Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Areas that the Jets front office failed to address

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    in an odd way, it's good to see this happening, b/c it's the preseason. it's one thing to look good in cortland against the jets pitiful offense. but against a decent team with real weapons and a line that can block for the qb, they were easily exposed. and you can't use conditioning, injuries or inexperience as excuses. the question is, if it keeps happening, will they make adjustments or keep trotting these slower guys out there and not be able to get off the field on 3rd downs like last year?
    I dont think so. Rex showed last year that he was willing to pull Scott on passing situations. I hope Davis develops quickly and Sapp gets healthy, because watching Scott and Pace run around in coverage is a joke. I am glad Scott does so much talking in practice because in an actual game he is useless.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You aren't going to get much argument with me about Scott and Thomas. But I do not think Pace is finished. He is still very good against the run. And he is an OLB. He shouldn't have to cover as much as we are asking him to. Our run defense would be very poor without him out there. Obviously he is not the player he once was.

I think we basically ruined Bart Scott by making him lose the weight. And I can say this b.c I first-guessed it when it was first reported. Losing 10 pounds is not going to help you cover. It is not going to make you THAT much faster. He is built to move forwards. It is what it is.

We have one player on offense that MIGHT scare some opposing coordinators. That is Holmes. But all they have to do is double-team him and then out offense goes into auto check-down mode.

Keep neglecting the offense like it doesn't exist in the draft and this is what happens.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good post:

Offensive Line: Not only did they not improve the OL, they lost the best backup OL to free agency. For some reason, they think that GOOD OL are available as UDFA's or after getting cut by other teams.

Quarterback: f Sanchize goes down, the Jets are screwed. Even if you think Tebow has value as a wildcat QB, he is clearly a below average pocket passer. IThere is no reason that they could not have brought in a retread to add a little depth at this position.
    - McElroy has a questionable arm and no experience.
    - Simms got kicked out of one college and performed "ok at best" at a second college.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Keep neglecting the offense like it doesn't exist in the draft and this is what happens.
    exactly. drafting hill was nice but not enough. when was the last time they draft a tight end? when was the last time they drafted a true tackle? it's no coincidence these are the two glaring holes on offense. wr isn't bad when holmes and kerley are in. mcknight has enough speed and good enough hands to be effective in the passing game. kerley and mcknight are what you'd hope to get from later round picks. maybe they need to use ducasse as the TE, at least he's big and can move someone.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Good post:

Offensive Line: Not only did they not improve the OL, they lost the best backup OL to free agency. For some reason, they think that GOOD OL are available as UDFA's or after getting cut by other teams.

Quarterback: f Sanchize goes down, the Jets are screwed. Even if you think Tebow has value as a wildcat QB, he is clearly a below average pocket passer. IThere is no reason that they could not have brought in a retread to add a little depth at this position.
    - McElroy has a questionable arm and no experience.
    - Simms got kicked out of one college and performed "ok at best" at a second college.
    How many QBs do you think you can have on a team?

A better question is this:

Would you rather have Tebow and Wayne Hunter at almost 6 million dollars of cap space, or have Eric Winston and Drew Stanton at 6 million dollars??

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    this defense will get burned on short and medium passes as long as thomas, pace and scott are in there. harris aside, that has to be the slowest lb trio in the nfl. it's not the d-line, it's not the cbs and it may not even be the safeties anymore.
    Yup.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    exactly. drafting hill was nice but not enough. when was the last time they draft a tight end? when was the last time they drafted a true tackle? it's no coincidence these are the two glaring holes on offense. wr isn't bad when holmes and kerley are in. mcknight has enough speed and good enough hands to be effective in the passing game. kerley and mcknight are what you'd hope to get from later round picks. maybe they need to use ducasse as the TE, at least he's big and can move someone.
    Anthony Becht I think.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The most troubling aspect of the first-team offense’s performance was the pressure the offensive line allowed. Sanchez was sacked twice and badly pressured on another play.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...#ixzz23Et4RXjq

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Anthony Becht I think.
    Dustin Keller

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, so now the FO is being criticized for NOT drafting Tight Ends....

Im curious about all the Oline bashing and our lack of addressing OT, was Howard the problem last night? Because i saw 2 sacks come from the other side, and saw Howard open a nice hole for greene on his only good run?

Blocking TE is a big issue for us, but WTF, is that how critical we are getting of our GM? Should we have passed on hill for dwayne allen to shore up that 2nd TE spot?

We will find a blocking TE, even if we need to make a move and trade a late round pick for someone. Personally, and i wrote a thread about this a month ago, I would over pay for fasano with a 4th round pick today.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

We will find a blocking TE, even if we need to make a move and trade a late round pick for someone. Personally, and i wrote a thread about this a month ago, I would over pay for fasano with a 4th round pick today.
    As long as his name isn't Matt Mulligan.......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, so now the FO is being criticized for NOT drafting Tight Ends....

Im curious about all the Oline bashing and our lack of addressing OT, was Howard the problem last night? Because i saw 2 sacks come from the other side, and saw Howard open a nice hole for greene on his only good run?

Blocking TE is a big issue for us, but WTF, is that how critical we are getting of our GM? Should we have passed on hill for dwayne allen to shore up that 2nd TE spot?

for a team that wants to ram the ball down everyone's throats, i would have expected some sort of emphasis on drafting the kind of blockers who could execute it. instead, they go around saying ground and pound, but keep drafting defense in the first round and trying to fill critical blocking roles with journeymen. that's why they can't run the ball well, and it's why they're having trouble protecting sanchez. in the first quarter of their first preseason game, sanchez was sacked twice and nearly sacked at least 1 other time, and the worst part of this reality is that it wasn't even hunter's fault.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    for a team that wants to ram the ball down everyone's throats, i would have expected some sort of emphasis on drafting the kind of blockers who could execute it. instead, they go around saying ground and pound, but keep drafting defense in the first round and trying to fill critical blocking roles with journeymen. that's why they can't run the ball well, and it's why they're having trouble protecting sanchez. in the first quarter of their first preseason game, sanchez was sacked twice and nearly sacked at least 1 other time, and the worst part of this reality is that it wasn't even hunter's fault.
    So Im asking....what should we have done differently?

Was there a lineman/TE available that we passed on for no apparent reason? Especially in the draft?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Was there a lineman/TE available that we passed on for no apparent reason? Especially in the draft?
    I will ask this question again:

Would you rather have Tebow and Wayne Hunter at almost 6 million dollars of cap space, or have Eric Winston and Drew Stanton at 6 million dollars??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't know abou the 2012 draft. but as an overall philosophy, i would have expected the front office to obtain players who are best suited to execute the system. they did it on defense. they traded for cromartie, drafted wilson, signed scott and leonard, drafted wilkerson, coples and ellis. all these acquisitions are consistent with their defensive strategy.

by contrast, they replaced woody with hunter, hartsock with mulligan, and only drafted 1 viable o-lineman i can remember since the mangold/brick draft. it's not a coincidence that so many on this board are complaining about a lack of o-line depth and no blocking TE, and the fact they haven't drafted these positions in at least a few years. i like their 2012 draft, though. drafting BAP every year is the way to go.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Its early blah, blah, blah . . . You don't need to say its early to appease the homers. Its phucking late. Early is March, early is the draft. Some people think we are going to magically sign some veterans and fix the problems.

We have the same exact issues we had last year. Can't run outside. Weak pass blocking on the edges.

And thats just the offense.

The defense still can't cover the TEs and RBs.

And the fact that we were vanilla yesterday doesn't matter. It wasn't our scheme that got beat, it was our players who got beat. Mano-a-mano. Coaching is very important but sooner or later it comes down to talent. And the talent on this roster has eroded every year since 2010.

I definitely agree with everything said and they also still cannot throw deep. It seems like the issues from last season are right there front and center to start this season. I'll give them a couple more preseason games before I really start evaluating but as of right now it looks like the FO did an awful job at addressing critical areas of need.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    How many QBs do you think you can have on a team?

A better question is this:

No. I would not have traded for Tebow. Stanton was a better plan b/c he might actually develop into a starting NFL QB. Definitely has the arm. If they keep Stanton, their QB position looks like this:
    1) Sanchize - Starter
    2) Stanton - Backup, potential starter if Sanchize falters or gets hurt.
    3) 3rd Guy - this guy is traditionally a project or a guy you keep on the practice squad. While I don't believe in McElroy or Simms (yet), they would be fine in this role. Who knows, they could develop.

When they went with Tebow, they F'd up the entire structure of the QB position.
    1) Sanchize - Starter
    2) Tebow - backup who cannot throw well enough to be a starter in the NFL, but does bring Wildcat options.
    3) 3rd Guy - with Tebow unable to be counted on as a pocket passer (and with Sanchize's issues), this guy cannot be a complete project (McElroy, Simms, etc.). He needs to be a guy with an arm and some experience.

BTW - Not a Tebow hater. I just don't think he fits on a team with a starter who is NOT a superstar.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Depth on the O-Line, I have been complaining about this since last off-season.....

O-line has been sorely neglected by Tannenbaum for 2 straight off-seasons now.....

Hopefully it isn't too late we could use at least 2 more capable O-Lineman with some starting experience....
    There is more then HUNTER that is wrong with the Jets OL. BRICK looked shaky last year and sucked last night too. Hunter gets all the ink but its about time that BRICK gets his feet held to the fire as well! I have mixed feelings about the play of AUSTIN HOWARD. I actually thought he showed promise.

But the sacks came about due to very poor blocking by our non-blocking TEs and even CONNER sucked at it last night.

TARREN LlOYD is a BLOCKING TE currently on the team. He was # 43. He was signed because he is a ferocious blocker. Did he even play? Epps is another TE that can block. # 83 hardly played. Cumberland and Killer0Keller played most of the night and whiffed on their blocking assignments.

Our backup RB Powell also whiffed on several blocks and looked bad when doing so. For all the fuss in camp, he is not better then Joe McKnight!

Its time to end the Matt Kroul experiment! We need more competant OL backups. Kroul is a waste of space at this time. BITONTI's guy FRED KOLOTO sucked in plain english! Robert Griffin ( our draftee) was merely OK. He needs much more experience at RT. he simply is not ready. I thought he was an OG any way! Heyer showed some promise I thought. That brings up another point! All night long they moved players around. One minute a guy was playing ROG; the next he was playing RT. I do not see how that is helpful to the young guys. But they get paid to know what they are doing so I will defer.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 08-11-2012 at 08:39 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I will ask this question again:

While I don't believe tebow and hunter account forl $6 milion, I am 1000% in agreement with you here as I don't want tebow here and would rather have used his money on the line.

I just think the FO takes a lot of unnecessary blame. We had an old slow defense last year and needed to retool it. We also desperately needed playmakers on offense, so what did we do? We got what look like 2 excellent, fast defensive players for the front 7 and a potential game breaking WR in the first 3 rounds this year. Thats a good job.

Could we have better spent the tebow money, yes definitely and I believe there is time here to make a move, specifically if fasano is indeed available. We have some cap room and can also cut eric smith for 2million more in savings....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    As long as his name isn't Matt Mulligan.......
    we allegedly have such a beast! His name is TARREN LLOYD. 6ft7 and 258. He is a blocking TE from Utah State. I failed to see #43 in the game when it mattered. That's on coaching! Cumberlannd was horrible when trying to block! Killer-Keller ditto! The terminator at FB showed very little, Many rushes came right up the gut over him!

Jets Sign Blocking Tight End Tarren Lloyd
    May 30th, 2012 9:39 pm
    I’ve learned tonight that the Jets have signed Tarren Lloyd, an undrafted free agent from Utah State.

Pro Football Weekly conducted a scouting report on Lloyd before the draft.

Big, in-line blocking tight end with good foot speed who helped pave the way for one of the nation’s most productive rushing attacks. Former walk-on with limited career production, but understands positioning, generates movement in the run game and is a functional short receiver. Needs to get stronger.

For his career, Lloyd had 25 catches for 280 yards (11.2 ypc) with four TDs in playing 39 career games, with 16 career starts. If you recall, leading up to the draft, the Jets were very interested in Utah State University running back Robert Turbin and his backup Michael Smith. Thus, I’m sure the Jets watched a lot of film on them, and saw a lot of Lloyd. He was originally signed as an UDFA by the Panthers, but they cut him on May 16th, to make room for veteran tight end Joe Jon Finley.

Lloyd is a big kid. At (6-7, 258lbs.), He will likely compete with Brian Linthicum, Dedrick Epps and Hayden Smith for a roster spot.

Before Lloyd signed, the Jets roster stood at 90 players, the maximum. Thus, they will need to release a player in order to make room for Lloyd. Not sure who that will be, but stay tuned and we should have it for you shortly..