Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post game thoughts - Jets/Bengals

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Why? It's August 11 not March 1. It's not like a few adjustments and a scrap-heap player cut from another team is going to sprinkle magic fairy dust on the offense and make them a scoring threat. They've had 6 weeks to get their act together and nothing we've seen in scrimmages, practices, or live action has shown anything different.

The Jets are exactly what many of us said they were: A defense that's good but aging, an offense that has not improved from last year, and a head coach that can't get the most out of his players.

SAR I
    Oh yea, its so obvious after the FIRST preseason game, you're right, cancel the season....Cmon man its way too early for all this nonsense, preseason games means nothing, Browning Nagle went 5-0 once, the starters last night were losing 3-0 at the end of the first qtr, after that was all backups...take a valium

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    same as the 5-11 one of YOU said the Jets would be in 2009
    Oh, you're saying that in the prediction business I'm not 100%? Absolutely, made a mistake there. However...

We started hotter than anyone thought, were the surprise team of the NFL, even beat the Patriots for the first time in half a decade, and opened 3-0.

Then we played as predicted, went on an ugly 1-6 stretch, were dead at 4-6.

And then we got a miracle, finished 5-1 with the Colts and Bengals handing us Christmas presents.

I was very happy to be wrong that year. Unfortunately, nothing is going to do that this year. We have less talent than that '09 squad and a head coach that no longer inspires them. Note that on those rare occassions when I'm wrong, I stick around. The Blind Homer Cult heads for the hills, thinks we'll forget their nonsense when they return in the summer pronouncing This Is The Best Jets Team In The Last 30 Years.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was the reverse jinx. It worked, too. You aren't too sharp now, are you.

SAR I
    Do you still have that lucky mouse stuffed away in a desk drawer somewhere? We may actually need the "I'm afraid" post in August rather than December!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    James Walker ‏@JamesWalkerESPN
    Four AFC East teams scored just 26 combined points in first week of the preseason. No division team scored more than seven points.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Oh yea, its so obvious after the FIRST preseason game, you're right, cancel the season....Cmon man its way too early for all this nonsense, preseason games means nothing, Browning Nagle went 5-0 once, the starters last night were losing 3-0 at the end of the first qtr, after that was all backups...take a valium
    Relax, take a breath.

Of course its too early to go crazy, but nothing we saw yesterday makes us think anything is changing from last year. I could list them all, but you saw them. Can't run, no time to throw, forcing balls to WR's who can't get open, LB's being raped by TE's, can only put up 6 points in a glorified practice.

What we wanted to see were a few nuggets of change on offense. We didn't. Tim Tebow might be the perfect QB for this team if the goal is to keep the score at 3-3 late in the fourth quarter and have one single drive to win an otherwise boring game.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good post Ray, I too see the glass as half full. Unfortunately it's ONLY half full. Don't let the pessimists get to you. They'd rather relish their being right than root for the team

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Do you still have that lucky mouse stuffed away in a desk drawer somewhere? We may actually need the "I'm afraid" post in August rather than December!

Can't do that anymore. The Blind Homer Cult were dumb enough to think I was serious. Besides, this is the best roster we've had in the last 30 years so why worry?

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Good post Ray, I too see the glass as half full. Unfortunately it's ONLY half full. Don't let the pessimists get to you. They'd rather relish their being right than root for the team
    That's insulting.

No Jets fan wants the team to lose. What you're missing is that no Jets fan wants to be ridiculed by other Jets fans for being honest. Ray and his pile-on gang of optimistic bullies run around like they're the ones in the right when they're the ones in the wrong. Don't be fooled.

We don't want to be right; we just want them to leave us alone.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Relax, take a breath.

Of course its too early to go crazy, but nothing we saw yesterday makes us think anything is changing from last year. I could list them all, but you saw them. Can't run, no time to throw, forcing balls to WR's who can't get open, LB's being raped by TE's, can only put up 6 points in a glorified practice.

What we wanted to see were a few nuggets of change on offense. We didn't. Tim Tebow might be the perfect QB for this team if the goal is to keep the score at 3-3 late in the fourth quarter and have one single drive to win an otherwise boring game.

SAR I
    I am relaxed, I just don't put much stock in one qtr of starter vanilla football action, sure we have question marks but we'll know more after the next 2. I do value your opinion, tho and this year may end up being a disaster, who knows? It also may not, this team may end up surprising all of us with a great year, its happened before.
    Last edited by Mohegangreen; 08-11-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you'll have to pull your annual "run away and hide instead of facing the consequences of my stupid predictions" move much earlier this year.

Since you won't be around in October, let me wish you a very happy Halloween.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's insulting.

No Jets fan wants the team to lose. What you're missing is that no Jets fan wants to be ridiculed by other Jets fans for being honest. Ray and his pile-on gang of optimistic bullies run around like they're the ones in the right when they're the ones in the wrong. Don't be fooled.

SAR I
    Didn't intend to insult. If it's not being right then what is it? The only thing you get by being uber negative is the satisfaction of being right if they fail. If you hold no hope then why be a fan? Is it some sort of defense mechanism to ease the pain if they fail, as in "Geez they suck but at least I was right"? Do you bet against the team as well so you win SOMETHING?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I am relaxed, I just don't put much stock in one qtr of starter vanilla football action, sure we have question marks but we'll know more after the next 2. I do value your opinion, tho and this year may end up being a disaster, who knows? It also may not, this team may end up surprising all of us with a great year, its happened before.
    +1

We all want the best. Six points against the Bengals, ugh.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Didn't intend to insult. If it's not being right then what is it? The only thing you get by being uber negative is the satisfaction of being right if they fail. If you hold no hope then why be a fan? Is it some sort of defense mechanism to ease the pain if they fail, as in "Geez they suck but at least I was right"? Do you bet against the team as well so you win SOMETHING?
    It's a discussion forum, the object being to freely speak your feelings amongst other fans who should be open to all points of view.

This isn't a "who's right" contest. I don't want to be right. I don't think you get that. I live to be wrong, in fact. I'd love nothing more than to be tarred and feathered in December as we cruise to a 14-2 record to lose the division on a tiebreaker with the Patriots. I just don't see it happening.

That said, the one fun thing this depressing Saturday is watching the Blind Homers eat crow. Maybe it'll shut them up for a week, let the rest of us have a decent conversation or two.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before last night, vanilla was my favorite ice cream.

What exactly do you think our "non vanilla" offense is going to look like? Rocky Road?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    2009 Preseason

Final score Team record
    1 August 14 7:00 pm St. Louis Rams L 2320 01 Giants Stadium
    2 August 24 8:00 pm at Baltimore Ravens L 2423 02 M & T Bank Stadium
    3 August 29 8:00 pm at New York Giants W 2725 12 Giants Stadium
    4 September 3 7:00 pm Philadelphia Eagles W 3827 22 Giants Stadium

2010 Preseason

1 August 16 8:00 pm New York Giants L 1631 01 New Meadowlands Stadium
    2 August 21 8:00 pm at Carolina Panthers W 93 11 Bank of America
    3 August 27 7:00 pm Washington Redskins L 1116 12 New Meadowlands Stadium
    4 September 2 7:30 pm at Philadelphia Eagles W 2117 22 Lincoln

2011 Preseason

1 August 15 8:00 p.m. EDT at Houston Texans L 1620 01 Reliant Stadium
    2 August 21 7:00 p.m. EDT Cincinnati Bengals W 277 11 MetLife Stadium
    3 August 29 7:00 p.m. EDT at New York Giants W 173 21 MetLife
    4 September 1 7:30 p.m. EDT Philadelphia Eagles L 1424 22 MetLife

Whoa that was a stellar 2010 preseason....Yet, that team went 11-5

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a discussion forum, the object being to freely speak your feelings amongst other fans who should be open to all points of view.

This isn't a "who's right" contest. I don't want to be right. I don't think you get that. I live to be wrong, in fact. I'd love nothing more than to be tarred and feathered in December as we cruise to a 14-2 record to lose the division on a tiebreaker with the Patriots. I just don't see it happening.

That said, the one fun thing this depressing Saturday is watching the Blind Homers eat crow. Maybe it'll shut them up for a week, let the rest of us have a decent conversation or two.

SAR I
    Fair enough, and I'm open to all views as long as it doesn't get to the point of trolling. I understand the concern and most of the points are valid. However this is a "any given Sunday" league, therefore there is really no reason for me to be pessimistic (or as some claim realistic). If we make the playoffs I'll be happy, win the division elated, go to the SB besides myself. So don't worry I won't have the slightest notion to call you or anyone out, or make them eat crow.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    2009 Preseason

Final score Team record
    1 August 14 7:00 pm St. Louis Rams L 2320 01 Giants Stadium
    2 August 24 8:00 pm at Baltimore Ravens L 2423 02 M & T Bank Stadium
    3 August 29 8:00 pm at New York Giants W 2725 12 Giants Stadium
    4 September 3 7:00 pm Philadelphia Eagles W 3827 22 Giants Stadium

2010 Preseason

1 August 16 8:00 pm New York Giants L 1631 01 New Meadowlands Stadium
    2 August 21 8:00 pm at Carolina Panthers W 93 11 Bank of America
    3 August 27 7:00 pm Washington Redskins L 1116 12 New Meadowlands Stadium
    4 September 2 7:30 pm at Philadelphia Eagles W 2117 22 Lincoln

2011 Preseason

1 August 15 8:00 p.m. EDT at Houston Texans L 1620 01 Reliant Stadium
    2 August 21 7:00 p.m. EDT Cincinnati Bengals W 277 11 MetLife Stadium
    3 August 29 7:00 p.m. EDT at New York Giants W 173 21 MetLife
    4 September 1 7:30 p.m. EDT Philadelphia Eagles L 1424 22 MetLife

Whoa that was a stellar 2010 preseason....Yet, that team went 11-5

Cpt. Obvious, we all know the results mean nothing.

I think the overall concern is with how poorly some of our starters played. Not the final score.

To be honest, the rookies and young players were the bright spots. I was very pleased with how most of them played.

But there were some issues that we had last season that look like they haven't been improved upon. Blocking on the edges and covering RBs and TEs. And those issues can't be chalked up to "vanilla" play calling. Those are talent issues.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Cpt. Obvious, we all know the results mean nothing.

I think the overall concern is with how poorly some of our starters played. Not the final score.

To be honest, the rookies and young players were the bright spots. I was very pleased with how most of them played.

But there were some issues that we had last season that look like they haven't been improved upon. Blocking on the edges and covering RBs and TEs. And those issues can't be chalked up to "vanilla" play calling. Those are talent issues.
    Cpt. always partly cloudy

And I'm sure there were issues in the 2010 preseason too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's insulting.

SAR I
    You want to be left alone, yet you came and posted in his thread? Huh!? Oh that's right, how else can you get attention?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Cpt. always partly cloudy

And I'm sure there were issues in the 2010 preseason too.

I made sure to include some positives in my post. Give me a little credit.

Of course there are issues every year. Not team is perfect. My problem is when the issues continue from one year to the next. Especially if those issues crippled your team the year before.