Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Areas that the Jets front office failed to address

Areas that the Jets front office failed to address

This is not a doom and gloom post. I am not banking everything on just preseason game #1. This is a pure honest evaluation of the Jets roster.

BLOCKING TE

The Jets do not have one on the roster. If you are going to play smashmouth football. You can't have a roster loaded with receiving tight ends like the Jets do. You also get caught in a situation where your finesse TE's are asked to stay in and block. A recipe for disaster. It's a very ill conceived strategy to try and become a power football team and have NO blocking te's on the entire roster.

BACKUP CENTER

We went through this last year and the Jets have obviously not learned from their own mistakes. Jets went 0 and 3 after they lost Nick Mangold last season. They replaced him with a street free agent named Colin Baxter. That experiment failed and here we are in August of 2012 and the Jets are trying to force players to play center like Slauson and Schlauderaff.

VETERAN WIDE RECEIVER

I have approached this topic already on this board. There was a player that the Jets should have signed to help the Jets passing and run offense. Instead the Jets are going with an extremely raw rookie WR in Stephen Hill, a training room MVP in Chaz Schilens, and a bunch of inexperienced rookies and fringe NFL players at the WR position.

PUNTER

The Jets have addressed their kicker position by bringing in Josh Brown to compete with Nick Folk and both players are in a strong battle for that spot. After letting go of Steve Weatherford and replacing him with a below mediocre punter in T.J. Conley. The Jets failed to bring in some competition for Conley either through the draft or through free agency.

RIGHT TACKLE

Wayne Hunter was one of the league's worst starting right tackles in the league last season. The Jets failed to address this area either through free agency or the draft. An attempt was made to acquire Jeff Otah but that move failed. Otah is out there looking for work. Might as well bring him back and put him on the PUP list until he can play. Mario Williams says hello in week one.

Jets Insider VIP
    Keep Going

Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Keep Going
    LOL

I don't have anymore really. I suppose, I could include depth at corner. After the elite three. But you know, There are some promising young guys competing at the position now.

I actually think that the Jets have done an excellent job at building a very deep defensive front 7 and I like the Jets new safeties. Landry, Bell and the two rookies should be fine. (Fingers crossed on Landry.)

I think the areas that I mentioned, TE, RT, WR, C and Punter are main areas of concern.

I'd say fullback #1. Connor is quickly becoming my biggest issue with the O. I really can't say what he does any more. I still think they addressed WR greatly and they didn't need anther P.

All Pro
    Yes!!!!!!! I was wondering when someone was gonna bring up this topic...took long enough!!!!!!

Veteran
    O-line sucks, Callahans last chance. Oh wait someone else sux at that job now.
    Last edited by RazorJet; 08-11-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I thought Conley looked pretty good.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Wait a minute. Are you saying that we're a Ground & Pound team that can do neither?

Boy would that suck.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    O-line sucks, Callahans last chance.
    Uhhh

Great thread. How does a team whose QB was sacked 39 times last year not upgrade the O line in particular the RT position. They tried to trade for an oft injured player and that failed and that was their ONLY plan?? No blocking T/E and no depth behind Mangold as well. How could this lack of a plan happen? It's going to get bad quick for either QB. I feel bad for them and extremely baffled at the lack of focus on this glaring and continuing problem. How can this be rectified before the season starts?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Depth on the O-Line, I have been complaining about this since last off-season.....

O-line has been sorely neglected by Tannenbaum for 2 straight off-seasons now.....

Hopefully it isn't too late we could use at least 2 more capable O-Lineman with some starting experience....

While it was of his own making, the jets were hampered in their efforts to sign FA as they had little cap space.

Coples looked good last night, but he is only going to provide a incremental improvement to what was a strong point of the team already.

The jets have some money to pick up a vet or two for the line if one shakes loose in August.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The jets have some money to pick up a vet or two for the line if one shakes loose in August.
    We can only hope.....

Expect some more moves from the Jets FO - waiver wire piclups, TC cuts. I expect things to improve

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I thought Conley looked pretty good.
    He was not good. He kicked from mid-field and could not pin it inside the 20. He also hit one for just 25 yards. We need a punter. Hopefully when other team cut down we can find one.

call me crazy but i think wr will become a relative strength of the team. holmes, hill, kerley and whomever else can do the job. turner perhaps. wr isn't the problem.

more than anything this team needs a physical RT and a blocking TE. i applaud drafting best player available, but at some point this team has to use first rounders on offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Its early blah, blah, blah . . . You don't need to say its early to appease the homers. Its phucking late. Early is March, early is the draft. Some people think we are going to magically sign some veterans and fix the problems.

We have the same exact issues we had last year. Can't run outside. Weak pass blocking on the edges.

And thats just the offense.

The defense still can't cover the TEs and RBs.

And the fact that we were vanilla yesterday doesn't matter. It wasn't our scheme that got beat, it was our players who got beat. Mano-a-mano. Coaching is very important but sooner or later it comes down to talent. And the talent on this roster has eroded every year since 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Its early blah, blah, blah . . . You don't need to say its early to appease the homers. Its phucking late. Early is March, early is the draft. Some people think we are going to magically sign some veterans and fix the problems.

We have the same exact issues we had last year. Can't run outside. Weak pass blocking on the edges.

And the fact that we were vanilla yesterday doesn't matter. It wasn't our scheme that got beat, it was our players who got beat. Mano-a-mano. Coaching is very important but sooner or later it comes down to talent. And the talent on this roster has eroded every year since 2010.
    this defense will get burned on short and medium passes as long as thomas, pace and scott are in there. harris aside, that has to be the slowest lb trio in the nfl. it's not the d-line, it's not the cbs and it may not even be the safeties anymore.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

And the fact that we were vanilla yesterday doesn't matter. It wasn't our scheme that got beat, it was our players who got beat. Mano-a-mano. Coaching is very important but sooner or later it comes down to talent.
    Agree 100%. People act like starting RTs fall from the trees in late August. The TEs are not just bad at blocking, they are f*****g horrendous. Did you see Keller and Cumberland last night? They barely even touched a defender.

Pace, Thomas and Scott are done. They can not be on the field at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Agree 100%. People act like starting RTs fall from the trees in late August. The TEs are not just bad at blocking, they are f*****g horrendous. Did you see Keller and Cumberland last night? They barely even touched a defender.

Pace, Thomas and Scott are done. They can not be on the field at the same time.
    in an odd way, it's good to see this happening, b/c it's the preseason. it's one thing to look good in cortland against the jets pitiful offense. but against a decent team with real weapons and a line that can block for the qb, they were easily exposed. and you can't use conditioning, injuries or inexperience as excuses. the question is, if it keeps happening, will they make adjustments or keep trotting these slower guys out there and not be able to get off the field on 3rd downs like last year?