Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Areas that the Jets front office failed to address

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    While I don't believe tebow and hunter account forl $6 milion, I am 1000% in agreement with you here as I don't want tebow here and would rather have used his money on the line.

I just think the FO takes a lot of unnecessary blame. We had an old slow defense last year and needed to retool it. We also desperately needed playmakers on offense, so what did we do? We got what look like 2 excellent, fast defensive players for the front 7 and a potential game breaking WR in the first 3 rounds this year. Thats a good job.

Could we have better spent the tebow money, yes definitely and I believe there is time here to make a move, specifically if fasano is indeed available. We have some cap room and can also cut eric smith for 2million more in savings....
    Hunter and Tebow each account for about 2.75 million, you could of had Winston and Stanton and you would have still had a 4th round pick and picked up a guy like Bobby Massie(OT) or a guy like Orson Charles(TE). That could have been one, realistic move that could have made this team better. Eric Smith is not going to be cut, if he was going to be, he would have already.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 08-11-2012 at 09:07 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    This is not a doom and gloom post. I am not banking everything on just preseason game #1. This is a pure honest evaluation of the Jets roster.

BLOCKING TE

The Jets do not have one on the roster. If you are going to play smashmouth football. You can't have a roster loaded with receiving tight ends like the Jets do. You also get caught in a situation where your finesse TE's are asked to stay in and block. A recipe for disaster. It's a very ill conceived strategy to try and become a power football team and have NO blocking te's on the entire roster.

BACKUP CENTER

We went through this last year and the Jets have obviously not learned from their own mistakes. Jets went 0 and 3 after they lost Nick Mangold last season. They replaced him with a street free agent named Colin Baxter. That experiment failed and here we are in August of 2012 and the Jets are trying to force players to play center like Slauson and Schlauderaff.

VETERAN WIDE RECEIVER

I have approached this topic already on this board. There was a player that the Jets should have signed to help the Jets passing and run offense. Instead the Jets are going with an extremely raw rookie WR in Stephen Hill, a training room MVP in Chaz Schilens, and a bunch of inexperienced rookies and fringe NFL players at the WR position.

PUNTER

The Jets have addressed their kicker position by bringing in Josh Brown to compete with Nick Folk and both players are in a strong battle for that spot. After letting go of Steve Weatherford and replacing him with a below mediocre punter in T.J. Conley. The Jets failed to bring in some competition for Conley either through the draft or through free agency.

RIGHT TACKLE

Wayne Hunter was one of the league's worst starting right tackles in the league last season. The Jets failed to address this area either through free agency or the draft. An attempt was made to acquire Jeff Otah but that move failed. Otah is out there looking for work. Might as well bring him back and put him on the PUP list until he can play. Mario Williams says hello in week one.
    Yes! you are right 100% correct. stil lots of time left to correct this before the season starts.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TechJet View Post
    Yes! you are right 100% correct. stil lots of time left to correct this before the season starts.
    So where are these corrections going to come from?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So where are these corrections going to come from?
    I've always been a fan of the tooth fairy ...

Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    This is not a doom and gloom post. I am not banking everything on just preseason game #1. This is a pure honest evaluation of the Jets roster.

BLOCKING TE

The Jets do not have one on the roster. If you are going to play smashmouth football. You can't have a roster loaded with receiving tight ends like the Jets do. You also get caught in a situation where your finesse TE's are asked to stay in and block. A recipe for disaster. It's a very ill conceived strategy to try and become a power football team and have NO blocking te's on the entire roster.

BACKUP CENTER

We went through this last year and the Jets have obviously not learned from their own mistakes. Jets went 0 and 3 after they lost Nick Mangold last season. They replaced him with a street free agent named Colin Baxter. That experiment failed and here we are in August of 2012 and the Jets are trying to force players to play center like Slauson and Schlauderaff.

VETERAN WIDE RECEIVER

I have approached this topic already on this board. There was a player that the Jets should have signed to help the Jets passing and run offense. Instead the Jets are going with an extremely raw rookie WR in Stephen Hill, a training room MVP in Chaz Schilens, and a bunch of inexperienced rookies and fringe NFL players at the WR position.

PUNTER

The Jets have addressed their kicker position by bringing in Josh Brown to compete with Nick Folk and both players are in a strong battle for that spot. After letting go of Steve Weatherford and replacing him with a below mediocre punter in T.J. Conley. The Jets failed to bring in some competition for Conley either through the draft or through free agency.

RIGHT TACKLE

Wayne Hunter was one of the league's worst starting right tackles in the league last season. The Jets failed to address this area either through free agency or the draft. An attempt was made to acquire Jeff Otah but that move failed. Otah is out there looking for work. Might as well bring him back and put him on the PUP list until he can play. Mario Williams says hello in week one.
    Most of those situations aren't that hard to fill and can be filled when cuts happen.

There are so many blocking TE's out there. That one of the easiest things to get in the NFL. Jets want a blocking TE they can get one rather easily.

2 Backup center - Schlauderaff the jets will find out if he can be the back up center. The Jets can easily find a backup center with the last cuts. HEck I would sign ex Raven Jason Brown to come in as Mangold backup.

3. WR- IF the Jets want a WR there is always ways to trade for one. The Jets have to look at what Wr is going to be a free agent next year, and see if that team going to invest in him, or they have other wr's that are higher priorities.

4. Punter- There are teams out there that have quality young punter and that young guys has no chance to beat out the incumbent. See Raiders Marquette King- big leg isn't beating out Shane Lechler.

Right tackle- Alot of teams are in the market for depth at this position. You might have to do with Hunter this year, till you can address this next year in draft.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I've always been a fan of the tooth fairy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    There is more then HUNTER that is wrong with the Jets OL. BRICK looked shaky last year and sucked last night too. Hunter gets all the ink but its about time that BRICK gets his feet held to the fire as well! I have mixed feelings about the play of AUSTIN HOWARD. I actually thought he showed promise.

But the sacks came about due to very poor blocking by our non-blocking TEs and even CONNER sucked at it last night.

TARREN LlOYD is a BLOCKING TE currently on the team. He was # 43. He was signed because he is a ferocious blocker. Did he even play? Epps is another TE that can block. # 83 hardly played. Cumberland and Killer0Keller played most of the night and whiffed on their blocking assignments.

Our backup RB Powell also whiffed on several blocks and looked bad when doing so. For all the fuss in camp, he is not better then Joe McKnight!

Its time to end the Matt Kroul experiment! We need more competant OL backups. Kroul is a waste of space at this time. BITONTI's guy FRED KOLOTO sucked in plain english! Robert Griffin ( our draftee) was merely OK. He needs much more experience at RT. he simply is not ready. I thought he was an OG any way! Heyer showed some promise I thought. That brings up another point! All night long they moved players around. One minute a guy was playing ROG; the next he was playing RT. I do not see how that is helpful to the young guys. But they get paid to know what they are doing so I will defer.
    Everyone moves around their backup Olineman around. Your going to only activate 7 or 8 olineman on game day. If that's the case those 6-8 guys better be versatile to play multiple positions. The more positions a olineman can play the better the chance he has to making the 53 man roster.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 08-11-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Wait a minute. Are you saying that we're a Ground & Pound team that can do neither?

Boy would that suck.

SAR I

the jets are a O that cant do anything

Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    the jets are a O that cant do anything
    Take last year's offense.

Subtract a tall, veteran redzone receiving threat.

Subtract a dependable, veteran backfield receiving threat.

Add a rookie WR and a questionable second year RB to replace them.

That's what we are. And even if Hill and McKnight come in here and tear it up, it just gets us back to scratch, same as last year's team that could only muster 8 wins and couldn't beat a single team with a winning record.

Sanchez gets no time, Greene can't run, Holmes gets doubled, Keller gets lost. You'd think that after spending 30 years figuring out how to stop an offense that Rex Ryan could create one that would cause a defense some difficulty.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    He was not good. He kicked from mid-field and could not pin it inside the 20. He also hit one for just 25 yards. We need a punter. Hopefully when other team cut down we can find one.
    This.

Awful performance last night. We looked like a 5 win team out there.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Expect some more moves from the Jets FO - waiver wire piclups, TC cuts. I expect things to improve
    Exactly who is going to be out there that is going to upgrade what we have. I know its possible that we might hit the FA lottery and find some no name who turns into an all pro. I mean I bought a powerball ticket last night too, but I'm not spending my winnings just yet.

I don't doubt the Jets will do some late August scavenging and bring in some other team's left overs, including the annual Patriots reject or two, but to think at this stage in the game the Jets are going to find a solution to their OL problems outside their current mix is very much akin to "expecting" to win the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by TechJet View Post
    Yes, there is time, TJ. But only if they can correct the situation with players who are already on the roster. If you think its so easy to correct problems by picking up other team's rejects, then you are whistling past the wind. Like I said before, the chances of picking up a solution to our OL problems off the waiver wire, is akin to the chances of winning the lottery.

Late season waiver wire pick ups are for adding developmental players to your PS and/or bottom of your roster. You are not going to find an upgrade at RT or any of the other holes we seem to have there.l

Ray Ray can spout his excuses all night. According to him everyone played pretty well on the OL last night, yet somehow despite them all playing well Bengal players miraculously appeared in front of our QBs with astonishing frequency, and our "ground and pound" RBs only managed to average 3.5ypc.

The defense looked great, and Coples had an excellent start to his career. But that's just one third of the story. Special teams and the offense had unacceptable performances. If football is a 3 legged race, the Jets are operating on just one leg.

All valid points by Leon.

Take last year's offense.

Subtract a tall, veteran redzone receiving threat.

Subtract a dependable, veteran backfield receiving threat.

Add a rookie WR and a questionable second year RB to replace them.

That's what we are. And even if Hill and McKnight come in here and tear it up, it just gets us back to scratch, same as last year's team that could only muster 8 wins and couldn't beat a single team with a winning record.

Sanchez gets no time, Greene can't run, Holmes gets doubled, Keller gets lost. You'd think that after spending 30 years figuring out how to stop an offense that Rex Ryan could create one that would cause a defense some difficulty.

SAR I
    sadly, i think this season the only guy who will be vindicated is schotty. they don't have any elite skilled positional talent and they don't have the RT or TEs to run a power offense.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Hunter and Tebow each account for about 2.75 million, you could of had Winston and Stanton and you would have still had a 4th round pick and picked up a guy like Bobby Massie(OT) or a guy like Orson Charles(TE). That could have been one, realistic move that could have made this team better. Eric Smith is not going to be cut, if he was going to be, he would have already.

+1
    Its like your in my head. I was screaming when we traded for Tebow and lost Stanton. Then screaming to pick up Massie when he kept falling. and mad as hell when we didnt get Ronnie Hillman who i think will be a beast of a 3rd down back. I loved Charles as well a blocking TE that's more athletic and faster then our current starting TE.
    Last edited by SgtAshton; 08-11-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    sadly, i think this season the only guy who will be vindicated is schotty. they don't have any elite skilled positional talent and they don't have the RT or TEs to run a power offense.
    These guys spent so much time in a quest to build the perfect defense that they forgot all about the offense. The object of football is to score more points than your opponent. Having a defense hold an opponent to 7 points means nothing if you can only score 6 points.

Yet they run around patting themselves on the back proclaiming "we have a top-five defense!" every year as if there's some consolation prize for having good defensive stats.

Score points. Win games. It's not that hard a concept to grasp. If you put all your eggs in the defensive basket then there's nothing left to build a good offense with. We are imbalanced.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    All valid points by Leon.
    The problem is that they are just too valid. The problem, as I see it, is the continuing disconnect between what the team "says" its going to do, and what it actually does.

Its not like they decided to become a ground and pound team last week. This is what they said it was going to be back in March. But what have they done to make it happen. Outside of hiring Sparano, and to a lesser degree bringing in Tebow to run a "Wildcat style" offense situationally, In other words, almost nothing.

Once again the Jets spent most of their draft and FA capital on the defense. Its almost like Rex doesn't really give a crap about the rest of the team as long as he can pat himself on the back because the defense is still good. So what if what was a bad offense last season, is getting worse, you got to love the D.

My biggest fear is that the HC, still really isn't one. Too often he acts like a pumped up DC who happens to give entertaining press conferences. He still doesn't seem to understand he's in charge of the entire team. I have no doubt he's one of the better DC's in the league, but the problem is that he isn't just in charge of the defense!

Sorry, I'm starting to rant. Its just the first preseason game. There is nothing to worry about.

These guys spent so much time in a quest to build the perfect defense that they forgot all about the offense. The object of football is to score more points than your opponent. Having a defense hold an opponent to 7 points means nothing if you can only score 6 points.

Yet they run around patting themselves on the back proclaiming "we have a top-five defense!" every year as if there's some consolation prize for having good defensive stats.

Score points. Win games. It's not that hard a concept to grasp. If you put all your eggs in the defensive basket then there's nothing left to build a good offense with. We are imbalanced.

SAR I
    it's really not a huge surprise. sanchez isn't the stud they hoped he'd be, so it put more pressure on the rest of the offense to make it work. but then they kept drafting defense in the first round and churned the wrs. what has happened is what should have happened. in the end i am still amazed sanchez had 32 total tds last year. for a team that had such trouble getting first downs that pretty good, esp. for such an inconsistent qb.

All League

SAR I
    Good points, but ou left out one thing: it is very helpful to your defense if the offense can hold on to the ball for more than 3 plays.

With the modern rules favoring offenses, even great defenses will give up points if left on the field all night long.

I had a few drinks last night but didnt Slauson move to Center with the second team and Vlad was the LG?