy OC's have to game plan against. If he isn't any or all of these things then even if he turns out to be a competent starter, it will be like DRob revisited only without having to trade up and over pay.
    lol, Ellis was most certainly not a reach in the 3rd round.

  8. #108
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,969
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    lol, Ellis was most certainly not a reach in the 3rd round.
    Ellis was the best player on the DL in the first half. Go back and watch. He looked immovable and pushed the pocket. Future all-pro material no joke. Can play anywhere on the line.

  9. #109
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dunbar working magic with Ellis. Not going to call him Jenkins-like yet, but they idea did cross my mind.

    Coples has shown he is too much for backups to handle and he held his own against the starters.

    Wilkerson is going to be our best player on the DL this year. He looks great.

  10. #110
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    Looks like you were a bit quick to make this thread.. Coples has looked very impressive vs the1st and 2nd stringers in tonights game
    Coples looked great, he was in the backfield with great penetration and just missed making the play twice. So far very good in my opinion.

    He doenst play with a ton of fire, but he is young.

    Demario Davis though really seems like a leader....lot of energy.

  11. #111
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples vs Bengals. 6 tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles, 1 batted pass and 3 hurries. Looked tremendous against the run. Good first step.

  12. #112
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    946
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can see already that our D-Line is going to be a major strength. Even the 3rd stringers like Richardson showed energy and flashes.

  13. #113
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,144
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Jets fans will be paying close attention to the early portion of Ingramís career. With Ingram on the board when the Jets used the 16th overall pick, New York took linebacker Quinton Coples instead.
    Not so much.......

    Coples finished the night with five tackles [two runs stopped for a loss], one sack, one FF and one pass batted down.

    That's a debut to talk about......

  14. #114
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,042
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Ellis was the best player on the DL in the first half. Go back and watch. He looked immovable and pushed the pocket. Future all-pro material no joke. Can play anywhere on the line.
    +1000. Dude was beastly. And Coples makes me forget about.. who were those other 2 again???

  15. #115
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Rex and Mr.T for drafting Coples who will be a BEAST and neither of those two busts Jones or Ingram.

    Mike the moron Mayock looking stupid once again

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

  16. #116
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Thank you Rex and Mr.T for drafting Coples who will be a BEAST and neither of those two busts Jones or Ingram.

    Mike the moron Mayock looking stupid once again

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    Absolutely. Where are all those Ingram fools!! I loved this kid from way before the draft. I know it was only the first pre-season game, but he looks like he can dominate.

  17. #117
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Thank you Rex and Mr.T for drafting Coples who will be a BEAST and neither of those two busts Jones or Ingram.

    Mike the moron Mayock looking stupid once again

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    Coples and Jones both had impressive debuts yet Jones will be a bust because he is a Pat...shortbus3 logic in da house.

  18. #118
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    This message is hidden because PatriotReign is on your ignore list.

  19. #119
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,144
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Coples and Jones both had impressive debuts yet Jones will be a bust because he is a Pat...shortbus3 logic in da house.
    Too early to say for either quite honestly....but their both are off to pretty good starts....

    I think Jets fans are at least at ease that it seems we don't have another Vernon Gholston on our hands......

  20. #120
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,471
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Too early to say for either quite honestly....but their both are off to pretty good starts....

    I think Jets fans are at least at ease that it seems we don't have another Vernon Gholston on our hands......
    +1

    Coples did more in that one game then Gholston did his whole career.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us