Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our QB's tonight.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    First, I haven't heard anything about a pass attempt to Tebow as of yet coming out of practice reports. Unless they're secretly practicing it out of the sight of media and fans.

Second, I'm very skeptical of this "ground and pound" talk.

a) I think it's overblown as to how much it's going to be used
    b) I don't think we have the right personnel to run it anyway
    c) The NFL is now a passing league. The successful teams are passing teams. So I'm not convinced that "ground and pound" can be a successful strategy in today's NFL.
    d) And I'm not convinced that we have the passing attack to succeed.

I think the Jets will have to win most of their games with a strong defense.

I don't think the offense will be winning many games for them.

JMO
    Ground and pound was a very minor part of my post.

My point was, when people are complaining about our lack of "pass-catchers", how many of them even remember to mention Keller, Cumberland, Baker, McKnight, Powell, and maybe even Tebow?

I'm not saying that's a lights-out offensive arsenal, but it's more objective than saying "we're screwed -- all we have is Hill and Turner . . ."

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Ground and pound was a very minor part of my post.

My point was, when people are complaining about our lack of "pass-catchers", how many of them even remember to mention Keller, Cumberland, Baker, McKnight, Powell, and maybe even Tebow?

I'm not saying that's a lights-out offensive arsenal, but it's more objective than saying "we're screwed -- all we have is Hill and Turner . . ."
    I was just simply expounding on some points you mentioned.

I honestly don't think that there was enough attention paid to the offensive side of the ball this off-season. I like Hill but he's not enough IMO.

I agree in that I think that the success of the offense will rest with the use of plays to the TE/H-back personnel. I think Keller, Cumberland and Baker will be used a lot differently by Sparano than they were by Shoddy. At least I hope so. If not, we may be in for a long season.

Hall Of Fame
    I was just simply expounding on some points you mentioned.

I honestly don't think that there was enough attention paid to the offensive side of the ball this off-season. I like Hill but he's not enough IMO.

I agree in that I think that the success of the offense will rest with the use of plays to the TE/H-back personnel. I think Keller, Cumberland and Baker will be used a lot differently by Sparano than they were by Shoddy. At least I hope so. If not, we may be in for a long season.
    I can agree with that. I think tonight is all about the RBs. With a couple of the starting WRs most likely out, I am going to be watching the play of the RBs. I hope to see Powell live up to the training camp hype so far. Also, if any TE can actually block someone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I can agree with that. I think tonight is all about the RBs. With a couple of the starting WRs most likely out, I am going to be watching the play of the RBs. I hope to see Powell live up to the training camp hype so far. Also, if any TE can actually block someone.
    It will be interesting to see Hayden Smith out there.

This will be the first live football game of his life.

First, I haven't heard anything about a pass attempt to Tebow as of yet coming out of practice reports. Unless they're secretly practicing it out of the sight of media and fans.

Second, I'm very skeptical of this "ground and pound" talk.

a) I think it's overblown as to how much it's going to be used
    b) I don't think we have the right personnel to run it anyway
    c) The NFL is now a passing league. The successful teams are passing teams. So I'm not convinced that "ground and pound" can be a successful strategy in today's NFL.
    d) And I'm not convinced that we have the passing attack to succeed.

I think the Jets will have to win most of their games with a strong defense.

I don't think the offense will be winning many games for them.

JMO
    Good. This will give you the opportunity to be pleasantly surprised.

It will be interesting to see Hayden Smith out there.

This will be the first live football game of his life.
    Agreed. Also looking forward to seeing Jordan White. Maybe our next Wayne Chrebet? I love the pre-season.

All Pro
    I'm just interested in seeing our offensive system -- it's been 7 years since we've seen a non-Schotty Jets offense. Excited to see what it looks like (and how our cogs fit into it.)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I'm just interested in seeing our offensive system -- it's been 7 years since we've seen a non-Schotty Jets offense. Excited to see what it looks like (and how our cogs fit into it.)
    Like your first night with a new g/f after 7 years with the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by endgameeugenics View Post
    +1 This guy gets it. All u Sanchez haters/doubters gonna look sour tonight.
    Sanchez gets the lions share of 1st team snaps in practice ... he should look better than all the other QBs on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Well my guess is it won't be as flashy and it might seem more basic and boring but the main thing is that they control the ball and minimize mistakes like int's and false starts. oh those 3rd down and short false starts!