Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Line play will make it hard to evaluate anyone else on O

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like

Offensive Line play will make it hard to evaluate anyone else on O

One of my biggest fears is that our OLine will play so poorly that it becomes difficult to even evaluate the play of the QBs or see if Powell is progressing. Sanchez was sacked on the first 3rd down of the first preseason game. (I guess it's better than on the first play of Week 1 like last year vs. Dallas). Our best offense was when Tebow was forced to scramble.

It's absolutely amazing that one of the biggest problems from last season, a problem that even the most casual uninformed fan knows about, still does not seem to have been fixed.

A late July swing for the fences with an injured former 1st rounder in Otah? That was the attempt to fix a problem we've known about for a year???

I'm sure all will be solved in the next 3 weeks or with the return of Hunter.

#frustration

#sucked_into_pfailage

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    One of my biggest fears is that our OLine will play so poorly that it becomes difficult to even evaluate the play of the QBs or see if Powell is progressing. Sanchez was sacked on the first 3rd down of the first preseason game. (I guess it's better than on the first play of Week 1 like last year vs. Dallas). Our best offense was when Tebow was forced to scramble.

It's absolutely amazing that one of the biggest problems from last season, a problem that even the most casual uninformed fan knows about, still does not seem to have been fixed.

A late July swing for the fences with an injured former 1st rounder in Otah? That was the attempt to fix a problem we've known about for a year???

I'm sure all will be solved in the next 3 weeks or with the return of Hunter.

#frustration

#sucked_into_pfailage
    3 pro bowlers, and the player everybody likes to blame for everything didn't even play.

It's called pre-season, new offense, new blocking schemes, players injured or out, players rotating to cover for injuries, and the first pre-season game.

Everybody needs to calm down.

That said, I'm pretty sure the team is not done making moves...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brick is beginning to scare me. We are very weak on the edges. That includes the TEs. Slauson and Mangold are the only ones I have faith in anymore.

And we still can't cover TEs or RBs on defense. Getting killed in the middle of the field.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    If we don't make moves to pick up some OL help, looking at 8-8 tops. We have to be able to block to run the ball, and we were an open door to the backs. Line did NOT get push, watch the line again.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Brick is beginning to scare me. We are very weak on the edges. That includes the TEs. Slauson and Mangold are the only ones I have faith in anymore..
    That's a legitimate fear that all Jet fans should be worried about. Clearly Brick had a bad year last season. He might not have ever been a road grading run blocker, but he has been an elite pass blocker for several years right up to 2011. We had hoped that last season was just a down year. Something most players who have long careers have now and then. After tonight you have to worry that it might just be a trend. And does anyone know who backs up Brick?

My only hope is that he's not regressing, he's just having trouble moving from the zone blocking scheme he's been in his whole career, to Sparano's man blocking system. If it's that, then there's a chance we will see some improvement as the preseason goes on.

I have the same fear about Slauson who was in Cunningham's system since college

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know who to blame. The more I think about it the more I get pissed off. You go out and make a commitment to go back to a physical ground and pound, run first offense. It makes complete sense given that your QB has had his best success when he throws play action passes and doesn't have to carry the load. You then go out and hire an OC who is committed to that philosophy. Then you trade for a QB who's best attribute is running a Wildcat offense. So far so good.

Then for some inexplicable reason you utterly fail to supply your team with the key players need to make it all work. You don't upgrade your LG and RT. You don't build OL depth, so you are at the mercy of injury luck. And you don't get a TE who can also be an effective blocker.

How can you build a clock killing offense when you can't get first downs on a regular basis. What good is building a very nice young DL to go with a lockdown secondary, when it seems they are going to be on the field 40 minutes a game,. What good is it to invest in a WR when there is little chance we can get him the ball, and even if we do, we aren't sure he will catch it.

Who do I blame for this mismanagement,. Rex? Tanny? Woody? I need some direction here.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bean Counter and Mouth---Woody has no clue about anything except how to spend his inheritance.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Bean Counter and Mouth---Woody has no clue about anything except how to spend his inheritance.
    Bean counter and mouth is not going to catch on, no matter how hard you try. You and a select few others make this board depressingly lame.

Just one honest question, is it schtick, or are is the constant negativity legit? If it is shtick, you are a loser of epic preportions for portraying a character ona message board. If you are really always that down about the team, what's the point of watching.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brick is beginning to scare me. We are very weak on the edges. That includes the TEs. Slauson and Mangold are the only ones I have faith in anymore.

And we still can't cover TEs or RBs on defense. Getting killed in the middle of the field.
    Watch the game again ... brick was very solid ... He did not get beat even once.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    there's nothing wrong with the ol that mark can't fix. When there's a blitz he needs to get rid of it, period. What is he waiting for?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    there's nothing wrong with the ol that mark can't fix. When there's a blitz he needs to get rid of it, period. What is he waiting for?
    I honestly don't think he recognized any of the blitzes last night.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    priceless.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets fans are under the assumption that mark needs a clean pocket for 5 seconds. In the NFL no one gets a clean pocket for 2 seconds. He needs to recognize the situation and throw it. If the defense is bringing 6 or 7 then someone is open. Or just throw it away. This is not new behavior for Mark. Yes certain individuals lost their matchups like Slauson and Cumby but Mark needs to see the blitz and have the hot read ready to go. Bang bang it's gotta be out of there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets fans are under the assumption that mark needs a clean pocket for 5 seconds. In the NFL no one gets a clean pocket for 2 seconds. He needs to recognize the situation and throw it. If the defense is bringing 6 or 7 then someone is open. Or just throw it away. This is not new behavior for Mark. Yes certain individuals lost their matchups like Slauson and Cumby but Mark needs to see the blitz and have the hot read ready to go. Bang bang it's gotta be out of there.
    why does it seem that the jets rarely pick up the blitz, yet, our blitzers get picked up easily? i believe that if you put maybin on the bengals last night and blitzed him in the first quarter he would have sacked sanchez. there's a fundamental issue with blitz pickup from the rbs and tes on the jets that goes back to last season.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking TEAM SHOULD MAKE SOME O LINE MOVES, WHO IS AVAIL.?

3 pro bowlers, and the player everybody likes to blame for everything didn't even play.

It's called pre-season, new offense, new blocking schemes, players injured or out, players rotating to cover for injuries, and the first pre-season game.

=TEAMSPEAK: NEW SEASON TRANSLATION from Gang Green

...Wow! I mean, just wow! Everything seems to be falling into place! New coach Y is SOOOO much better than departed schmuck Z. Our top draft picks all look like superstars! Even dud #1 pick from last year finally seems to be getting it. When you add in the ridiculous talent of our UDFA's (how did those guys NOT get drafted LOL?), our amazing FA pickups, and how much all our young guys are going to improve, plus a FULL OFFSEASON where we can coach these guys up, man we're gonna be scary! I can see it now! 14-2 minimum, SB champs, outside chance of 16-0. Never mind that this franchise has never won more than 11 games in it's history, that's history, baby! I can FEEL it, we're gonna be SICK!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Demario Davis will answer the covering the RB question.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Because Tebow and McElroy weren't under pressure, right?

Oh and BTW, they couldn't run block either.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    Because Tebow and McElroy weren't under pressure, right?

Oh and BTW, they couldn't run block either.
    Those with an AGENDA don't see your point!!

It is easy to blame the QB, i.e Sanchez, this is the same crew that said last year that Sanchez had more than enough time to throw if he had 1.3 seconds. WELL IT ISN'T ENOUGH TIME!!!!

You can't make this stick up.

Well the reason why you have an OL is to create a pocket in which a QB can work effectively. If the QB is ducking and running for his life on the first series and the subsequent series through out the game then there is a problem with the OL....

I guess I didn't see Tebow running for his life out there behind a Horrible OL line display, yea Tebow made the OL look so much better, right!!!!

Good Grief

The only reason I don't panic is that as other posters have correctly pointed out this is the first pre-season game; but that is what they the FO was saying after the first 8 games of the season last year as well, "give the OL to gell" and how did that work out.

And all I can say about totally trusting this FO as it concerns the OL is Adrien Clarke.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    an overlooked point is that sparano is changing from zone to man blocking scheme so perhaps that has something to do with the terrible performance. I hope they can get things fixed. The giants are next up and their d-line is beastly, so they better get their act together ASAP

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    right. and they've changed blocking schemes and have different play terminology. it will take some time.