Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tebow is the best QB for this team

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Have to ask, but I see that you posted stats for 30+ and 40+, but isn't anything over about 20+ considered "deep" in the NFL ? If so, would that change the stats and the dynamics of the discussion ?
    If you included 20+ air yard receptions, you'd have TEs on the list. So no, I don't consider balls that travel 20 yards in the air to be a valid measurement of a receivers ability to get deep. We're talking about being able to get behind the defense, 20 yards down the field isn't behind the defense.

Randy Moss was good for 10+/yr until he got to Oakland, then had a brief renaissance with NE, 11(6) in '07. He's the standard.

DeSean Jackson is good for 7+ 30+ air yard receptions per year. Same for Calvin Johnson. Andre Johnson gets 5 or 6 30+ per year (remarkably consistent, it's always 5 or 6 except for one season and last year when he was hurt), but usually only 1 or 2 40+. Larry Fitzgerald is the same way. Steve Smith is also good for 5 or 6 per year, his best coming in 2008 with 9.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    He threw a nice one to Braylon that Braylon dropped remember that one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    That was a floating duck.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    Not sure what a Brunell pass has to do with Sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's his best deep ball in 3 years?
    I didn't say it was his best but it sure was pretty & definitely wasn't underthrown.....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about the one to stuckey his 1st year vs the texans?

Another floater, 30 yarder, 3 years ago. How many pass attempts did he have in 3 years? Are you going to argue with my that he can't throw the ball downfield with velocity?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was a floating duck.
    Sanchez to Edwards against Atlanta in the middle of the winter in '09.

Sanchez to Edwards, flat footed in the AFCCG in '09.

Sanchez to Edwards in Detroit in the 1st half of the comeback game.

Then the others that have already been mentioned. Sanchez was one of the better vertical passers in the league through his first two seasons, even while he struggled with much of the rest of his game. KC Joyner wrote a piece on this for ESPN, I don't have it bookmarked.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another floater, 30 yarder, 3 years ago. How many pass attempts did he have in 3 years? Are you going to argue with my that he can't throw the ball downfield with velocity?
    Honestly I'm not gonna argue about anything no point your just gonna discredit Sanchez for everything he has done just outta pure hate.. If you think tebow is a legit starting qb in this league that's on you.. But after seeing his release last night I see why elway was so quick to get rid of him even after he got them to the playoffs.

Great runner though I won't take that from him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    And every once in a while he wins a Super Bowl MVP.

Sanchez turns elite into ... whatever it is you just described. It's depressing.
    You heard the expert, don't argue with him. Holmes "for some reason" can't do it. Maybe that reason is the guy throwing him the ball. I don't know. This Mel Kiper wannabe comes up with numbers saying that Holmes in only one season was as good as Mike Wallace was, the best deep threat in the game. He didn't do it his entire career, so obviously he's not a deep threat which means he can't do it.
    He caught FIVE 50+yd throws in one season and supposedly he can't stretch the field.

These excuses by our lovely MMM fanatics are getting funnier by the minute. It's the O-Line, the coaching, the defense (they're great but not the best of all time and they allow a 1st down every once in a while, can't have THAT happen of course), now it's the receivers being too stupid to run a straight line. It's never Marky Mark the Messiah. This team is dragging him down and ruining his HOF career. It's not the other way around.

At least with the Tebow fanatics you get SOME objectivity, that he's inconsistent, at times he throws awful passes, his mechanics are a work in progress and all that. But not so with the MMM fanatics. The guy is the best in the world at everything. Sure he can play even better (not that he sucked for 3 years, "he can play better" is what they say) but he doesn't have to. If we fix every other position and get all the best players in the NFL around him then we're superbowl bound baby. Don't touch the QB. All we need is major upgrades...at EVERY other position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzQ8thzcT7s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsAgK9uh4ZM
    ^^^^^^^
    At 1:54

Satisfied?

Of course not.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    KC Joyner wrote a piece on this for ESPN, I don't have it bookmarked.
    KC Joyner Note: A vertical pass is defined as an aerial thrown 11 or more yards downfield
    Chad Pennington would have been the greatest of all time in that case. Doesn't make him much of a great downfield thrower though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course not.
    Uh, yeah, we have talked about those. Remember, when I said that was a nice throw 3 years ago.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chad Pennington would have been the greatest of all time in that case. Doesn't make him much of a great downfield thrower though.
    How many times a game do teams throw 50+ yard passes ?? Once maybe twice tops?
    Unless you have a randy moss or a desean jackson it's not gonna happen a lot .

Last edited by Scoop24; 08-11-2012 at 07:11 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You heard the expert, don't argue with him. Holmes "for some reason" can't do it. Maybe that reason is the guy throwing him the ball. I don't know. This Mel Kiper wannabe comes up with numbers saying that Holmes in only one season was as good as Mike Wallace was, the best deep threat in the game. He didn't do it his entire career, so obviously he's not a deep threat which means he can't do it.
    He caught FIVE 50+yd throws in one season and supposedly he can't stretch the field.
    Someone failed reading comprehension.

Five 30+ yarders, 3 of them 40+ yarders; which account for 50% and 75% of his career 30+ and 40+ yard receptions.

That was 2007. It's the only year he was a good deep receiver.

If someone does something once in their career, and never repeats that performance, you disregard it. Something is only a skill if you're able to repeat the performance on a regular basis.

That '07 is average output for a good deep receiver. Holmes was called an "elite" deep receiver in this thread. Mike Wallace, DeSean Jackson, and Randy Moss are (or were) "elite" deep receivers. They catch 7+ 30+ yard and 4+ 40+ air yard receptions every year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow is a horrible qb. Good RB. Please stop. This is so annoying anyone that thinks Tim tebow is a legit nfl qb needs to learn what they are watching. He sucks. He can't throw the short ball, forget about the long ball. He couldn't hit a barn wall if he was inside the barn. I wish he never came here. Elway is a friggin genius

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Receptions on passes thrown 30+ yards in the air (40+ yards in the air)

Holmes: 1 (0)

Edwards: 4 (1)

Do you not read?

There was no problem finding Edwards down the field.

Holmes hasn't caught a pass that traveled 40 yards in the air since 2008. He's only caught 3 of them in his career.

Julio Jones had 3 40+ air yard receptions last year in his rookie season.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    1 scrimmage and so many conclusions.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many times a game do teams throw 50+ yard passes ?? Once maybe twice tops?
    Unless you have a randy moss or a desean jackson it's not gonna happen a lot .

Tebow by far throws the most deep passes in the league (over 21% of his throws). Big Ben sits at 13%. The chart I'm looking at doesn't go that far that I would be able to see Sanchez' numbers, but I'm gonna assume he's at the bottom. And with our offense it would make more sense to have a guy like Tebow who can run the ball and stretch the field with speedsters like Hill/Holmes or use screens to McKnight and so on. Sanchez doesn't get much done. He's sitting at a 50% completion even though all he does is make short throws. We don't have any bigplays on offense, teams are stacking the box because Sanchez can't throw the ball downfield and it destroys our running game.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Receptions on passes thrown 30+ yards in the air (40+ yards in the air)

Holmes: 1 (0)

Edwards: 4 (1)

Do you not read?

There was no problem finding Edwards down the field.

Holmes hasn't caught a pass that traveled 40 yards in the air since 2008. He's only caught 3 of them in his career.

Dude, you are engaging in an argument with someone not based in reality. Save your sanity and just ignore him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We get it. Holmes is too stupid to run a straight line even though he was able to do it at the highest level in Pittsburg and Braylon Edwards is a better deep threat that Julio Jones.
    Last edited by DaBallhawk; 08-11-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow makes plays behind a crappy OL. He turned nothing into something several times last night, in situations where Sanchez would have gotten sacked. Yeah, his throwing mechanics stink. But to be fair, let's see him with the starters. That would be interesting.