Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ITíS A LITTLE TOO LATE TO CRACK THAT WHIP REX

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    The Parcells type basically no longer exists. It's just like the households why would sports relatively speaking be any different?
    Tell that to Bill Belichick.

I really like Rex, but the media has become bigger than any team or the sport for that matter. If Rex doesn't win big he will become their Sacrificial Lamb and will be run out of town.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I think the biggest thing Rex needs to evolve on is the offensive side of the ball.

He has to get out of that "I'm a defensive coach" mindset and realize that he's now a head coach in charge of overseeing 3 units.

Belichick has done that. He was a defensive coach who now has a team that is an offensive juggernaut with a very average defense. He has evolved and recognized that offense, particularly the passing game, wins football games.

Same with Brian Billick although his path was the opposite at the time. He was an offensive minded coach who decided to focus on the defensive side of the ball to build a winning team.

Neither one of these guys got "stuck" in their comfort zone.

I think that's part of the issue with Rex. And I think that's a big reason why the offense was largely ignored during the off-season.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    So do politicians.

If that ball doesn't stick to Tyree's head, Coughlin's evolution is . . .

Rex needed to change 3 things.

1. Stop guaranteeing SBs.

2. Stop talking about all his players like they were HoFers.

3. Get involved in the offense or at least know what it going on.
    1. Well, he's stopped that and in fact admitted it was the wrong thing to do--he manned up and said "mea culpa". He's not going to do it again.

2. Talking about players and saying they are good/great etc. means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I don't think anyone outside of Pfail Strippers really thinks that is one of his big issues.

3. Still to come.

Hey, it's called baby steps.

_

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Tell that to Bill Belichick.
    Basically, he s a disciple.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I think the biggest thing Rex needs to evolve on is the offensive side of the ball.

He has to get out of that "I'm a defensive coach" mindset and realize that he's now a head coach in charge of overseeing 3 units.

Belichick has done that. He was a defensive coach who now has a team that is an offensive juggernaut with a very average defense. He has evolved and recognized that offense, particularly the passing game, wins football games.

Same with Brian Billick although his path was the opposite at the time. He was an offensive minded coach who decided to focus on the defensive side of the ball to build a winning team.

Neither one of these guys got "stuck" in their comfort zone.

I think that's part of the issue with Rex. And I think that's a big reason why the offense was largely ignored during the off-season.
    No doubt, but don't hold your breath he is on the kill side it's in his blood.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    1. Well, he's stopped that and in fact admitted it was the wrong thing to do--he manned up and said "mea culpa". He's not going to do it again.

2. Talking about players and saying they are good/great etc. means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I don't think anyone outside of Pfail Strippers really thinks that is one of his big issues.

3. Still to come.

Hey, it's called baby steps.

_
    Fair enough.

I just want Rex to be Rex. I think the Rex 2.0 thing is a little overblown. He doesn't need to change much. I love when he takes shots at Brady and Belichick. I think he is a great coach, but sometimes he lets things overshadow that.

Lets face it, on 1st and 2nd down Rex is a defensive guru, putting teams into 3rd and long, however as we all know Rex's weakness is 3rd and long. Can't win like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Caster View Post
    Lets face it, on 1st and 2nd down Rex is a defensive guru, putting teams into 3rd and long, however as we all know Rex's weakness is 3rd and long. Can't win like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe that was a lack of a pass rusher, and safeties. Maybe we've fixed that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    No doubt, but don't hold your breath he is on the kill side it's in his blood.
    He can take that same mentality and transpose it to the offense.

I recall Gronkowski and Hernandez killing a lot of defenders. Running them over.

If he refuses to evolve in that area, he may never win a Super Bowl as a HC.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Fair enough.
    I'm always fair.

_

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I'm always fair.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

_