Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard to listen to early reports about Ingram and C Jones

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    +1 This is just an attention seeking thread.
    If you actually read my initial post before jumping to conclusions, you'd know that I didn't say anything negative about Coples (or "hate" on him as some other idiotic poster commented). All I said was that it hurts to see Jones and Ingram look good.

Relax, people.

Hall Of Fame
    Completely legitimate thread. There are plenty of people here who were calling for Ingram and Jones to be drafted by the Jets.

Now as long as we keep the scope within who is playing better and do not label anyone a bust right away then I think the conversation is fair.

Fact is, Coples was a polarizing pick. Some scouts called him too risky to use a #1 on. The good news is that Rex worked out Coples himself and we have an EXCELLENT DL coach in Dunbar. Coples will be getting the best coaching he has ever received in his life.

I happen to really like the Coples pick. I think he is going to be a rock-solid player for us. I especially preferred him over Ingram. But Jones would have been my first choice. So it is going to be interesting to follow their careers.

As long as nobody overreacts to one play or one game then I think we can have an interesting conversation about these players. That is what this place is for. If people can't grow a nutsack then we can always move the convo over to DI.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Who was the dude Ingram was going up against? That guy looked like CFL material

... wayne hunter? ...

l_j_r

I think the thread is good too.....many posters are just discussing the players potential/future, thats all.

Anyway, i too was floored when we passed on ingram for coples, but I think it can also be a testament to what the organization thinks we have in maybin and even sapp (although sapp is vastly unproven and a bit injury prone).

I havent read much about ingram, but with his speed and athleticism, i would have loved to see him in our defense. I did read the jones has been stronger at the point of attack then NE had originally thought and will be a day 1 starter.

All that being said, lets give rex/tanny the benefit of the doubt here with coples. Personally I hope he is a 3rd down pass rusher and situational player his first year. Rather see him give 110% and really be turned loose on 3rd down while he learns the DE position, and let devito take a majority of the running down snaps.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I watched the brutal game between the pats and the saints, the only thing I took out of it was that our 3rd string linebacker had to be helped off the field.

These are two teams with "great" olines and both looked like crap. There were so many players on the grass every play you could not run a hurry up if you had a cattle prod.
    Pats have a great O-Line? That's the first I've heard that one.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Just read the recaps from tonight's preseason games. Ingram had sack and FF; Jones supposedly looked good coming off the edge, drew a couple holding calls vs NO's starting LT and has reportedly been having an all-around solid camp.
    I don't know where you read that.

Just checked the boxscores on NFL.com

Ingram had 2 tackles 1 assist, no sacks, no FF's, no FR's, no INT's.

Jones had 1 tackle 1 assist, no sacks, no FF's, no FR's, no INT's.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201208...ts&tab=analyze

I wouldn't exactly classify either debut as lightening in a bottle, just sayin'.....
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 08-10-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post

I wouldn't exactly classify either debut as lightening in a bottle, just sayin'.....
    Probably famous "almost-sacks" ala Golston.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post
    Probably famous "almost-sacks" ala Golston.
    Maybe so, but, how do you have an almost FF? LOL.....

""Chandler Jones -- Rookie starts at right defensive end and draws back-to-back holding penalties on Saints first-unit left tackle Jermon Bushrod, who called him "a good physical specimen.""

""Bushrod, who said last week that Jones looked a little bit like Giants defensive lineman Jason Pierre-Paul in practice, repeated some similar thoughts after the preseason opener.

"I think he's going to be a good player in this league. It was a battle out there," said Bushrod, now in his sixth NFL season. "I think he has a bright future ahead of him.""

I didn't see Ingram, but Jones had 5 QB pressures. He would have had a sack if he wasn't held on one play and even then he almost sacked Brees along with his left tackle. He also probably could have had another sack because he had a clear shot at Brees, but tripped over the turf (there was no blocker within a yard of him). He also was a force against the run. For a first game for a rookie, it was very impressive.

It is only one game and preseason game no less, but Jones dominated Bushrod who is a pretty good LT. Bushrod has compared going up against him to going up against JPP (yeah, a little premature). He was completely out matched by Jones.

Who knows. That could have been a career game for Jones. But if it is any indication of how he is going to play this year, he legitimately will be a strong contender for Defensive Rookie of Year. He was that good last night.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    ""Chandler Jones -- Rookie starts at right defensive end and draws back-to-back holding penalties on Saints first-unit left tackle Jermon Bushrod, who called him "a good physical specimen.""

""Bushrod, who said last week that Jones looked a little bit like Giants defensive lineman Jason Pierre-Paul in practice, repeated some similar thoughts after the preseason opener.

"I think he's going to be a good player in this league. It was a battle out there," said Bushrod, now in his sixth NFL season. "I think he has a bright future ahead of him.""
    O.K. so show me exactly where that says Ingram had a sack & a forced fumble since that is what my question pertained to....

Ingram looked very good last nigh from what I watched. Not sure if he could be a 3tech in 4-6 or 4-3 Doubt he would be the fit in this interchangable front as Coples could

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    I didn't see Ingram, but Jones had 5 QB pressures. He would have had a sack if he wasn't held on one play and even then he almost sacked Brees along with his left tackle. He also probably could have had another sack because he had a clear shot at Brees, but tripped over the turf (there was no blocker within a yard of him). He also was a force against the run. For a first game for a rookie, it was very impressive.

It is only one game and preseason game no less, but Jones dominated Bushrod who is a pretty good LT. Bushrod has compared going up against him to going up against JPP (yeah, a little premature). He was completely out matched by Jones.

Who knows. That could have been a career game for Jones. But if it is any indication of how he is going to play this year, he legitimately will be a strong contender for Defensive Rookie of Year. He was that good last night.
    In all fairness, I didn't watch the game, if you did, I'll take your word for it but alot of what you are saying - particularly Jones being a force against the run, sure doesn't show up in his 1 tackle/1 assist stat-line.

If he was that much of a force against the run, I would think he would have had more then 1 tackle & 1 assist.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 08-10-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmarco View Post
    Ingram looked very good last nigh from what I watched. Not sure if he could be a 3tech in 4-6 or 4-3 Doubt he would be the fit in this interchangable front as Coples could
    Thats it. Coples and Ingram are different players. Coples can play on the line as well as off the edge, Ingram is strictly a 3-4 OLB. A better comparison would be a guy like Ricky Sapp and Ingram, they are playing a similar position.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Thats it. Coples and Ingram are different players. Coples can play on the line as well as off the edge, Ingram is strictly a 3-4 OLB. A better comparison would be a guy like Ricky Sapp and Ingram, they are playing a similar position.
    I agree. Coples and Ingram are completely different. Totally different positions. I did not like Ingram four our defense b.c I think he will struggle against the run. Time will tell.

But I think Coples and Jones are similar. We have seen Coples standing up and with his hand in the ground. Same for Jones. The only difference I foresee is I do not think Jones will ever play inside, whereas we know the Jets' plan is to eventually have Coples moving around even if we don't see him do that right away.

All League
    Honestly, it would be in typical Jets fashion if this Coples cat busted...he has a LOT TO PROVE before I give this guy an ounce of credit...I didn't want him, you didn't want him, no one wanted him....

All League
    In all fairness, I didn't watch the game, if you did, I'll take your word for it but alot of what you are saying - particularly Jones being a force against the run, sure doesn't show up in his 1 tackle/1 assist stat-line.

If he was that much of a force against the run, I would think he would have had more then 1 tackle & 1 assist.
    I can see why you'd think that given the stat but as the saying goes "I guess you had to be there". While it was only a pre season game Jones looked great, the guy was relentless.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    you could not run a hurry up if you had a cattle prod.
    useless titbit;

When I was a kid my father sneaked a cattle prod to a jockey after weigh-in for an underachieving racehorse my father owned, hoping to get it to run faster. The horse still finished last.

Jets Insider VIP
    how did Solder look?

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Pats have a great O-Line? That's the first I've heard that one.
    That is the first time you heard that? The pats oline has been getting props for giving Brady time for 10 years.