Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63

Thread: How was Coples?

  1. #1

    How was Coples?

    Didn't get to watch the game, but I heard a lot about how Coples played well. How good was he?

  2. #2
    played really good against the #2's, not so good against the#1's

  3. #3
    Looked pretty good, though he was (from what I heard) showing those motor issues we heard about. That said, I don't think I saw him give up once.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,194
    Played damn good.

    His biggest moments came against the backups, but he still got penetration against the starters, just tended to overpursue a bit.

    Still, he showed more in his first preseason game than Gholston did in 3 years.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,932
    BEAST

  6. #6
    Has more sacks during a single preseason game, than what Gholston put up during his entire Jet career. He looks very good coming off the line, quick and powerful. We could be set at DE for years on end with both Wilkerson and Coples.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Looked pretty good, though he was (from what I heard) showing those motor issues we heard about. That said, I don't think I saw him give up once.

    he didnt show any motor issues. he was dominant on almost every single play.

    wound up with at least 6 tackles, a few for loss, 2 FF - one on a strip sack, one batted pass

    the guy was an absolute effing monster -- has to work on his conditioning tho

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,244
    He showed enough for nobody to be worried. He will continue to get better. Can't go gaga over him dominating UPS workers. He was supposed to be the #2 overall pick this year.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Played damn good.

    His biggest moments came against the backups, but he still got penetration against the starters, just tended to overpursue a bit.

    Still, he showed more in his first preseason game than Gholston did in 3 years.
    True dat! I thought the same thing while watching Coples vs. the Bengals backups. Ghoulston was a scrub while playing against the scrubs so at least we know Coples isn't a bust.

    I think it's funny tho when people praise Coples for doing well against backups but when our starters and backups suck against backups people say that its the preseason and it doesn't matter. Tonight was a preview of our season and I'm not excited. Wake me up when our front office actually tries to fix our team's problems by acquiring players by trades/FA. We are the most overrated team in the NFL.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    4,004
    Motor issues? What the hell?

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    37,081
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He showed enough for nobody to be worried.
    This.

    He'll be good. Give him some time.

  12. #12
    How are the Jets overrated when most of the media/analysts dont have them even making the playoffs?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofNY View Post
    True dat! I thought the same thing while watching Coples vs. the Bengals backups. Ghoulston was a scrub while playing against the scrubs so at least we know Coples isn't a bust.

    I think it's funny tho when people praise Coples for doing well against backups but when our starters and backups suck against backups people say that its the preseason and it doesn't matter. Tonight was a preview of our season and I'm not excited. Wake me up when our front office actually tries to fix our team's problems by acquiring players by trades/FA. We are the most overrated team in the NFL.


    And now the hell are the Jets overrated?

  14. #14
    Coples had good moments and flashed his ability.

    The guy that really surprised me on D was Kenrick Ellis.

    He was impressive and it really is exciting to possibly have good depth at NT.

    I thought Ducasse is definitely better than last year. Whether he's a starter or not remains to be seen.

  15. #15
    Coples was also good against the 1st string and was dominant against the 2nd stringers.. He was getting good pressure against the 1st string too but no sack or batted balls

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,262
    My analysis of him is that he looked good against the run when playing with the 1's and looked like a monster against the 2's against the pass and run.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post


    And now the hell are the Jets overrated?
    Yea we're overrated. I'd say we're one of the worst teams in the league and on most power rankings we're between 12-20. I think 24-30 is more realistic. We can have this conversation again after the season and talk about who was right/wrong.

  18. #18
    Statistics are taken with a grain of salt during preseason performance, but I'd have to say that 5 tackles, two for loses, 1 sack which caused a fumble was pretty impressive for a rookie defensive end who's making his NFL debut.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Motor issues? What the hell?
    I said from what I had heard.


    Quote Originally Posted by KingofNY View Post
    Yea we're overrated. I'd say we're one of the worst teams in the league and on most power rankings we're between 12-20. I think 24-30 is more realistic. We can have this conversation again after the season and talk about who was right/wrong.
    You're confusing being talked about for being overrated. There's a difference.

    Example: The Giants are overrated because they are really 9-7 team that's being hailed as an elite force in the NFL. The Jets, on the other hand, are just being talked about.
    Last edited by McGinley; 08-11-2012 at 12:26 AM.

  20. #20
    Coples played better than the two draft picks that everyone was comparing him to earlier today.

    2 FFs. 1 sack. Stout against the run. I liked it.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us