Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JETS biggest issue ... By far ... LB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

JETS biggest issue ... By far ... LB

Pace , Scott, Thomas

They looked like 90 year old men chasing kids around. I never thought it was possible for these guy to actually look slower than last year.

I think I was wrong.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the o-line is still the bigger issue

I expect once the season gets going the Jets will be mostly in a nickel set.

Hopefully the backers are Harris and Davis,so I expect the playing time of the other backers to be much less this year

The D-line looks like it's gonna be a real strong point this year

Figure the down 4 can be Pouha,Mo devito,Ellis,with Coples and Maybin coming in on passing downs

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LB?? Really??

Pace Scott and Thomas will all be phased out next year by davis, maybin and sapp(fingers crossed)

now that OL on the other hand......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    LB?? Really??

Pace Scott and Thomas will all be phased out next year by davis, maybin and sapp(fingers crossed)

now that OL on the other hand......
    Not saying Oline is not an issue ... I just feel we are going to be destroyed by the better TEs, and as we saw last night, backs that can catch out of the backfield.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Not saying Oline is not an issue ... I just feel we are going to be destroyed by the better TEs, and as we saw last night, backs that can catch out of the backfield.
    Demario Davis will be the answer to backs catching out of the backfield.

His speed will counteract that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the jets O is by far the biggest problem. its going to be a long season

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Pace , Scott, Thomas

They looked like 90 year old men chasing kids around. I never thought it was possible for these guy to actually look slower than last year.

I think I was wrong.
    I have to admit Bart looked pretty bad out there. DD better put his big boy pants on because I'm thinking he'll be thrown into the fire sooner than we thought. Pace, and Thomas are still alright on running downs, but I don't think they'll see many 3rd downs this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    Nice insight Giantdan

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post

Lets assume that's true (and at this point that is a big assumption) What happens when teams go no huddle and keep Pace, Scott, Thomas, ect in the game. They can't keep up with RB's and are just over matched with the good TE's.

LB is a big issue. Safety is a big ?...

But yes.. The offensive line is the biggest issue. They are bad (aside from Mangold who is the best in the NFL at his position). Brick even looked bad. Sanchez does adequate when he has time... when he is pressured he loses it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post

We also all need to root for Dowtin to stay healthy and see if he can show anything to make the 53 man roster so he can also help in coverage / STs.

And Sapp to get/stay healthy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well hopefully we play more 43/46 packages so we only need 3 quality LBs.

A 43 LB core of Pace(Thomas)/Harris/Davis wouldn't suck nearly as bad.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthier View Post
    Lets assume that's true (and at this point that is a big assumption) What happens when teams go no huddle and keep Pace, Scott, Thomas, ect in the game. They can't keep up with RB's and are just over matched with the good TE's.

LB is a big issue. Safety is a big ?...

But yes.. The offensive line is the biggest issue. They are bad (aside from Mangold who is the best in the NFL at his position). Brick even looked bad. Sanchez does adequate when he has time... when he is pressured he loses it.
    Then force an incompletion or take a penalty and sub out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    TC with hitting started Sunday 7/29...Yesterday was 8/10
    No game planning
    Vanilla plays
    Holmes, Kerley, Hunter out
    Mangold/BMoore missed a few days of practice

Improvement is needed, OL needs to tighten up BUT

It's early..It's week 1 of preseason

And a process

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'd be right. OLB has always been my biggest concern. Pace is just done. I really do not expect him to make the team. Thomas OK I think he will look better then he did last night but is still average at best. He is also the only one in the group with any cover ability. People seem to like Maybin but for a 3rd down OLB he lacks a lot of basic abilities. It is the only spot I see no real talent at. I can actually see us using our BU S as OLBs at some point. No clue why we didn't at least sign a 1 year patch for OLB. Nearest I can tell they are waiting to see who Baltimore cuts.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the "players" we put on the field last night are our starters at line backer, we are going to get smoked.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    TC with hitting started Sunday 7/29...Yesterday was 8/10
    No game planning
    Vanilla plays
    Holmes, Kerley, Hunter out
    Mangold/BMoore missed a few days of practice

Improvement is needed, OL needs to tighten up BUT

It's early..It's week 1 of preseason

And a process
    You are a mangenius, among boys. I'm not worried about anyone but Bart. I was hoping the weight loss, and new attitude was going to pay off, but he got flat out run by BenJarvus Green-Ellis. That isn't gonna work. DD is gonna have to learn on the fly. Thankfully he looked very good last night.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's definitely an issue, but biggest thing has to be the OLine. Too many 3 and outs, too much playing from behind.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post
    It's definitely an issue, but biggest thing has to be the OLine. Too many 3 and outs, too much playing from behind.
    I feel like Hooper in JAWS talking to the Mayor ...

'it looks like you are going to ignore this particular problem until it swims up behind you and bites you in the ASS!'
    Last edited by Dunnie; 08-11-2012 at 12:17 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post
    OL depth is still a need don't think we have a BU T but that is not a bigger need IMO. That is something they can find on the waver wire. Last night was not the same top 5 OL we have seen over the last few years. Mangold played bad in this game he was obviously tired and lagging from his flight from London still. He didn't get any rest because he was in practice when he got back then was right back on a plane for the game. DBick looked bad which is not his norm. He really has no excuse but we know he is better then that. Howard looked OK I guess thought he blew more assignments then anyone but some here say he played good. Don't really have high expectations for him.

The starting Gs didn't look bad they just couldn't do much with the ends and Mangold struggling. 1st pre the sloppy fat OL who just got back in shape usually does have some issues. OLs are not known for looking good in preseason. Both Moore and Slauson where banged up last year so likely both are still working out some kinks. A few missed assignments but nothing overly bad. Hunter and Landolt where both injured which didn't help. Kroul should just be cut now as well as Koloto, Heyer, and Campbell. Vlad actually made some good blocks though. I am OK with him as a BU G. All the talk of how bad he is Vlad was actually the bright spot IMO. Celeb shrugged but I wondered why they had him at G and not C where he spent most of camp.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I have to admit Bart looked pretty bad out there. DD better put his big boy pants on because I'm thinking he'll be thrown into the fire sooner than we thought. Pace, and Thomas are still alright on running downs, but I don't think they'll see many 3rd downs this year.
    Pace looked awesome on the line, but he was definitely a liability on passing downs. And as sad as it sounds, he looked great compared to Bart Scott.