Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 63

Thread: How was Coples?

  1. #41
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,761
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples was one of the only players on the team who looked great yesterday. Got penetration, made plays in the backfield, batted down balls at the line. It was mostly against the #2s, but he made more plays in one series than Gholston made in his entire career.

  2. #42
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,548
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    Not really. Chandler Jones mostly played against the ones and dominated a Pro Bowl LT. Belichick pulled him midway through the second quarter. Jones only played 26 snaps and played every down in the first quarter vs. the 1s. Coples played 50% more plays with 39 and was a rotational guy in the first quarter and didn't play every down vs. the 1s. If Jones played three and a half quarters, he probably would have had similar or better stats than Coples. In 26 snaps, Jones had 5 QB pressures, drew 2 holding calls, and had two stuffs. Coples amassed all his stats vs. the 2s and 3s.

    I watched both players play and Jones played better because he did what he did against better competition (the first string). Coples didn't really impress until he played the back ups.
    LOL

    You Patsie guys are the biggest homers on the board

  3. #43
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,796
    Post Thanks / Like
    if it weren't for coples i think the entire evening would have been a complete disaster. and yet we still have these pathetic patsy trolls who are trying desperately to convince people that he wasn't that good. kudos to tanny for drafting bap. the jets will finally be able to generate pass rush from the linemen.

  4. #44
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    3,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Jones did not really play much and when he played it was against the 1st string. The saints 1st team was on the field quite a bit as this was thier 2nd preseason game.

    That said, Coples looked very good and even better than Jones. What I like was when he remembered to raise his arms when he did get stymied in the rush.
    Him getting winded may just because he was nervous and excited and his body never got to decompress and he did play a lot.

    he played well enough for Rex to give him some practice time with the #1s this week.




    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    Not really. Chandler Jones mostly played against the ones and dominated a Pro Bowl LT. Belichick pulled him midway through the second quarter. Jones only played 26 snaps and played every down in the first quarter vs. the 1s. Coples played 50% more plays with 39 and was a rotational guy in the first quarter and didn't play every down vs. the 1s. If Jones played three and a half quarters, he probably would have had similar or better stats than Coples. In 26 snaps, Jones had 5 QB pressures, drew 2 holding calls, and had two stuffs. Coples amassed all his stats vs. the 2s and 3s.

    I watched both players play and Jones played better because he did what he did against better competition (the first string). Coples didn't really impress until he played the back ups.
    Quiet, you two; Mommy and Daddy are talking.

  5. #45
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,548
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if it weren't for coples i think the entire evening would have been a complete disaster. and yet we still have these pathetic patsy trolls who are trying desperately to convince people that he wasn't that good. kudos to tanny for drafting bap. the jets will finally be able to generate pass rush from the linemen.
    + 1

    Btw, wish we had an Augy on this squad, he was a beast

  6. #46
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples .... B E A S T

  7. #47
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought coples did well. strong against the run vs 1s and blowing up the 2s. This is kinda where I hoped he'd be at this point. anohter year or 2 of nfl conditioning and understanding the defense, he will improve greatly.

    Edit: for those comparing him to chandler jones, i did not see the pats preseason game. did jones play tackle and command a double team when teams ran at him?

  8. #48
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,413
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    I thought coples did well. strong against the run vs 1s and blowing up the 2s. This is kinda where I hoped he'd be at this point. anohter year or 2 of nfl conditioning and understanding the defense, he will improve greatly.

    Edit: for those comparing him to chandler jones, i did not see the pats preseason game. did jones play tackle and command a double team when teams ran at him?
    Jones played DE and didn't play against the 2s except for a handful of plays (at the end of the second quarter in a two minute drill, but he originally left the field with the 1s) so he wouldn't command a double team. Coples didn't command a double team against the 1s either.

    Two different situations. Jones was going against a Pro Bowl LT who he treated like a rag doll much of the time and could have had two sacks against Brees if he wasn't held on one play (see 1:18 on video below) and slipped on the turf on another (:33 on video below). I know coulda shoulda woulda.


    http://www.patriots.com/media-center...1-3b5fbb2058a0

  9. #49
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,654
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    Quiet, you two; Mommy and Daddy are talking.
    Which of you are mommy?

  10. #50
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,654
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    LOL

    You Patsie guys are the biggest homers on the board

    I watched both games and I said that I thought Coples looked better, how the hell is that being a Homer. Your lost.

  11. #51
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,413
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    LOL

    You Patsie guys are the biggest homers on the board
    LOL! I never said Coples sucked.

    Yes, you know Coples was better. You didn't see Jones play, but he obviously sucked.

    Jones was a big impact against the #1s and Coples wasn't. Deal with it. It was one game, but Jones has thus far shown he is able to be a full time starter more than Coples at this point. Next week that could change.

    Bet if you ask a person without a bias who saw both games which guy is more ready to make an impact as a starter based on their first preseason game, most would say Jones because he made an impact against the Saints starters.

  12. #52
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,413
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I watched both games and I said that I thought Coples looked better, how the hell is that being a Homer. Your lost.
    Overall Coples was better. Against the starters, Jones was better.

  13. #53
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    Jones played DE and didn't play against the 2s except for a handful of plays (at the end of the second quarter in a two minute drill, but he originally left the field with the 1s) so he wouldn't command a double team. Coples didn't command a double team against the 1s either.

    Two different situations. Jones was going against a Pro Bowl LT who he treated like a rag doll much of the time and could have had two sacks against Brees if he wasn't held on one play (see 1:18 on video below) and slipped on the turf on another (:33 on video below). I know coulda shoulda woulda.


    http://www.patriots.com/media-center...1-3b5fbb2058a0
    the point is not whether or not it was against 1s or 2s, the point is they play different positions and coples is more versatile. coples did get double teamed as i saw it with my own eyes (don't remember if it was the 1s or 2s). i distinctly remember him splitting one of the doubles and getting up field on an occasion. when jones is tasked with that responsibility, we can compare the 2. in the meantime, the pats trolls can jerk themselves silly over sacks that jones gets (and i expect him to have plenty in his rookie season) but to then turn around and compare that stat directly to coples is ridiculous. coples has WAY DIFFERENT responsibilities in our system. and by the way, he still had some good pass rushing moments last night.

  14. #54
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,554
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples and Jones both looked good. There was no clear winner. I am sure this is a debate that we will be having for years. And I look forward to it. But, ultimately I think both teams will be very happy with their choice.

  15. #55
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,143
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    Jones played DE and didn't play against the 2s except for a handful of plays (at the end of the second quarter in a two minute drill, but he originally left the field with the 1s) so he wouldn't command a double team. Coples didn't command a double team against the 1s either.

    Two different situations. Jones was going against a Pro Bowl LT who he treated like a rag doll much of the time and could have had two sacks against Brees if he wasn't held on one play (see 1:18 on video below) and slipped on the turf on another (:33 on video below). I know coulda shoulda woulda.


    http://www.patriots.com/media-center...1-3b5fbb2058a0
    IF coples played for the pats and jones played for the jets it would have been the same situation for both players, due to the depth on the jets at that position and the lack of depth on the patriots. So enough with the talk about how jones played against 1s and coples played mostly against the 2s.

  16. #56
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,413
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    the point is not whether or not it was against 1s or 2s, the point is they play different positions and coples is more versatile. coples did get double teamed as i saw it with my own eyes (don't remember if it was the 1s or 2s). i distinctly remember him splitting one of the doubles and getting up field on an occasion. when jones is tasked with that responsibility, we can compare the 2. in the meantime, the pats trolls can jerk themselves silly over sacks that jones gets (and i expect him to have plenty in his rookie season) but to then turn around and compare that stat directly to coples is ridiculous. coples has WAY DIFFERENT responsibilities in our system. and by the way, he still had some good pass rushing moments last night.
    How is whether it is against the 1s or 2s irrelevant? Seriously, if the roles were reversed and Coples shined against the 1s and Jones shined against the 2s, it would be the first thing you would be arguing.

    As for versatility, Jones is known for his versatility (hence why teams were looking at him as both a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE). He was great against the pass and run the other night. I think he is pretty versatile. Jones set the edge on every running play that came his way. He has shown that he can be a four down DE.

    I agree comparing two players playing different positions is a little silly, but I was responding to Jets fans who compared the two. I didn't bring it up. Let me get your point. So when Jets fans compare the two, it is valid point. When Pats fans do it, they are just stupid homers who don't understand they play different positions.

    Coples played very well in his first game, but he didn't show a lot against the first stringers. Jones did. That is all I am saying.
    Last edited by Rob0729; 08-11-2012 at 01:42 PM.

  17. #57
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,413
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    IF coples played for the pats and jones played for the jets it would have been the same situation for both players, due to the depth on the jets at that position and the lack of depth on the patriots. So enough with the talk about how jones played against 1s and coples played mostly against the 2s.
    With the Jets' outside pass rush last night, are you really saying Jones wouldn't be starting on the Jets? The guy manhandled a Pro Bowl LT on a lot of plays which he did in the scrimmage between the two teams too. I think you are kidding yourself.

    Besides, Jones started as a back up and earned the #1 spot while Ryan appointed Coples the starter the day after he was drafted and was downgraded to a situational player because he had by most accounts an unimpressive camp. Coples would have been starting if he played like he did against the 2s and 3s last night during the first two weeks of training camp. The reason why Jones played with the 1s more is because he earned it in practice and Coples didn't. The Pats expected Jones to be a situational pass rusher this season and proved he could be an every down player in practice.
    Last edited by Rob0729; 08-11-2012 at 01:43 PM.

  18. #58
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Fr:NYC to Mid Ga.
    Posts
    8,838
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    Didn't get to watch the game, but I heard a lot about how Coples played well. How good was he?
    The kid was a BEAST makin plays all over the place at the end tired but still makin plays.

  19. #59
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    How is whether it is against the 1s or 2s irrelevant? Seriously, if the roles were reversed and Coples shined against the 1s and Jones shined against the 2s, it would be the first thing you would be arguing.

    As for versatility, Jones is known for his versatility (hence why teams were looking at him as both a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 DE). He was great against the pass and run the other night. I think he is pretty versatile. Jones set the edge on every running play that came his way. He has shown that he can be a four down DE.

    I agree comparing two players playing different positions is a little silly, but I was responding to Jets fans who compared the two. I didn't bring it up. Let me get your point. So when Jets fans compare the two, it is valid point. When Pats fans do it, they are just stupid homers who don't understand they play different positions.

    Coples played very well in his first game, but he didn't show a lot against the first stringers. Jones did. That is all I am saying.
    point 1 - anybody comparing their stats directly is dumb, pat fan, jet fan or alien for another galaxy.

    point 2 - if jones moved inside to the tackle position, he wouldn't have had the opportunity to do what he did (i don't care if its against 1, 2, or 3s) and may have gotten run over in the running game. setting the edge as an end vs holding up in the middle are 2 different things. from what i've heard, again i didn't see the game so i apologize, his weakness may be against the run.

    point 3 - i will call out jets fans comparing the 2 (and any comparing the stats to melvin ingram, are your serious?). they are clueless. the fact that we are having this convo means both showed something for their respective teams which is all you can ask in their first preseason game.

  20. #60
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Fr:NYC to Mid Ga.
    Posts
    8,838
    Post Thanks / Like
    JetsMakeMeCry! you make me weepin and moanin and gnashin of teeth!
    weepin and moanin and gnashin of teeth.........patsy troll.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us