Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: JETS biggest issue ... By far ... LB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    FIrst off, I appreciate the discussion....as for once on this board its actually about football, and I understand what you are talking about conceptually.

However you have to separate RBs and TEs.

We have been notoriously bad vs screen passes and that is because we do not have sideline to sideline LBs, which I will concede, but only 1 OLB can defend a screen, that falls more on the ILBs yet again.

As for as the TE....what LBs in the entire league cover Gronk/hernandez? That has been on our safeties, 100%
    I'm not saying to wasn't the Ss as well but the OLB had some blame in that too. I don't care if you say 10% again the fact is they didn't help at all. It was just something I notice every friggen game last year. There is no doubt in my mind we just don't have enough talent at OLB. None of them are the whole package. They are all just situational OLB at this point. Say this guy can run block good, this guy can cover good, and this guy can Blitz good but I don't see anyone that is great at one thing much less two or 3. Sorry but that OLB core need a face lift bad. If we are switching personnel every down that is just not right.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Yes I am aware but they have the cap room to cut either of them. Check the Cap page we are good. It is not an 8 mil hit it is only a 1.7 mil hit(Pace). We are already paying him the rest. We took about that letting Cotch go. We have a lot of cap room and by cutting him NOW we save anther 3 mil next year. The money adds up if he can't play better then what we have he is disposable. People saying we can't cut him because it would be too big a hit aren't getting the actual #s. If he is useless he shouldn't be taking up a roster spot period. So even if you say 6 mil in space you'd still be able to cut him and spend 1.5 on a replacement easy. Heck at worst with 6 mil -1.7 then we trade for player x make 3 mil(best case not naming names just hoping) you'd still have over 1 mil space with Smith(2mil who is likely not to make the team at this point) and a ton of players that are making over 500k that can open up some room if needed. We have 2 Ks either one save 540k if cut. That is worst case mind you we would still end up with around 4 mil in cap space to work with. You don't need a whole lot of room once the season starts. Unless your still holding onto the thought we are going to trade for a 6 mil a year player which I just don't see.
    Smith's injury settlement will count against the cap. A guy gets injured on the field, you cant just cut him, there are workmens comp issues.

The 6 mill goes pretty quick. almost 3/4 mill for a Practice Squad. The you need to hold 1.75 mill in reserve for Landry's incentives, if not the money comes out of next years cap, just off hand I will say there must be another 1mill in incentives on the other players on the team. That leaves 3.5 mill for signing an august cut and a replacement player during the year. Maybin and Sapp were two guys you signed last year. If you want to use that money up to cut pace a year early you can but it will hurt you this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Smith's injury settlement will count against the cap. A guy gets injured on the field, you cant just cut him, there are workmens comp issues.

The 6 mill goes pretty quick. almost 3/4 mill for a Practice Squad. The you need to hold 1.75 mill in reserve for Landry's incentives, if not the money comes out of next years cap, just off hand I will say there must be another 1mill in incentives on the other players on the team. That leaves 3.5 mill for signing an august cut and a replacement player during the year. Maybin and Sapp were two guys you signed last year. If you want to use that money up to cut pace a year early you can but it will hurt you this year.
    He isn't even on the IR. That restriction is only if they can't work out or pass a physical for other teams I believe not for sprains and bruises. They can cut him if they want. If that was the case every guy not making the roster would come up with a sprain right before final cut. Players always have some bumps and bruises. He is listed as day to day.

Granted it isn't a lot but we have dealt with worse. Dallas was over the cap last year if you go by the actual numbers. Not all salaries go against the cap. Im not a cap expert nor would I want to be. I do get that just because you only see 6 mil that doesn't mean you only have 6 mil. This team is not in bad cap shape right now I do know that. They are setting up for next year and if they can save 3 mil on next years cap by dropping someone they don't intend on starting they should. And yes I don't think Pace should be starting on any team right now. Even if you do move some of those incentives to next years budget they would still be better off IMO. At least this way there is hope one of the younger guys will improve.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LBs are fine. We have some young guys ready to step in for the old and slow-footed.