Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maybin, Coples, Demario, etc

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    Why not??
    His Salary is almost 6 mill dollars, who is going to trade for him making that kind of money? This amount is made up of 4.2 salary and about 1.75 mill of roster and WO bonus which have already been met. (this does not include the SB amortization). he has two years left on the deal so his cap hit if you trade him he actually costs you more on the cap than if you keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    eaglenj, Maybin I just think is destined to be a one trick pony as a designated pass rusher. I don't think he has the instincts for the position, and lacks the core strength to play de with his hand in the dirt in 4-3 sets.

While the jets may have a better defensive coaching staff the guy has been getting professional coaching at the position now for going on 4 years. Shame on the Bills for not using him in the role that Rex found for him. And he might not even be a jet in 2013. He will be pricey, for ref Mark Anderson got over 6 mill per after resurrecting his career in NE as a designated pass rusher.

If the jets don't use what cap money they have left on a August pick up, they might want to give that money to maybin to keep him off the market. A 2 year extension for 7 mill total with 1/2 of it as a bonus may do it. He gets some money now, and will be a FA again when he is 27, so if he continues to play well he can get his pay day.
    Currently he doesn't have the instincts or the size/strength, no doubt. However he is only 24 years old.

The Bills tried to "develop" him into a 4-3 DE which isn't big enough for, so those years not only didn't help him to in the LB dept, but prob hurt him as he was focused on playing with a hand on the ground.

He has been on the Jets for 1 TC where he focused on rush end, and one offseason where he started to work on LB. I think we really have to hold judgement on his skill level at OLB until next season.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    McIntyre, Mauga & Bellore have all played in regular season games at different points throughout the season and have played decent.

D. Davis I have said before has 1st round talent, I think this kid will be the steal of the draft for the Jets as long as he stays healthy.

Dowtin & Ambrose are the real unknowns that were signed as UDFA's but hey Bart Scott was a UDFA so we'll have to see how that pans out but obviously they are not anything you would plan on building your defense around - at least not at this point.

I agree with your prediction about Harris being the only returning starter, Pace, Thomas & Scott are almost definitely going to be CAP casualties next off-season so, you could be right about locking Maybin up during the season this year, that could be a very smart, proactive move for the Jets front office.
    Macytire and Mauga are also FA this year. So now with Maybin you now have to fill 6 lb spots next season. That is why I thought it was prudent to try to lock up a guy that actually showed production on the field and not potential.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    LB'er is probably the deepest position on the Jets roster right now. Outside of Thomas, Scott, Pace & Harris the Jets currently have:

Demario Davis
    Damario Ambrose
    Nick Bellore
    Josh Mauga
    Aaron Maybin
    Garrett McIntyre
    Ricky Sapp
    Marcus Dowtin

All of these guys have shown the potential to be good NFL players - some more then others. Point being, I don't think the Jets will committ any money to Maybin until they see how he plays this season and they get a long look at which ever of these young LB'ers they decide to keep around this season.
    A veritable pantheon of football gods... Jesus get a clue.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Macytire and Mauga are also FA this year. So now with Maybin you now have to fill 6 lb spots next season. That is why I thought it was prudent to try to lock up a guy that actually showed production on the field and not potential.
    McIntyre & Mauga are both UDFA's that love Rex Ryan, I almost certainly expect them both to be brought back - with a hometown discount.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    A veritable pantheon of football gods... Jesus get a clue.
    Dude, don't embarrass yourself more then you already have.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This message is hidden because Dunnie is on your ignore list.

That's better.....

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Currently he doesn't have the instincts or the size/strength, no doubt. However he is only 24 years old.

The Bills tried to "develop" him into a 4-3 DE which isn't big enough for, so those years not only didn't help him to in the LB dept, but prob hurt him as he was focused on playing with a hand on the ground.

He has been on the Jets for 1 TC where he focused on rush end, and one offseason where he started to work on LB. I think we really have to hold judgement on his skill level at OLB until next season.
    While they ran a 4-3 in 2009, in 2010 they ran a 3-4 with Maybin in the same role Rex has him in. Remember they brought Merriman in as part of the transition?

As you can tell by my posting on this board, I pay a lot of attention to the AFC east. When he was a Bill working as a DE he had trouble even then with his zone drops.

This is his 4th year in the league, By this time he should have at least flashed some awareness ability in a zone. The guy has a role in the NFL and with the jets and if limited in his role he can be very productive as a pass rusher as he shown last year, but what should also be was equally evident is that he struggles in roles outside of get after the qb. No one thinks twice
    about having a two down MLB, there should be no issue wit a player just having a pass rushing role.

Very happy to hear Coples had an outstanding game. It's looking more and more like Coples is just one of those guys who a light just goes on in his head come gametime.

While they ran a 4-3 in 2009, in 2010 they ran a 3-4 with Maybin in the same role Rex has him in. Remember they brought Merriman in as part of the transition?

As you can tell by my posting on this board, I pay a lot of attention to the AFC east. When he was a Bill working as a DE he had trouble even then with his zone drops.

This is his 4th year in the league, By this time he should have at least flashed some awareness ability in a zone. The guy has a role in the NFL and with the jets and if limited in his role he can be very productive as a pass rusher as he shown last year, but what should also be was equally evident is that he struggles in roles outside of get after the qb. No one thinks twice
    about having a two down MLB, there should be no issue wit a player just having a pass rushing role.
    Far analysis of him as a situational player, Im just personally hoping there is more to come with him.

I think that for 2 reasons. One, even with 1 season in buffalo working in a 3-4, he has still just started learning the position. Also, he has great athletic ability and height so I would love to see him occaisonally dropping into coverage and clogging some lanes over the middle.

Davis looks like he has a future. Hill too--although my understanding is that he is dropping plenty of balls at practice. Maybin is another case of Jet fans going over board based on a couple of games last year. He is still in the "maybe" class.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... very excited to see more of QC & DD throughout the preseason & beyond ...

... i expect maybin to be excellent in his 3rd & long pass rushing role ...

l_j_r