Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Line play will make it hard to evaluate anyone else on O

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    there's nothing wrong with the ol that mark can't fix. When there's a blitz he needs to get rid of it, period. What is he waiting for?

Um, maybe receivers to get downfield, run their routes as designed.

Do you watch football or just stat sheets and "Reply to Thread" boxes?

What are you waiting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    3 pro bowlers, and the player everybody likes to blame for everything didn't even play.

It's called pre-season, new offense, new blocking schemes, players injured or out, players rotating to cover for injuries, and the first pre-season game.

Everybody needs to calm down.

That said, I'm pretty sure the team is not done making moves...
    Brick has not been a pro bowler in over a year. He doesn't go if Jake long refused to go.

Watched the first 2 series again. Some OL observations:
    1) On the first sack the Bengals brought 6 rushers. Howard was driven back into Sanchez and there was a free runner from the other side. Nothing he could do.
    2) On the 2nd sack, they brought 6 and Cumberland whiffed on Mark's backside.
    3) Bad drop by Jordan White on a 3rd down play where Mark hit him in the hands.

Other than that, I thought Mark looked fine. What you can't see from the TV angle is if the WRs were getting any seperation downfield.

Other than the first sack, I thought Howard played ok. He moved to LT with the 2nd team.

The first unit as a whole got no push in the running game. There were no holes for Greene.

I'm shokced no one is talking more about Vlad. I think he found his home at G. He looked a lot better in pass protection and was strong on running plays.

#67 (Heyer) was playing OT opposite Howard with the 2nd unit and looked badly overmatched.

Schlauderaff was decent at G (2nd team) and C (3rd team)

Quote Originally Posted by CTJetsFanII View Post
    Watched the first 2 series again. Some OL observations:
    1) On the first sack the Bengals brought 6 rushers. Howard was driven back into Sanchez and there was a free runner from the other side. Nothing he could do.
    2) On the 2nd sack, they brought 6 and Cumberland whiffed on Mark's backside.
    Problem is that good QBs recognize the blitz pre-snap ... Sanchez did not do a good job at this last night ... And it was against a vanilla defense.

He should have burned them on that blitz with a quick throw to his hot receiver/RB.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Problem is that good QBs recognize the blitz pre-snap ... Sanchez did not do a good job at this last night ... And it was against a vanilla defense.

He should have burned them on that blitz with a quick throw to his hot receiver/RB.
    Agreed...but what we don't know and can't see from the TV angle is if the hot WR made the read. The RB blocked. If the WR didn't make the read, Mark had no options. He had barely completed his drop when Howard was into him. The free runner came on a delay and was untouched.
    Last edited by CTJetsFanII; 08-11-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Agreed...but what we don't know and can't see from the TV angle is if the hot WR made the read. The RB blocked. If the WR didn't make the read, Mark had no options. He had barely completed his drop when Howard was into him. The free runner came on a delay and was untouched.
    Fair enough ... Maybe someone with nfl rewind coaches view can chime in.

That would be interesting to see. Other than one short throw (grounding out of the pocket), I thought he looked ok. Had the White drop...scrambled for a first down when needed and I think he was 4 of 6.

That would be interesting to see. Other than one short throw (grounding out of the pocket), I thought he looked ok. Had the White drop...scrambled for a first down when needed and I think he was 4 of 6.
    Yes ... But total yards from scrimmage .... I believe was 9 ! Both QBs suffered bad drops.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 08-11-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I think Demario Davis will answer the covering the RB question.
    That would mean Rex has benched Scott. Scott looked slow again last night. What will it take for Rex to sit him more?

Yes ... But total yards from scrimmage .... I believe was 9 ! Both QBs suffered bad drops.
    You might be right, but total yards from scrimmage factors in the running game and sacks, no? If that's the case, we're probably both in agreement that the 1st team running game was awful and he was sacked twice in about 12 plays.
    My whole point is the OL (and maybe the WRs) was the problem....not Sanchez.
    Last edited by CTJetsFanII; 08-11-2012 at 06:09 PM.

I don't believe that is available in the preseason. Only the regular season.

need blocking te really bad

It's definitely a problem. Moreso now than at any time last season IMO. Yes, your impatience is a common issue that many fans have with the team.

When you see this happening, it makes me think Tanny is an idiot when it comes to the OL. Remember, this is not his first time f*cking things up with the OL. Everyone remembers the Pete Kendall fiasco.

If Tanny ends getting fired any time soon, many fans will point to this as one of the main reasons.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Brick is beginning to scare me.
    Beginning to? You're just beginning to watch him closely now.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Sanchez was sacked on the first 3rd down of the first preseason game.

It's absolutely amazing that one of the biggest problems from last season, a problem that even the most casual uninformed fan knows about, still does not seem to have been fixed.
    Dude, I felt that way after the '10 AFCC disaster, that it had to be fixed, no way they'd overlook it.

Then Week One against Dallas … Mark's first snap of '11 … KABOOM! ... DeMarcus Ware.

Now, at Cinci on Friday Sanchez was sacked on both drives.

SACK 1: 3rd & 8.

Slauson, Mangold, and Moore took on two Bengals. That made them short a blocker immediately.

Austin Howard and Brick contained their guys on the outside, Powell picked up LB Thomas Howard.

Maualuga delayed and danced in untouched as no Jet was free to block.

In essence, nobody physically failed their blocks; the OL was outsmarted.

SACK 2: 2nd & 8.

Cumberland got outplayed by LB Lawson, but had he sealed the edge, LB Muckelroy ran in untouched kamikaze and would've made the kill anyway.

Sanchez was lucky, perhaps. Again, Jets outsmarted.

_
    Last edited by jetrider; 08-11-2012 at 08:17 PM.

I don't get the Sanchez recognizing blitz argument. You know in preseason games, ESPECIALLY the 1st one, there is no pre-planning at all. No film study or anything. So how is Mark supposed to figure out their "vanilla" defense if he doesn't know their tendencies?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Beginning to? You're just beginning to watch him closely now.

Dude, I felt that way after the '10 AFCC disaster, that it had to be fixed, no way they'd overlook it.

Then Week One against Dallas Mark's first snap of '11 KABOOM! ... DeMarcus Ware.

Now, at Cinci on Friday Sanchez was sacked on both drives.

SACK 1: 3rd & 8.

Slauson, Mangold, and Moore took on two Bengals. That made them short a blocker immediately.

Austin Howard and Brick contained their guys on the outside, Powell picked up LB Thomas Howard.

Maualuga delayed and danced in untouched as no Jet was free to block.

In essence, nobody physically failed their blocks; the OL was outsmarted.

SACK 2: 2nd & 8.

Cumberland got outplayed by LB Lawson, but had he sealed the edge, LB Muckelroy ran in untouched kamikaze and would've made the kill anyway.

Sanchez was lucky, perhaps. Again, Jets outsmarted.

_
    I havent watched again, but if those are the correct scenarios, sack 1 goes to Sanchez and the WR and sack 2 I remember Cumberland got flat out beat.

For a team that faces so much blitzing in practice its a shame they still seem to be struggling with it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

When you have to explain to people that the QB has to recognize the blitz and that's one of the issues with a young QB, you should realize that you're in trouble arguing the point.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    I havent watched again, but if those are the correct scenarios, sack 1 goes to Sanchez and the WR and sack 2 I remember Cumberland got flat out beat.

For a team that faces so much blitzing in practice its a shame they still seem to be struggling with it.

1. You have no idea what you're talking about. Sanchez barely had time to plant, got hit as soon as he dropped back.

2. I said Cumberland got beat. But Cumberland couldn't have prevented Muckelroy, only Lawson.

Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    1. You have no idea what you're talking about. Sanchez barely had time to plant, got hit as soon as he dropped back.

2. I said Cumberland got beat. But Cumberland couldn't have prevented Muckelroy, only Lawson.
    #1. yep, Mark had no time. Don't know if there's a specific terminology for it, but the "delayed blitz" wasn't like the LB sat back there for 5 seconds before coming in. He didn't show blitz prior to the snap. Ball was snapped, about 1/4 second later, he fired in. As you said, Slauson and company were tied up in blocks. When they go back and look at it, they might say that Slauson was a bit out of position and should have picked it up. That's a personal opinion though.

To describe it, the defender being blocked by Slauson and Mangold was on Slauson's right, so he was kind of turned towards the sideline. LB swung around and came right up through on Slauson's left, and I don't think Slauson ever saw him.

Again, it's opinion, but perhaps Slauson shouldn't have turned while helping on Mangold's block. If he hadn't, he would have been free to pick up the blitz.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    One of my biggest fears is that our OLine will play so poorly that it becomes difficult to even evaluate the play of the QBs or see if Powell is progressing. Sanchez was sacked on the first 3rd down of the first preseason game. (I guess it's better than on the first play of Week 1 like last year vs. Dallas). Our best offense was when Tebow was forced to scramble.

It's absolutely amazing that one of the biggest problems from last season, a problem that even the most casual uninformed fan knows about, still does not seem to have been fixed.

A late July swing for the fences with an injured former 1st rounder in Otah? That was the attempt to fix a problem we've known about for a year???

I'm sure all will be solved in the next 3 weeks or with the return of Hunter.

#frustration

#sucked_into_pfailage
    I talked about this last year, when Moore was still recovering from surgery and Turner went down, I talked about going after Leonard Davis for some depth and I was hammered for it and told the Jets front office knows far more then me and that it was too early to panic.

Granted Davis may not have been the ideal solution but a body with plenty of starting experience would have been a good addition last year and we could have gave him a year and watched how he performed, if he sucked then you cut him in the off-season and move on, the fact that they didn't even try was completely nauseating for me as an avid fan.

The problem of of our lack of quality depth along the O-line still exists and has not been addressed with any kind of urgency which is pretty scary to me. We want to run the football and have a productive offense and we can't even keep our QB upright.

The last person to really address the O-Line was Mangini when he drafted Brick & Mangold in the first round back in 06.

I love Rex but his only real attempt to address the O-line was drafting Vlad in the 2nd round 3 years ago and he has been a trainwreck so far. We drafted Robert Griffin this year, we'll see what he has to offer, if anything, but he is a rookie and unproven and I really don't believe Hunter is the answer, he was horrible enough last year that I don't see how one off-season is going to make him that much better, if at all.

Tannenbaum, Rex & Woody need to realize that this offense is going nowhere near where they would like it to if they don't shore up this offensive line and get some real depth - and I mean REAL depth not a bunch of UDFA's & practice squad scrubs, that's not the answer - see Colin Baxter stepping in for an injured Nick Mangold last season. They need to figure out a way to acquire a couple of quality - O-Lineman, or at least one anyway, with starting experience that could step in and be a productive starter if need be.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 08-12-2012 at 03:32 AM.