Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: Romney to pick VP tomorrow morning (Sat.)

  1. #1
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,568

    Romney to pick VP tomorrow morning (Sat.)

    And the rumblings are that it's Paul Ryan. If true, I like that, a lot. Young, dynamic, can connect with the conservative base and hopefully inject some excitement into the campaign. Good stuff. We'll see.

  2. #2
    Paul is a solid pick.

    Where'd you hear that by the way? Just curious...

  3. #3
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,568
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Paul is a solid pick.

    Where'd you hear that by the way? Just curious...
    Politico confirmed that the announcement will come tomorrow at 9AM (odd time and day for a pick btw).

    The Weekly Standard is saying they have a trustworthy source calling it Ryan.

  4. #4
    Can he pull Wisconsin? That would be great.

  5. #5
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Frequent Flyer View Post
    Can he pull Wisconsin? That would be great.
    +1, Wisconsin would be huge, and definitely doable between Ryan and the pro-Walker faction of voters.

    ABC news is now saying Ryan as well. Lock it up.

  6. #6
    Paul Ryan, Representative from Wisconsin's 1st District

    Life
    Co-sponsored the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act.

    Voted to amend the health care law so that no federal funds may be used to pay for any part of any healthcare plan that offers abortion coverage.

    Voted for the Abortion Pain Bill and the Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act.

    Voted to prohibit partial birth abortion.

    Marriage
    Voted for a resolution proposing a constitutional amendment that would define marriage as the union between one man and one woman.

    Voted against repealing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell.

    Religious liberty
    Voted for the Religious Liberty Protection Act of 1999.

    On the HHS mandate: “This is much, much bigger than about contraception. This is about religious freedom, First Amendment rights, and how this progressive philosophy of fungible rights of a living breathing constitution really clashes and collides with these core rights that we built our society and country around.”

    Embryonic life
    Voted against the Stem Cell Research Act of 2007, which would have required the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services to conduct and support research on embryonic stem cells.

    Voted in favor of developing methods to produce stem cells without using human embryos.

    School choice
    Voted in favor for school vouchers in Washington, D.C.


  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    3,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Politico confirmed that the announcement will come tomorrow at 9AM (odd time and day for a pick btw).

    The Weekly Standard is saying they have a trustworthy source calling it Ryan.
    Very strange time for this kind of announcement, half the country is still asleep.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    7,232
    Better than Pawlenty and Portman snoozers, not as good as Rubio/Martinez..as far as winning goes, imo. Hopefully chicks dig the young guy.

  9. #9
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    8,253
    Great pick. I was expecting Romney to overthink and screw up the VP nod.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,065
    Good choice, for as much as it doesn't matter too much.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Better than Pawlenty and Portman snoozers, not as good as Rubio/Martinez..as far as winning goes, imo. Hopefully chicks dig the young guy.
    This has nothing to do with chicks picking the young guy. IMO choosing Ryan was a move to make the campaign about the issues. . Ryan put together the budget blueprint that the GOP wants to implement. Who better to defend that plan against the left wing assault then its architect? is the most eloquent and informed when defending that plan The more recent bipartisan proposal eliminates the more controversial medicare voucher element. Politically he fires up the conservative base while not offending independents. i love the choice. Democrats will be licking their chops and busting out their "grandma off the cliff" campaign. I say bring it on. I think the contrast between the Ryan plan and the Democrats lack of any plan or direction will be stark.
    Last edited by chiefst2000; 08-11-2012 at 08:21 AM.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    7,232
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    This has nothing to do with chicks picking the young guy. IMO choosing Ryan was a move to make the campaign about the issues. . Ryan put together the budget blueprint that the GOP wants to implement. Who better to defend that plan against the left wing assault then its architect? is the most eloquent and informed when defending that plan The more recent bipartisan proposal eliminates the more controversial medicare voucher element. Politically he fires up the conservative base while not offending independents. i love the choice. Democrats will be licking their chops and busting out their "grandma off the cliff" campaign. I say bring it on. I think the contrast between the Ryan plan and the Democrats lack of any plan or direction will be stark.
    I hope you're right chiefs, I just don't see it. This does not help Mittens' electability, which is all that matters, right? Ryan is not a needle mover with independents, imo.

    I wanted Rubio...

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    I hope you're right chiefs, I just don't see it. This does not help Mittens' electability, which is all that matters, right? Ryan is not a needle mover with independents, imo.

    I wanted Rubio...
    Campaigns do their own internal polling.

    And I'm thinking that Romney selecting Ryan indicates that their internal polling shows that Romney has the margin to select Ryan over a safe pick like Rubio.

    In other words, the Romney internal polling tells them that Obama sucks so bad that they can select any VP candidate that they want.


  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    7,232
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post
    Campaigns do their own internal polling.

    And I'm thinking that Romney selecting Ryan indicates that their internal polling shows that Romney has the margin to select Ryan over a safe pick like Rubio.

    In other words, the Romney internal polling tells them that Obama sucks so bad that they can select any VP candidate that they want.

    Interesting point Albany. Glad Mittens corrected his gaffe...was a great speech and made him seem more human.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    Interesting point Albany. Glad Mittens corrected his gaffe...was a great speech and made him seem more human.
    The Republicans are going with two white guys? When Marco Rubio was available?

    Their internal polling data must tell them that Obama is doing horrible!!


  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    7,232
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post
    The Republicans are going with two white guys? When Marco Rubio was available?

    Their internal polling data must tell them that Obama is doing horrible!!

    Paul is knocking it out of the park. He's gonna kill Biden, and I think Mittens can beat Otelepromter also.

  17. #17
    Ryan is ok, conservative enough on the important things, fiscal and Government size/power. Too social/religious for me, but thats to be expectd.

    My concenr is this pick does nothing to help Romney win. The pick appeals only to those already squarely in the "was going to vote (R) anyway" party loyalist types. He has no appeal to moderates or independant voters, and won't get any with the (D) spin on his budget (dishobest though it is) and his social conservative views that are fast becomming outdated by most in the middle.

    It must be said, he's also a "boring white man". That won't help in an election more and more dominated by racial/gender divisions, women, gays, hispanics and blacks were all squarely in Obama's camp before, and will remain so now.

    I'm just suprised I guess, that Romney felt the need (in any form) to appeal to the base, given it's the base that always shows up to vote it's party loyalty, regardless of candidate. Base's don't win election, the great unwashed and undecided middle does....and more and more, women and hispanics do.

    End of the day, my prediction for Election 2012 hasn't changed. Obama wins. Ryan doesn't shift the needle by much when all is said and done and they don't win Wisconsin.

  18. #18
    ^^^ Boring? Not by any stretch...

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Ryan is ok, conservative enough on the important things, fiscal and Government size/power. Too social/religious for me, but thats to be expectd.

    My concenr is this pick does nothing to help Romney win. The pick appeals only to those already squarely in the "was going to vote (R) anyway" party loyalist types. He has no appeal to moderates or independant voters, and won't get any with the (D) spin on his budget (dishobest though it is) and his social conservative views that are fast becomming outdated by most in the middle.

    It must be said, he's also a "boring white man". That won't help in an election more and more dominated by racial/gender divisions, women, gays, hispanics and blacks were all squarely in Obama's camp before, and will remain so now.

    I'm just suprised I guess, that Romney felt the need (in any form) to appeal to the base, given it's the base that always shows up to vote it's party loyalty, regardless of candidate. Base's don't win election, the great unwashed and undecided middle does....and more and more, women and hispanics do.

    End of the day, my prediction for Election 2012 hasn't changed. Obama wins. Ryan doesn't shift the needle by much when all is said and done and they don't win Wisconsin.
    I don't know about that, Fish!

    Romney selected Ryan because he felt that he had the latitude to do so. Otherwise it would have been Rubio.


  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,475
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    ^^^ Boring? Not by any stretch...
    His base already considers him a rock start but saying that Ryan has more charisma than Romney isn't saying much. There are independents/moderates who will be wary of his religious influenced stances despite supporting his calls for fiscal accountabilty.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us