Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How was Coples?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Coples played better than the two draft picks that everyone was comparing him to earlier today (and who a number of posters were treating as HOFers).

2 FFs. 1 sack. Stout against the run. I liked it.

... this ... + 1 ...

l_j_r

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples looked excellent. Good first step. By my measure, He had 6 tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles, 1 batted pass and 3 hurries.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Played damn good.

His biggest moments came against the backups, but he still got penetration against the starters, just tended to overpursue a bit.

Still, he showed more in his first preseason game than Gholston did in 3 years.

Gholston -

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Coples looked excellent. Good first step. By my measure, He had 6 tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles, 1 batted pass and 3 hurries.
    I think this is what Ryan envisioned dating back to Coples' pro day. Or maybe even before that. But that's when Ryan made a word of promise with Coples, letting him know that he'll be a Jet if still on the board. Pretty nice to see Lankster making plays. He's been NYJ's offseason sleeper.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least he looked better than Gholston

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples played better than the two draft picks that everyone was comparing him to earlier today.

Maybe the guy was just trying to get through camp and didn't care.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny, isn't it?

Maybin, Powell, etc in camp: Having a great camp, making big plays, looking fantastic.
    Coples in camp: Very quiet, not really make anything happen, totally off the radar.

Maybin, Powell, etc in game: Disappointing, not doing anything, extremely quiet.
    Coples in game: Forced fumbles, sack, tackles left and right.

Could it be that Coples is one of those guys who's quiet in practice, but turns it on come game time?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    It's funny, isn't it?

Maybin, Powell, etc in camp: Having a great camp, making big plays, looking fantastic.
    Coples in camp: Very quiet, not really make anything happen, totally off the radar.

Maybin, Powell, etc in game: Disappointing, not doing anything, extremely quiet.
    Coples in game: Forced fumbles, sack, tackles left and right.

Could it be that Coples is one of those guys who's quiet in practice, but turns it on come game time?
    It could be, although I'd fully expect Coples to become more respected amongst his own teammates within due time, due to the ways that he'll also practice. I'm not sure coach Ryan would give a defensive end, that he's drafted, any other choice, but to practice hard. Although I see exactly where you're coming from. It's also nice seeing McKnight first work his way onto the roster during his rookie season, improved during his second season as a special teams ace, followed by standing out tonight during an offseason in which regarded McKnight as a potential breakout player heading into the season.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Official stat line for Coples:

Coples finished the night with five tackles [two runs stopped for a loss], one sack, one FF and one pass batted down.

Much better stats then Jones & Ingram had.....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shades of Julius Peppers

If this kid stays focused, the sky is the limit for him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples played better than the two draft picks that everyone was comparing him to earlier today.

Solid performance. He's got some scary good potential. Needs more polishing and conditioning but that will come with time and practice.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jones did not really play much and when he played it was against the 1st string. The saints 1st team was on the field quite a bit as this was thier 2nd preseason game.

That said, Coples looked very good and even better than Jones. What I like was when he remembered to raise his arms when he did get stymied in the rush.
    Him getting winded may just because he was nervous and excited and his body never got to decompress and he did play a lot.

he played well enough for Rex to give him some practice time with the #1s this week.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Jones did not really play much and when he played it was against the 1st string. The saints 1st team was on the field quite a bit as this was thier 2nd preseason game.

That said, Coples looked very good and even better than Jones. What I like was when he remembered to raise his arms when he did get stymied in the rush.
    Him getting winded may just because he was nervous and excited and his body never got to decompress and he did play a lot.

he played well enough for Rex to give him some practice time with the #1s this week.
    Jones looked excellent. Dude apparently knows how to draw a penalty very well. Seems like he was putting up pressure the entire game.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very impressive first performance. He didn't do nearly as well against the 1st stringers as he did against the 2nd stringers, but still a very impressive performance. The guy just needs to be coached up and he'll start getting those kinds of statistics against 1 st stringers. He's as good as advertised, that's for sure.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really. Chandler Jones mostly played against the ones and dominated a Pro Bowl LT. Belichick pulled him midway through the second quarter. Jones only played 26 snaps and played every down in the first quarter vs. the 1s. Coples played 50% more plays with 39 and was a rotational guy in the first quarter and didn't play every down vs. the 1s. If Jones played three and a half quarters, he probably would have had similar or better stats than Coples. In 26 snaps, Jones had 5 QB pressures, drew 2 holding calls, and had two stuffs. Coples amassed all his stats vs. the 2s and 3s.

I watched both players play and Jones played better because he did what he did against better competition (the first string). Coples didn't really impress until he played the back ups.
    Last edited by Rob0729; 08-11-2012 at 06:29 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man amongst boys last night.. Once his technique gets sound he will be unblockable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    Not really. Chandler Jones mostly played against the ones and dominated a Pro Bowl LT. Belichick pulled him midway through the second quarter. Jones only played 26 snaps and played every down in the first quarter vs. the 1s. Coples played 50% more plays with 39 and was a rotational guy in the first quarter and didn't play every down vs. the 1s. If Jones played three and a half quarters, he probably would have had similar or better stats than Coples. In 26 snaps, Jones had 5 QB pressures, drew 2 holding calls, and had two stuffs. Coples amassed all his stats vs. the 2s and 3s.

I watched both players play and Jones played better because he did what he did against better competition (the first string). Coples didn't really impress until he played the back ups.
    Gfy

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Pfffffft.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    But wait....Ray Lucas and Adam Schien said Coples will be a bust and it was a Rex Ryan ego pick based on a workout.....

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

While I mainly agree Coples should have impressed against the 2's and 3's, and he did. If you can't do well when you should then you...well are named Gholston. He didn't do as well against the starters but who would expect him to? For his first preseason game he did good.

Jones played less and did well against a pro-bowl LT. That's really impressive.

It's only one preseason game, but if it is any indication both have bright futures
    Last edited by Luthier; 08-11-2012 at 10:46 AM.