Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Offensive Line play will make it hard to evaluate anyone else on O

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I talked about this last year, when Moore was still recovering from surgery and Turner went down, I talked about going after Leonard Davis for some depth and I was hammered for it and told the Jets front office knows far more then me and that it was too early to panic.

Granted Davis may not have been the ideal solution but a body with plenty of starting experience would have been a good addition last year and we could have gave him a year and watched how he performed, if he sucked then you cut him in the off-season and move on, the fact that they didn't even try was completely nauseating for me as an avid fan.

The problem of of our lack of quality depth along the O-line still exists and has not been addressed with any kind of urgency which is pretty scary to me. We want to run the football and have a productive offense and we can't even keep our QB upright.

The last person to really address the O-Line was Mangini when he drafted Brick & Mangold in the first round back in 06.

I love Rex but his only real attempt to address the O-line was drafting Vlad in the 2nd round 3 years ago and he has been a trainwreck so far. We drafted Robert Griffin this year, we'll see what he has to offer, if anything, but he is a rookie and unproven and I really don't believe Hunter is the answer, he was horrible enough last year that I don't see how one off-season is going to make him that much better, if at all.

Tannenbaum, Rex & Woody need to realize that this offense is going nowhere near where they would like it to if they don't shore up this offensive line and get some real depth - and I mean REAL depth not bunch of UDFA's & practice squad scrubs. They need to figure out a way to acquire a couple of quality - O-Lineman, or at least one anyway.

Alternate theory. From what I gathered in camp so far, the Jet's have been shifting Oline guys all over the place, giving guys reps/practice/experience with the #1 line.

over the next couple of weeks, that will decrease and the core of the line will get more time and more reps together to gel hopefully.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Alternate theory. From what I gathered in camp so far, the Jet's have been shifting Oline guys all over the place, giving guys reps/practice/experience with the #1 line.

over the next couple of weeks, that will decrease and the core of the line will get more time and more reps together to gel hopefully.
    That's a very optimistic theory....not impossible - but not probable either.....time will tell...

That being said, I am not comfortable or satisfied with just standing pat.....
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 08-12-2012 at 03:28 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Problem is that good QBs recognize the blitz pre-snap ... Sanchez did not do a good job at this last night ... And it was against a vanilla defense.

He should have burned them on that blitz with a quick throw to his hot receiver/RB.
    Right. That wasn't a realistic possibility on either occasion.

I agree Brick had a solid game of pass protection but he only played for two drives. Less than 8 minutes.

It's troubling how opposing Ds make QB sacks look so easy when they play us.

Jets D makes it look so laborious.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post

They are learning a new scheme and that will take time.

The jets transition to a more power game does not happen in one off season.

In 2009 the pats decided to revamp the D as the team got old and slow, since then they have been moving to a 4-3 base and this will be the first year they run more plays from a 4-3 than a 3-4. Only one Dlineman and one lb remain from the 08 team. Significant changes in implementing a new philosophy do not occur over nite.

Give them 2 years to make the transition. When mangini came aboard it took a little time to revert back to the 3-4 after a few years under Edwards. Do not be surprised that in two years Mangold is the only Starter left on the Oline similar to Wilfork on the pats Dline
    Last edited by patman; 08-12-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    They are learning a new scheme and that will take time.

The jets transition to a more power game does not happen in one off season.

In 2009 the pats decided to revamp the D as the team got old and slow, since then they have been moving to a 4-3 base and this will be the first year they run more plays from a 4-3 than a 3-4. Only one Dlineman and one lb remain from the 08 team. Significant changes in implementing a new philosophy do not occur over nite.

Give them 2 years to make the transition. When mangini came aboard it took a little time to revert back to the 3-4 after a few years under Edwards.
    I understand transitioning to a new scheme and I can see that in the running game but pass protection is pass protection, regardless of the scheme.

You can either do it or you can't.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand transitioning to a new scheme and I can see that in the running game but pass protection is pass protection, regardless of the scheme.

I agree 100% ... However , after watching the game again ... I really feel that a blocking TE is what we need ... Brick looked good, Vlad looked good, Slauson was pretty good .... And they were the question marks. It was blitz pickup by the back, or TE at got us killed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree 100% ... However , after watching the game again ... I really feel that a blocking TE is what we need ... Brick looked good, Vlad looked good, Slauson was pretty good .... And they were the question marks. It was blitz pickup by the back, or TE at got us killed.
    On one of the sacks, it kind of would have been difficult, actually impossible, for the RB to pick up both guys that came through.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Kind of thought that man and ZBS applied to pass protection as well ??

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Jets fans are under the assumption that mark needs a clean pocket for 5 seconds. In the NFL no one gets a clean pocket for 2 seconds. He needs to recognize the situation and throw it. If the defense is bringing 6 or 7 then someone is open. Or just throw it away. This is not new behavior for Mark. Yes certain individuals lost their matchups like Slauson and Cumby but Mark needs to see the blitz and have the hot read ready to go. Bang bang it's gotta be out of there.
    I mostly agree.

The OL is clearly a problem but how often do we see Sanchez tuck the ball down and dance around in the pocket at the first sign of pressure?

The kid looks completely flustered as soon as someone gets even remotely close to him.

Christ, Andrew Luck just saw the first action of his pro career and looked totally unphased with pressure in his face.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Jets fans are under the assumption that mark needs a clean pocket for 5 seconds. In the NFL no one gets a clean pocket for 2 seconds. He needs to recognize the situation and throw it. If the defense is bringing 6 or 7 then someone is open. Or just throw it away. This is not new behavior for Mark. Yes certain individuals lost their matchups like Slauson and Cumby but Mark needs to see the blitz and have the hot read ready to go. Bang bang it's gotta be out of there.
    This is 100% correct. See any game with jay cutler in it over the last 3 years. Sanchez has decades compared to what cutler gets and our o-line is 100 times better.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I mostly agree.

The OL is clearly a problem but how often do we see Sanchez tuck the ball down and dance around in the pocket at the first sign of pressure?

The kid looks completely flustered as soon as someone gets even remotely close to him.

Christ, Andrew Luck just saw the first action of his pro career and looked totally unphased with pressure in his face.
    Don't know what this year holds, but against Cincy, it wasn't just a "dirty" pocket that Sanchez dealt with on those 2 sacks. It was a completely collapsed pocket.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly don't think he recognized any of the blitzes last night.
    I know right. When I watched the replay you could see in the first play where he got sacked that they were going to send the house. Sanchez failed to recognize it and should have changed the play to some kind of dump off screen pass or a short quick slant or a draw. something other than dropping back to get hammered. He needs to see that stuff. It is a concern for sure