Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Maybin, Coples, Demario, etc

  1. #1

    Maybin, Coples, Demario, etc

    Few thoughts on the game....

    Coples looked excellent. I was surprised at how quick he looked at DT and I think he can be a real force on 3rd downs rushing from the DT spot with wilkerson and maybin.

    As for maybin, he did not look good as a stand-up OLB. He is going to have a hard time setting the edge, and failed to stay home on one run and gave up the cut back lane leading to a big gain that never should have happened. The silver lining here is that we shouldn't need him to play OLB until 2013. He is very young and learning a new position.....I think his value will continue to be a situational pass rusher in 2012, and we can continue to use BT and Pace on running downs. Hopefully with a full year of learning under his belt, he will be able to play the position much better next year.

    On the other hand, Demario....Geezus! The kid looked great to me. Fast and technically sound (his open field tackle was textbook). After watching bart chase yet another RB down the field for a big game I don't see how we can keep demario off the field. Plus I loved the energy demario brought to the team, just a positive, aggressive way of playing.

    Ellis looked great too. Rex and Dunbar have arguably more "toys" along the line then any team in the league, and with this many bodies, we should be able to be fresh at the end of games and withstand potential injuries.

    As bad as the offense looked (and no its not the end of the world yet) the defense looked fantastic and FAST!

  2. #2
    Great post and analysis. Thank you for your pleasant thread.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,127
    You make fair points. Davis did look good. I would like to see him play more with the starters.

    But, the Giants have the most "toys". We still have some nice ones though. I think Wilk is going to be a monster for us. And I don't think anyone is really worried about the defense except for covering the TEs. It is the offense that killed us last year and they didn't exactly look good last night.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,592
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You make fair points. Davis did look good. I would like to see him play more with the starters.

    But, the Giants have the most "toys". We still have some nice ones though. I think Wilk is going to be a monster for us. And I don't think anyone is really worried about the defense except for covering the TEs. It is the offense that killed us last year and they didn't exactly look good last night.
    I have said it before & I'll say it again.

    If he stays healthy, Demario Davis could be the steal of this draft.

    I think this kid has 1st round talent.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    1,680
    The sooner Dermario supplants Bart Scott the better, watching him trying to run down that rb was painful to watch.

  6. #6
    I'm cautiously optimistic that the days of not being able to get pressure with rushing 4 are over. A dime front 4 of Maybin, Coples, Wilkerson, and Sapp looks better than we've had in years.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic that the days of not being able to get pressure with rushing 4 are over. A dime front 4 of Maybin, Coples, Wilkerson, and Sapp looks better than we've had in years.
    I think the dime front 4 has Pace instead of Sapp - at least for this season. Did Sapp even play last night? If he did, I didn't see him.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,944
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    I think the dime front 4 has Pace instead of Sapp - at least for this season. Did Sapp even play last night? If he did, I didn't see him.
    injured

  9. #9
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Here by the sea and sand
    Posts
    78
    I have already made some bold predictions about this defense and a large part of that is the feeling I have about Demario Davis. I hope he supplants Scott.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    I think the dime front 4 has Pace instead of Sapp - at least for this season. Did Sapp even play last night? If he did, I didn't see him.
    Didn't play, injured.

    People imagine things.

  11. #11
    I must have missed mention that Sapp was injured. Thanks for the update.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Few thoughts on the game....

    Coples looked excellent. I was surprised at how quick he looked at DT and I think he can be a real force on 3rd downs rushing from the DT spot with wilkerson and maybin.

    As for maybin, he did not look good as a stand-up OLB. He is going to have a hard time setting the edge, and failed to stay home on one run and gave up the cut back lane leading to a big gain that never should have happened. The silver lining here is that we shouldn't need him to play OLB until 2013. He is very young and learning a new position.....I think his value will continue to be a situational pass rusher in 2012, and we can continue to use BT and Pace on running downs. Hopefully with a full year of learning under his belt, he will be able to play the position much better next year.

    On the other hand, Demario....Geezus! The kid looked great to me. Fast and technically sound (his open field tackle was textbook). After watching bart chase yet another RB down the field for a big game I don't see how we can keep demario off the field. Plus I loved the energy demario brought to the team, just a positive, aggressive way of playing.

    Ellis looked great too. Rex and Dunbar have arguably more "toys" along the line then any team in the league, and with this many bodies, we should be able to be fresh at the end of games and withstand potential injuries.

    As bad as the offense looked (and no its not the end of the world yet) the defense looked fantastic and FAST!
    Trade Bart...there I said it.

  13. #13
    eaglenj, Maybin I just think is destined to be a one trick pony as a designated pass rusher. I don't think he has the instincts for the position, and lacks the core strength to play de with his hand in the dirt in 4-3 sets.

    While the jets may have a better defensive coaching staff the guy has been getting professional coaching at the position now for going on 4 years. Shame on the Bills for not using him in the role that Rex found for him. And he might not even be a jet in 2013. He will be pricey, for ref Mark Anderson got over 6 mill per after resurrecting his career in NE as a designated pass rusher.

    If the jets don't use what cap money they have left on a August pick up, they might want to give that money to maybin to keep him off the market. A 2 year extension for 7 mill total with 1/2 of it as a bonus may do it. He gets some money now, and will be a FA again when he is 27, so if he continues to play well he can get his pay day.
    Last edited by patman; 08-12-2012 at 07:30 AM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports View Post
    Trade Bart...there I said it.
    Are you joking?

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,592
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    . Shame on the Bills for not using him in the role that Rex found for him. And he might not even be a jet in 2013. He will be pricey, for ref Mark Anderson got over 6 mill per after resurrecting his career in NE as a designated pass rusher.

    If the jets don't use what cap money they have left on a August pick up, they might want to give that money to maybin to keep him off the market. A 2 year extension for 7 mill total with 1/2 of it as a bonus may do it.
    LB'er is probably the deepest position on the Jets roster right now. Outside of Thomas, Scott, Pace & Harris the Jets currently have:

    Demario Davis
    Damario Ambrose
    Nick Bellore
    Josh Mauga
    Aaron Maybin
    Garrett McIntyre
    Ricky Sapp
    Marcus Dowtin

    All of these guys have shown the potential to be good NFL players - some more then others. Point being, I don't think the Jets will committ any money to Maybin until they see how he plays this season and they get a long look at which ever of these young LB'ers they decide to keep around this season.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    6,274
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Are you joking?
    Why not??

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    6,274
    I agree with the OP being Rex has a lot of toys, but the only thing that bothers me with Rex is his loyalty over needs. Look how long he tried to stick with E.Smith and Leonard. And now with that horrible showing of Hunter last year that would of cost anybody else their job ,he is brought back.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    LB'er is probably the deepest position on the Jets roster right now. Outside of Thomas, Scott, Pace & Harris the Jets currently have:

    Demario Davis
    Damario Ambrose
    Nick Bellore
    Josh Mauga
    Aaron Maybin
    Garrett McIntyre
    Ricky Sapp
    Marcus Dowtin

    All of these guys have shown the potential to be good NFL players - some more then others. Point being, I don't think the Jets will committ any money to Maybin until they see how he plays this season and they get a long look at which ever of these young LB'ers they decide to keep around this season.
    Arod, I never seen any of those players make plays besides Maybin. Davis certainly has the athleticism to play in the nfl and he should become a productive player, but until he actually does- it is just potential.

    I think most likely that the only starter that will be back next year is Harris. Scott and Pace are going the way of the cap, and Thomas is 33 now and this year is his 10th so his NFL retirement threshold for full benefits is now met, He came back this year for 1 mill for what i assume just to get to that threshold. Don't see him doing that again.

    The deepest position on the jets is either corner or dline,certainly not LB.

    I understand a reluctance to give maybin any money now, but if he hits FA after a productive year the jets will not be able to compete for his services.

    Remember both safeties, 3 olineman, Scott, Pace, Thomas, Keller and Greene are all FA, By taking a chance on allocating some of the cap space to him now, you may get him for a couple of years at 1/2 the market rate.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,503
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    Why not??
    Who would take him? What would they give for him?

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,592
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Arod, I never seen any of those players make plays besides Maybin. Davis certainly has the athleticism to play in the nfl and he should become a productive player, but until he actually does- it is just potential.

    I think most likely that the only starter that will be back next year is Harris. Scott and Pace are going the way of the cap, and Thomas is 33 now and this year is his 10th so his NFL retirement threshold for full benefits is now met, He came back this year for 1 mill for what i assume just to get to that threshold. Don't see him doing that again.

    The deepest position on the jets is either corner or dline,certainly not LB.

    I understand a reluctance to give maybin any money now, but if he hits FA after a productive year the jets will not be able to compete for his services.

    Remember both safeties, 3 olineman, Scott, Pace, Thomas, Keller and Greene are all FA, By taking a chance on allocating some of the cap space to him now, you may get him for a couple of years at 1/2 the market rate.
    McIntyre, Mauga & Bellore have all played in regular season games at different points throughout the season and have played decent.

    D. Davis I have said before has 1st round talent, I think this kid will be the steal of the draft for the Jets as long as he stays healthy.

    Dowtin & Ambrose are the real unknowns that were signed as UDFA's but hey Bart Scott was a UDFA so we'll have to see how that pans out but obviously they are not anything you would plan on building your defense around - at least not at this point. Sapp has the biggest hill to climb & unfortunately, I just don't think he will be able to stay healthy.

    I agree with your prediction about Harris being the only returning starter, Pace, Thomas & Scott are almost definitely going to be CAP casualties next off-season so, the more I think about it, you could be right about locking Maybin up during the season this year, that could be a very smart, proactive move for the Jets front office.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 08-12-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us